Sign in to follow this  
Ivarr

The Empire of Malvernis

If you went with mech inf or rifle sections at their minimum sizes giving you more sections you'd get more free stands out of it that way, but yeah, you'd be stuck with pretty much an all infantry force in smaller games for Conscription to give you enough stands to make a difference.

I kinda miss the 1.5 Doctrine where you could designate a model/infantry stand as an inquisitor.

My not have been all that useful, but it added a lot of feel to the faction.

Oh and I just noticed the Banshee is a Recon unit. Is that a misprint, I thought is was Assault?

Nope, it's recon. I see it as a flanking unit.

Thanks.

Ok, so I want to try and get at least one force finished before I move on to the next (Rach or Adon).

I've got one of each:

Revenant

Wraith

Thug

Specter

Ghast

Banshee

Hedghehog (N-scale).

I'll be adding a mortar section, so I'll need at least one more Hedgehog, also, another Ghast.

What should I do for the rest? I'm trying to keep things all in scale, so that rules out the existing Grundor and MkIV tanks.

I want to add Nomads, a Wights, a Ghost, and Assasins seem like good all-rounders. I do like the Banshee too.

I'd get at least another Banshee. Have them operate in pairs against weakened targets. You'll probably want at least 3 or 4 Hedgehogs total to make sure you have enough transport capacity. A Hedgehog can only carry one mortar stand unless you give it increased capacity which will slow it down. You'll definitely want to add some ECM/EST units to your force, they've become indispensible, there are plenty on the Open Market list to fit your particular idiom.

They dont have it modeled yet, but I would not go to battle without at least a couple of Stalkers, when I am playing Malvernis. Great soft vehics that pack a wallop.

Pair it up with a Nomad or other ECM carrier and its good to go.

Overall though, with as much success as I have had running Malvernis and the Stalkers, I have been disapointed with Malvernis overall. Well, its not so much Malvernis itself, its actually the section build rules that frustrate me with Malvernis. With their docterine to get a free rifle stand... Well, rifle platoons require a minimum of 6 infatnry teams as it is. That can get damn expensive. I love infantry, but unless I am playing a 10,000 point game, I dont see me ever fielding a rifle platoon cause of the minimum expense that goes into it.

Mechanized inantry is a little better, but still have issues there because the build rules say that you have to have enough infantry and transports to carry ALL of them BEFORE adding in the extra stand given by the docterine. Which means that either you have to make sure to include a tranpost that has more carrying space than the number of infantry stands during the initial build, or you will have the bonus stand standing around walking while the rest of the section is riding in the transports. Just an inconvenience all around.

Or if you go the route of the ultra salvo strike option... well it only really benefits you if you get a bunch of models that have 3+ direct fire weapon systems with decent range in each. Otherwise, you are committing hari-kari while only getting like a +1 to hit... not a good trade off either...

Mechanized inantry is a little better, but still have issues there because the build rules say that you have to have enough infantry and transports to carry ALL of them BEFORE adding in the extra stand given by the docterine. Which means that either you have to make sure to include a tranpost that has more carrying space than the number of infantry stands during the initial build, or you will have the bonus stand standing around walking while the rest of the section is riding in the transports. Just an inconvenience all around.

Two Hedgehogs have enough room for six basic infantry stands (IIRC). So you could take five and get one free? Yeah, that doesn't sound all that valuable.

Thanks for the heads up on the Stalkers.

4 Rifle Teams = 336 points with no upgrades

2 faction Hedgehogs = 336 with no upgrades

total = 672

You could get four such sections in a 3000 point build at 2688 points which of course would mean four free infantry stands. Of course though the rest of your points would be spent upgrading the infantry to be useful against CAVs (either AT-23s or Satchel Charges).

Alternatively,

2 Armored Rifle Teams = 238 with no upgrades

2 faction Hedgehogs = 336 with no upgrades

total = 574

You could get five sections this way at 2870 points with the attendant five free rifle sections. Though you'd probably want to limit it to four so you'd have more points for upgrades. So four sections of armored rifle teams would cost you 2296 and four free rifle teams. With this set up, I'd give all the infantry shock (20 pts * 12 total infantry stands= 240pts). This brings you to 2536 pts. I'd then give the rifle teams AT-23s (60pts * 4 rifle teams = 240pts) which brings you to 2776 points. Then purchase the difference in Satchel Charges. The way I'd use that is double move the transports, dismount the heavy infantry and charge into CC while the rifle teams dismount but do not get into b2b. The rifle teams basically pick off anything that survives the CC. With a total of 24 FA-45s on the board and 4 G-11s that there's plenty of shredder weapons to go 'round for soft targets. Now of course this would be an extreme example attempting to maximize the use the free platoons at 3000 points.

Are the Armored Rifle Teams Bulky? Then I think there would need to be another 'hog in each section (Transport/3 each)

....A Hedgehog can only carry one mortar stand unless you give it increased capacity which will slow it down....

It doesn't look like this upgrade survived Beta (which is to say that I couldn't find it anymore).

Increased Transport Capacity is on pg 115 (127 in the PDF). In my example above each section would have two 'hogs with one Armored Rifle Team (ART) each and one carrying the free Rifle Team. Bulky makes the ART take the space of two infantry stands, the 'hog has Transport/3 so there's plenty of room for the free Rifle Team.

To make it a little more realistic I came up with this using only Malvie models that I own. (Which amounts to a Wight, Wraith, Ghost, Specter, two Hedgehogs, two Hunters, and two Banshees. For infantry that amounts to 3 ART stands, 6 Rifle Teams, 6 Rifle Teams with heavy weapons)

Mech Inf Section 814pts

2 Hedgehog

2 Armored Rifle Team

Free Rifle Team

Shock Training x3

AT-23 (Rifle Team)

Satchel Charge x6

Armor Section 1395pts

Wight

Ghost

Wraith

Specter

Hunter

Rifle Section 785pts

5 Rifle Teams (one free)

1 Armored Rifle Team

AT-23 x5 (for the Rifle Teams)

FiST (Armored Rifle Team)

Smoke Strike x2

As an alternative, drop the Hunter, give the rest of the Rifle section FiST and 200 points of strikes.

With this set-up you have the mech inf charge in for CC, again with the free model hanging back for the AT-23 shot, though it could add an extra +1 if it moved forward with the heavy inf. The Rifle section hangs back and concentrates AT-23 attacks on smaller CAVs and vehicles while the heavy stand calls in the strikes and provides anti-soft capability with it's two FA-45s. The CAVs are an odd mix but you've got a couple of decent anti-soft models, a good anti-CAV model, and one swing hitter. What this force lacks is ECM/EST support, but that's becuase I'm limiting it to what Mark IV or Grundor House models I have (aside from the infantry). If I opened this up to open market models I'd drop the Specter and Ghost and probably add either a Starhawk Vs or Dictator 60s with a couple of Kahns or Talons (again, because that's what I have).

Personally, I like the HoK special ability, but you have other options for the Conscription Doctrine.

Mech Inf section

Rifle Team * 4 = 84*4 = 336

Vindicator * 3 = 109*3 = 327

Free Rifle Team

Total is 663, which means your free RT is about 12% of the points of the section. That's almost worthwhile. :upside:

Couple sections like that and you've made some decent points out of the free RTs.

And Vindicators are pretty frickin quick. DOuble move 34 and drop the infantry in CCV. Even stock Rifle Teams are +5 in CC, so those cheap teams will be whupping most CAV. I'm not sure you need Satchel Charges and Shock to get the job done, frankly. The whole point is do it cheap, and win the point battle.

PS

What I like about the satchel charges and shock is going for the quick kill. Most of the Malvie units I bought (a couple years ago) were based on looks more than anything else, that's why the odd mix. That list was to see what I could do with the models I have and the Conscription ability. If I were going with a more CAV/tank heavy force I'd use the HoK ability.

So I've got enough unbased infantry for 6 light mortars, and 4 heavy mortars.

Neither are armored. There's no Bulky SA on the unarmored mortar teams, is this correct?

Can I use either with HoK, I don't think so as they are IFM?