Sign in to follow this  
nocturnalsun

Respect

Ok I have the most respect for you guys possible, you all paint these tiny little mini's and make them look so real. I just went to my FLGS and bought Dern Ironfist #2661 Good lord I can barely see his eyes. How do you people paint the eyes?!?!?1 HOW?!?!?! HOW I ASK YOU?!?!?! :O

patiently, carefully, and with a lot of practice.

I usually blow them them first few times.

check in the Painting Tips and Advise forum for more help.

cbs

What blew my mind at first was that they were not talking about just getting the dot in there, but how to do eyelashes, get irises and pupils, and get the right expression.

I find a small brush, a steady hand, and practicing on some of the Warlord models by Werner Klocke helped a lot, since he does really nice smooth eyes.

When I painted my 1st few mini's, I used to take a pin or needle to get it in there.  Then I ordered a new Winston & Newton brush (#0000) I think is their smallest size?  Then was amazed I could get the point of the brush in there.  

So basically, if you use your current brush now, dip it in water to straighten the point out, and try your best to get the point in there, real careful like, and STILL can't do it.  It might be cause you're not using the smallest sized brush you can get.

Oh, and of course, get the round headed brushes, not the flats or others.

1) Seal your model with Testor Dullcote flat

2) Let it dry COMPLETELY

3) With steady hand, dot in eye using 005 size pigma micron pen.

Works everytime!

Shading the socket, eyelids, etc, takes a very steady hand with a paintbrush....

-Daniel

Hey check out the topic under Painting Tips entitled "How do you paint eyes?"  That was my first posting and using the ideas and tips in there, I can almost paint a decent looking eye.

It works every time, except when I do it.  I usuall mess up at least one eye per mini. :down: There always seems to be one eye on a fig that looks great and one I just cant seem to get.

I am getting better at it though :)

I will repeat what everyone else says:  Practice, Practice,Practice!  Don't give up!

Actually, nocturnalsun, you might want to check the "Miniature Painting Extravaganza" forum. There's alot of step by step stuff in there, and we've been getting some good tips from folks... I know that there's an 'Eyes' thread in there, too!

Don't discount miniature selection when you are learning to paint.  Look for minis with larger eyes so you can learn the basic techniques of painting eyes before you move on to nearly impossible eyes like most of the ones on Sandra Garrity's figs.  

I'm not bashing Sandra G.  She is a much better sculptor than I am but her details are all very difficult for a newer painter to paint.  

A good way to get your confidence up and get some general practice is to paint up some monsters.  Not the $80.00 dragon sets.  I'm talking Orges and Trolls and the like.

I suggest the cloaker beast as a good beginner's mini.  Don't know the number off the top of my head.  But anybody should be able to just make the entire eyeballs red on that one and still make it look good.

For a while, I was just painting the flesh color over the eyes and leaving them like that.  Honestly, at the game table nobody will notice.

I would actually suggest a dragon as a newbie mini.  If you know how to drybrush, you can get a really good-looking dragon in very little time.  For an example, all the dragons I have posted in Show-Off have been mainly drybrushed.

As for eyes, I find that the more I practice, the steadier my hands get.  This is also relative to my current health, and how much caffieine I've had recently, however.

I'm currently working on the Fire Giant and am finding it quite useful in learning and honing some skills.  I have a hard time creating a "smooth" finished mini like those that have been posted in the Show-off section.  By smooth, I mean a nice transition between colors and from dry-brushing.  The fact that the giant is just a tad bit larger has been helpful for me to practice the color transitions.  Now, the giant still looks pretty rough in comparison to most posted paint jobs, but for me it is an improvement in my skills that I can tell and my family can visually see, so I'm proud...well until I see all of those posted in the Show off section. :down:

Never be ashamed to post minis reguardless of what they look like.  It's the only way to get objective critisism.  I don't think this page is going to devolve into the kind of page that "Cool Mini or Not" is.  They will cut anyone apart if they arn't good enough to win a Golden Deamon and heaven forbid you paint something metal with *gasp* metalics.