Have you ever....?

ladystorm

been in a store and saw something that would work just wonderful as a prop for miniatures. Whether it be for dispay or for gaming? The other day at the petstore in the fish dept I found some cool "ruins" to use. One was a crumbling corner wall of a building and the other was a row of Greek style pillars. So I got them. Wondering if anyone else does this

Lady Tam

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have way too many fish tanks in my house, but personally I find that ornaments for fish tanks are a bit pricy for me to use with miniatures (maybe its just that we Aussies get charged more for tank ornaments than the rest of the world).

The good deals are those racks of plastic trees you can get at pet stores.

Amazing what you can find at garage sales on the weekend.  Especially stuff kids have played with and then got tired of or just outgrew it.  Toys, aquariums, etc. great for gaming.  

Try it if you haven't already.  Believe me as a father of two, it's a great way to get regular stuff (must be in good shape) and not pay through the nose at the stores

tanks are a bit pricy for me to use with miniatures
 Must be really sticking it to you then. For my crumblin wall I paid $1.99 and the pillars were $3.99. And, I can get Double use out of them. If I get tired of them as props they can go into a fish tank! We have that problem too! Too many fish tanks!

Lady Tam

never seen an Easter Island head. probably cost more because of the detail. My two things are small 'resin" like peices, not much detail. Other thing you could do is have people here keep an eye for something like that, price them, and see if they are cheaper (and worth the shipping cost)

I saw an awsome "set up" of a sunken ruined castle. it was about two feet long and very expensive. Would like to find a way to justify buying it!  :D  (granted I am feamle and usually don't need to justify my spending, but it sure does help!)

Lady Tam

I think I saw a sea dragon skeleton last time I looked at tank scenary that would be a good piece for minis.  

Garden shops also have interesting pieces at times, giant snails, small bridges, for like in terariums, not foot traffic.  

I'm always looking at stuff, finding things and saying, I could...

cbs

You might also try out those everything for a dollar type stores.  They have tons of little statues and such.  I just got two nice resin statues of chinese women but they were painted up to be african.  Odd since they are most certainly wearing chinese dress.  Anyhow I am going to paint them stone color anyway.

Rocks! GOt to love them. On Monday when we went to our drop off point o float down the river I saw some nice rocks. Started putting them in a bag on the floor of the truck! They were just the right size for large boulders. Found some nice one at my Grandpas that look like worn away building blocks. Kinda of squarish but worn at the edges.

Lady Tam

I could totally use that as a centerpiece to a diorama! and I said it earlier, my gaming group needs to get away from European analogs.

Armorcast makes Easter Island heads. I know, because I bought 3 of them. Actually, they make 3 different heads, but I needed an identical trio for my current RPG campaign so I ordered a custom set straight from Armorcast. $24 + $6 S&H meant $10/head, but they are worth it.