Triceratops 1/30 Scale (WIP)

Stern Kestrelmann

STEP 1 Well, after completing the T-Rex earlier this month, I ordered the Triceratops as well. This time I thought I'd do a WIP series on this model. Very impressed with these McVey sculpts. High quality and VERY detailed.

Here's a couple shots of the model after inspection and prep for assembly. I forgot to include a shot of the base. You'll see it after assembly. :poke:

Did I mention I love assembling things.

SK

STEP 2 Okay after multiple pins, some well placed glue, and a liberal amount of squadron putty...

Here's a shot of the assembled model.

Man that was fun.

Up next: PRIME TIME.

post-43-1133359378_thumb.jpg

post-43-1133359454_thumb.jpg

post-43-1133359972_thumb.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Stern!!

That's a nice looking model! Good job on putting it all together. It looks very seamless. If I may ask, what are you planning on doing with all these dinos??

I notice that you have a tube of Squadron putty there. I have been using the green putty, but am wondering what the difference is with the white?? As a note, I own that exact set of files too! :) Also couldn't help but notice that those elastic bands look veeeery familiar as well. ::D:

Hey Morg! Good question. What does one do with huge scale dino models? Display them. In fact, I'm taking the Rex down to my FLGS and putting it under glass for a couple of weeks.

As far as the putty goes, I've always used the white putty, it dries fast, and excess is easily removed after it has set into the gaps. Is the green putty crumbly and chalk-like after it dries? I've tried using green stuff as filler, but getting excess green stuff on once it has dried is next to impossble.

I'll post more progress shots once I get a chance to work more on this big boy. The base is contoured to fit next to the T-Rex and is supposed to depict a chase scene between the two dinos. I've not tried to match the bases up yet...

SK

AFAIK green and white putty are identical. At least I never noticed a difference. I think the usage would depend more on preference and the application (i.e. if you're puttying over a light colored material you'd use green to observe your progress when sanding). In the end, the difference may be a lot like the difference between white and yellow American cheese: plenty of people claim a taste difference when the only real one is a few ounces of food coloring...

Damon.

Looking good.

I've used both green and white squadron. I have noticed shinkage in the white if you use it as a filler for larger areas (like filling in a base). The shrinkage caused it to pull away from the sides. I haven't noticed this with the green.

TS

Hey Doc, of course.

Black Primer

Base coat- Scorched Earth Brown (GW)

Highlight- Muddy Brown (MSP)

Wash- Black ink (GW) and Scorched Earth Brown (GW) mix 1:1

Highlight- Earth Brown (MSP)

Wash- Black ink (light mix/ 1:2 water)

Highlight- Leather Brown/ Tanned Leather (MSP) mix 1:1

Wash- Black ink/ water mix 1:1

Highlight- Tanner Leather/ Amber Gold (MSP) mix 1:1

Highlight- Amber Gold

Wash Black Ink/ Scorched Earth mix 2:1

Highlight Amber Gold/ White mix 3:1

Does this help?

SK

Hey thanks VL. He's a big boy for sure. Struggling more with the bulkiness and large base. This model is actually heavier than the T-Rex model! Can't imagine a model this size in metal! :unsure:

Yes, that white putty is good stuff. I love it. Expecially for pewter and much, much cheaper than green stuff! It's about 3-4$ USD for a 65gram tube. It sets and dries very nice too. I've not had any problems with shrinkage, but I've never used it for really big gaps. Besides, if you've got to contend with gaps that big it's time to find a new miniature maker! :lol:

SK