Marthrangul and Primer

kellinator

I apologize for asking a fairly nitpicky question.

One of my co-workers has purchased Marthrangul for his dragon-loving stepdaughter for Christmas so they can paint it together. (All together now: Awwwwwwwww... ::): ) He wants to go ahead and prime it and asked me which primer I would recommend. I haven't primed anything that large or used an airbrush (he has an airbrush he might use) so I thought I would come to you fine people for advice. The primer must be water-based. He was thinking gray but he's flexible about color. The painting will probably be fairly simple because of her age, so a dark primer might help with shading. Any advice?

Thanks! ::):

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He wants to go ahead and prime it...The primer must be water-based.

Vallejo makes a grey primer in their model air color range and their game color range has white primer. I'm not 100% sure that it's water based but the rest of their range is.

Reaper Master Series and Pro Series both have a brush on primer (looks white) but I've never used those. Again, I don't see if it is water based.

Hope that helps a little. I usually use the aerosol can primers, but they're definitely not water based. Is his concern over water-based primers an environmental one or health. If he were to use a mask, out-of-doors, he could really minimize the health risks and greatly simplify the process :)

Thanks

AWhang

Most of the acrylic miniature specific primers are water based - so pretty much all of the above will work well enough. That includes a number of the spray primers (the propelant though could be an issue for painting in doors or with children).

I played around a bit with using Model Master acrylic paints with the airbrush a few months ago and they worked quite well. But than again so do the half dozen or so other primers which I have used. :wacko: Mostly just use several thin coats of primer to get good coverage without loosing the detail.

Anywho, probably the more important step is cleaning and filling/blending the joints. I haven't looked closely at this specific dragon, but with all the other multi-part models I have done - there will be gaps to be filled. That can take some time to get right, and make it look seamless.

Water based primers take longer to set up firm. At least 2 days of full drying, a week is ideal.

No Prep Metal Paint, found in Michaels Crafts, also works well, and comes in a variety of colors. It should be allowed to dry for several days.

Another thing that works well is Future Floor Finish ( avail at Walmart, target, etc ) mixed with the acrylic paint of your choice. Make a 50:50 mix of future/water, and add paint till it covers well. This stuff again should be allowed to dry for a few days.

I've uses the MSP and the Pro paint primers. I prefer the MSP primer. However overall I've had best results with spray primer as it goes on much more evenly in my oppinion. I don't know how MSP primer would fair in an air brush as I've never tried it.

As far as color goes. I so prefer white. Black dulls all your colors far too much, I've not experimented with grey yet, but nothing can compare to the brilliance you can get out of white.

Kell,

A water-based primer----

Obviously, the aerosols are out. With that said, you're limited to brush/air brush.

Priming the dragon with a brush would be a real pain.

Regardless, if you can get me the prepped figure, I'll be more than happy to air-brush prime it for your friend.

I can do about any color needed.

If you're interested in this, just contact me via PM or something.

Kev

defeintly pick up a plastic Lazy Susan type rack to put those on, I found that this summer/fall when I sprayed the big dragons that I had purchased that these are great for gettin all the areas that you miss by holding it or what not. espically since Marth is one heavy dragon, that allows your wrist to relax when spraying.

What I did was hold it first to get primer on the under sides , then put it on the lazy susan & then just sit down or kneel at a table & take it easy sprayin the dragon

Vallejo's Game Color primer is white btw. Also priming with Vallejo, defeintly ask Jester on this one as that's what he uses or at least it's part of his weaponry for tacklin primer jobs.

Also Micheal G has primed with MSP as a test & he says it's great, there is a post with his results in this area of the forum down a bit, need to try that with reg MSPs as I've been wanting to paint up Kaladrax & really don't want to brush that big boney dragon.

hope that helps

RM

Thank you so much, Kevin, but my co-worker has decided that since his stepdaughter will want to do something on Christmas and he hasn't bought the paints yet because he's going to let her pick the colors, their Christmas-day project will be assembling and priming the dragon.

I'm going to pick up some MSP for him this weekend -- any recommendations on how much to thin it for use with an airbrush?

Thank you all for your generous and wonderful help! ::D:

Kelly

I haven't pushed the MSPs through my brush yet, so the short answer is "I don't know".

I generally use a Createx airbrush paint for this purpose. Dick Blick carries 'em and they're not very expensive.

As far as the MSPs, I'd just have to thin it and look at it---as it's very much a "feel" thing for me. I would suspect I'd start at 50/50 and go from there.