Mini games

Talio

Iron Kingdoms is a new mini game, it uses sorta a mix of fantasy/sci fi for it.

Mini's look cool thou, I may pick up a few to see what they are like

Randy M

Yup! Iron Kingdoms is way kool!  :)

BTW, just a quickie correction, Iron Kingdoms is the setting in which both the RPG and the wargame are set. The wargame rules are called Warmachine.

>>ReaperWolf

Since the minis came out I've got IK word on the brain :p

the setting I really like + the Necronomican is on my list of gotta get books due to art, this is one mini/rpg game I may have to get into(unlike that other War errrr worded game :p ) + I love the look of the 'Jacks as well!!

Do you know if they'll release them seperatly other than box/faction sets??

Also didn't they release a trilogy of modules that won some Ernies awards?? (all I can think of is awesome picture on the cover of a woman with something around her) that was set in the Iron Kingdom world?

Randy M

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I-Kore has a couple of games out that are cool: VOID (Sci-Fi) and Celtos (Fantasy).  Neither require large amounts of figures, as you can play from 500 point armies (small skirmish level forces) to has big as you like.  The more points you have to spend, the more figures you'll need of course.  Celtos is a very new game so all the armies are not complete.  More figures are on the way.

VOID has been around longer and has more figures available, even starter boxed sets.  They also have more vehicles to use.  The mechanics of the games are fairly simple, using an alternative activation system where you move a unit and have them do their thing, then your opponent respondes by moving a unit and doing their thing, etc. instead of you moving all your forces at once, firing, then your opponent moving.

Best of all, you can download the rules for VOID and Celtos from the I-kore website www.i-kore.com for FREE.  Their .pdf files straight from the book, illistrations and all.  They're not super high quality, but more than adaquate for finding out if you like the rules and such and you can always buy a hardcopy later if you really want to.

Oh, and the figures.  They're quite nice.  I've only had one problem with the few I've bought.  Otherwise their is little flash, few mold lines, and nice detailed sculpts.

Check em out, I think you'll like them.

Celtos for me is sorta hit & miss on the minis, the ones I like I REALLY like the ones I don't I DON'T

I did pick up the dwarf with the warhammer raised in the air (he has wings on his helmet & slung across his back is a beer keg), I really like him, eventually he'll be a mini for my next dwarf pc.

But some of the warriors with the giant horn helms just don't cut it for me, maybe they look different in person??

But anyways it's good to have a variety of games out there thou, just make all of them better in the long run.

Randy M

Celtos for me is sorta hit & miss on the minis, the ones I like I REALLY like the ones I don't I DON'T

But some of the warriors with the giant horn helms just don't cut it for me, maybe they look different in person??

I can understand those sentiments.  That's someting I don't like about WHFB, all the silly headresses and such.  So far I've only bought a few Sidhe (elves) and they haven't been too bad.  The pack of swordsmen I bought had these silly pointed helms, but a quick run in with some cutters and the helms are (mostly) round now.   :p

I too wanna look into Warmachine, it does look very cool.

The Ik warmachine figures - loved the humans; the warcasters and guards etc but hate the actual warmachines!

Anyone who's read the comic The Red Star has got to love the Forces of Khador. The box sets and singles have been selling really well in the store.

I-Kore, despite being from my home town and me wanting to support them, are overpriced and overpriced.

- Did I mention they were vastly overpriced?

OK, I'm in the Delaware/Phildelphia area and am very active in the newark gaming community.  I pride myself to think I know or have met at one time or another every gamer in this area.  And for the most part they like the standard steroetypical games, i e magic, warhammer.  I was thinking about picking up blood bowl, but once again, I think that you are forced to play with games workshop mini's and for me, that stinks, cause I hate gamesworkshop.  I have been looking at some of the wizkids games, and almost made a decision untill I found out they came painted, and that ruined it.  Guys at the game store were talking about a warmachine demo coming up soon, anyone know where I can get some info on that, a website maybe?

I have to tighten my belt a bit, because the store just restocked the reaper and got in some brand new rackham figs, which I have been slobbering over since I first saw the catalog.  Interestingly enough, it seems the makers of the better figs, don't have games to go along with them.  Like I said I'm planning on getting into d and d this summer, which may or may not satisfy me, at the same time checking out warlord.  OK thats enough from me.  Thanks for all the help.

Talio

Miniatures games and/or games using miniatures ...

from Reaper (never played, but plan to pick up soon):

CAV

Warlord

from Kenzer & Company:

Fairy Meat

HackMaster RPG (Reaper minis work great for this game ... just don't tell their miniatures manager that I told ya  :;): )

Final Days

I haven't played much Games Workshop lately (don't like the figs as well as Reaper's and Kenzer & Company's), but they make Mordheim, Warhammer, and Warhammer 40K

Guys at the game store were talking about a warmachine demo coming up soon, anyone know where I can get some info on that, a website maybe?

Privateer Press's website is http://www.privateerpress.com/  that covers all the stuff related to their game world. Maybe one of these days we will actually see the main world book. I've been waiting since January last year for it. *sigh* If you are just interested in Warmachine the website is http://www.ikwarmachine.com/

I have to tighten my belt a bit, because the store just restocked the reaper and got in some brand new rackham figs, which I have been slobbering over since I first saw the catalog.  Interestingly enough, it seems the makers of the better figs, don't have games to go along with them.  

Rackham makes Confrontation, which is actually a skirmish game. Mind you most of their stuff is in French, but it is in the proccess of being released in English.  I've been considering looking into it as I'll probably have enough of the Lions faction painted up for an army by the time I'm done painting all the ones I've been drooling over.

I am seriously looking forward to seeing the Warlord game too. More excuses to buy all those pretty Werner figures. *evil grin*

I've played Confrontation, and it is a decent game.  Let's face it though, it's their minis that rock!  I still love my Reaper figs, but dammit, those Rackham figs are the coolest!

Don't worry too much if you buy only the French cards though.  They have places online that have converted all the cards to English.  Most new blisters in the U.S. are only coming out in English, although some dealers are in a hurry to get the "newest" figs and may still stock French versions.  For a short time the French card versions were a bit cheaper to buy as well.

If you plan on buying the Rackham figs anyway, and just need an excuse to collect them besides painting, their ruleset is reasonable, and they don't require a huge investment.  You can see the point values of each fig on their blister pack, and a 300 to 600 point army is typical.  One boss fig can easily be about 150 points all by itself.

Ok, here's my question.  I too am like Talio, I mostly paint, and have never played before.  I've looked into many of the games that have been mentioned here.  I really like the looks of the WarMachine minis, and may consider purchasing a few of them and the rulebook to learn how to play.  Thing is, since I only paint fantasy miniatures and all of my buildings are in the medieval architectural style I don't feel that WarMachine minis would fit into my scenery well.  So, what would be a recommendation of an "entry level" game where the figs would fit in better?  Just so you know, I despise GW minis and am considering boycotting them too.  (I only have their paints and am replacing them with Reapers.)  Oh and another stipulation, I'm not very skilled in making custom bases.  I don't know if that limits selection or not. ???

Entry level fantasy mini game? Well, 100 Kingdoms by Black Orc Games is not dirt cheap, but it is very easy and has cool fantasy minis that go with it. Heck, my favorite armies are done by Wiebe and Garrity.

http://www.100kingdoms.com

They also have Warband, a skirmish game. Pretty much uses the same system as 100 Kingdoms does, looks good although I have not played it (although I have played 100 Kingdoms as a skirmish game). D/L the rules for free and check it out.