vongarr

Power level of factions

One thing I haven't seen in my browsing of the forums is talk of one of the factions being "broken" "beardy" or "cheesy." Is Warlord just that well balanced? Or perhaps it is the maturity level of the players who post?

A little of both. There are certain combos that work very well as a one-trick pony (or a 15,000-shot Elf), but there exists a counter for every strategy, and between two combined-arms forces, it'll usually come down to tactics.

I have found it to be very well balanced. I'm not normally one for GW bashing, but the reason I got out of that game was simple. Every time a new faction book came out, it was the most powerful faction in the game! Until the next book of course. That progressed through several revisions before I said enough!

Now that two of the Warlord faction books have come out, I was impressed by the obvious thought that went into them in an attempt to keep them as balanced as possible. While the Necropolis Crypt Legion is tough (pun intended :devil: ) to face against, they are by no means unbeatable. I have yet to face a Reven horde using the new book rules. My Reven player says he doesn't own enough models. ::):

Again, while it reads like :wacko::blink::upside::unsure: I'm sure that in practice even my Dwarves will find a way to be victorious anyways. :bday:

Wild Bill :blues:

As noted above, the game as a whole was/is being developed as a ame of rock, paper, scissors, but on a much more grand scale obviously. There are definitely some units in the game that are extremely powerful, but they might be powerful in melee but poor in magic, or vice versa. Or just the fact that they are more powerful means that you can counter with numbers of lower point units.

Its hard to describe completely.

Yes, because of the fact that a few of the factions have extra units and abilities available to them, they tend to et looked at as "better" than the others, but as WB put it, just cause they have more options doesnt mean they are better options. They still have the same point and game restrictions that the rest of us have in terms of actual gameplay.

I woof and moan with the best of them about wanting "my" faction to get more attention. But, in the end I think I have as much chance as the next person even with the way things are now.

Generally, you will find a small increase in relative wins for the given faction when the book comes out, because both more people are suddenly playing that faction (it's the new hot thing), and because the new models and new spells and equipment lead to games where people not exposed to them haven't had a chance to develop counter strategies. Usually the little bump in winning percentage dies down to normal levels once the novelty wears off and the counter strategies are developed. Then it just goes right back to who is the better general on the field, or who sold their soul to get all those bloody 10's)

My 2 cents on why there is no over powering force in Warlord are two fold , Reaper have done a very nice job on keeping the factions balanced whilst adding new elements to them , and The RAGE system is unpredictable (draw cards) and at the sample relatively simple . Whilst some faction may do some thiings better than others (Elves - archery, etc) it all even out , even spells don't over power the game and if you want some item or device , you have to pay realistic points for them . ::D:

I've only been playing for a few months, but from what I have seen from the games I've watched and been able to participate in it is a balanced game (even with all my moaning about cavalry :angry: ).

I think what Qwyk said was right on...that when the faction books come out and that faction gets new models, troops, spells, and equipment people want to use those new items. However, there are always counter-stratagies (like screening your archers with lots of warriors ::D: ).

I've only tried a couple of other table top games and will stick with Warlord because the system is put together really well and when you get down to it, easy to learn.

I honestly feel the factions and their abilities are fairly balanced, I'd largely agree that there arn't very many loop-holes (if any), and that nearly anything and any combination in the game can be countered with something else.

If I was to look specifically at Faction abilities, I think there is a bit of startification, but I believe we'll see a level playing field after the release of all of the faction books. Reaper appears commited to minimising the classic GW Power Creep where each faction book is more powerful then the last (thereby trying to get power gamers to buy into the newset and most poweful army so that they can compete and win).

Off the top of my head I'm going to sort faction abilities into categories numerically (1 being the most powerful, and 3 being the weakest).

1) Crusaders, Dwarves, Reven, Darkspawn, Mercenary, Necropolis (Crypt legion), Necropolis (Thule book Default)

2) Overlords, Elves, Reptus, Nefsokar

3) Necropolis (Warlord rule book)

So the majority of factions are playing a a very level playing field, and even the ones I list as 2's are not lagging very far behind, especially if you design your army to take advantage of your faction abilities specifically (The Overlords and Elves can easily push up to 3 if they field a number of bond slaves, and archers respectively).

I'd put the elves in that top bracket. They can effectively shoot into any situation. 500 points of elven archers can outshoot 500 points of any other archers as long as the faction abilities are in effect.

I'm not complaining. Elves are still balanced, they get trashed by cavalry, but they might belong in the top bracket.

I think what Qwyk said was right on...that when the faction books come out and that faction gets new models, troops, spells, and equipment people want to use those new items. However, there are always counter-stratagies (like screening your archers with lots of warriors ::D: ).

Yeah, sure, make me regret ever even discussing ways to stop cavalry by using it against me ::D:

Well played Tuesday night!!! Don't worry, I'm thinking of counters to your counters as I type this. :devil:

I'd have to agree that most factions are admirably balanced, with a few caveats:

1. Reptus badly need some loving (and I don't even play them, although I face them occasionally). A grade 3 cleric would help a lot, and they can use some extra officers as well. As it is, they are often forced to field their warlord. Now, he's immensely strong, but in low-point battles it's a pain. The Reptus have nice solo's, though.

2. It's a good thing that Necropolis don't have a cleric or they'd be likely too strong. As it is, they are an interesting mix between cheap disposable grunts, medium- to hard hitting officers, and a very nice mage. And don't leave home without Lord Vandrian, unless you play the Crypt Legion.

3. Reven are the only faction in my experience that is possibly 'broken'. They have the best collection of grunts in the game (bull orc warriors and bull orc archers are both at the top of the cost-efficiency curve), a fairly cheesy piece of equipment in the form of the Axe of Grauga, and an otherwise very complete list, including a wide selection of solid officers. My vote for strongest faction, easily.

4. Dwarves have a very strong ability in 'Bane', and would likely be broken but for their generally expensive models (especially their melee grunts and warlord). As it is, they are a very solid match for anyone else, but not yet out of bounds. That gryphon needs to die, though.

5. I haven't played or faced Elves or Darkspawn yet, so I cannot give any kind of founded opinion on them yet. Both look like factions that need very specialized tactics, though.

6. Last but not least, there's a huge secret advantage to playing a Freelance army. For giving up faction abilities you do not only gain the free choice of all the units you could never combine before, you get to pretty much ignore the 'adept' limitation by fielding the equivalent unit from another faction. I've found it to be very strong.

Now, I usually will play a 'pure' faction for fluff reasons, but it's worth noting.

3. Reven are the only faction in my experience that is possibly 'broken'. They have the best collection of grunts in the game (bull orc warriors and bull orc archers are both at the top of the cost-efficiency curve), a fairly cheesy piece of equipment in the form of the Axe of Grauga, and an otherwise very complete list, including a wide selection of solid officers. My vote for strongest faction, easily.

Pthpthhhh..tell that to MY orcs. We've been having a little dwarf-trouble lately. Actually ALOT of dwarf trouble.

Then there's the matter of Sokar-Is-Near...and Mercy...and did I forget to mention Pain Cage?

Every faction has paper,scissors and rock.. and even dynamite (literally...just ask the goblins about their powder keg). It's what makes Warlord fun.

The Reptus have all of their remaining models on the way, so worries about them being at a disadvantage due to a lack of model is fairly moot (plus, there was always the option to proxy).

The Necropolis might not have Clerics, but they have plenty of Mages that can be Healers using Life Transfer, and who needs Healers when your a Vampire and you can feed anyway, not to mention Necromantic Surges, they can heal too. The Necropolis don't need Clerics. It's funny you mention Lord Vandrian, as I've not heard much mention of him, and while I do like the looks of him I'm not sure how effective he would be as a Solos, if he was an Elite he would be worth every point you pay for him and then some.

I think any complaints about the Reven being broken are pre-mature, their book has only been out shortly, and we havn't had much time to get creative and counter all their new goodies. But i'll agree with you the the Bull Orc Fighters are point for point the best grunt in the game, but someone has to have the best grunt, and I don't begrudge the Reven for having it. The Archers are likewise a steal, mostly due to their Tough/1+Warcry ability (only available in a BUll Orc only army list, and a Core army list now) and their lack of Marksmen, which has kept their cost down, while pushing other factions archers costs up to an insane level (Ivy Crown, and Nefsokar Rangers for example). I can't comment on the Axe of Grauga, as my Reven book is not in my hands, I've heard complaints, but I've also heard what appears to be legitimate counter arguments.

The secret advantage to the Freelance army isn't so secret in my opinion, if you are a power gamer it is the choice for you, you can get combinations out of it that far exceed anything you can get out of a Faction (faction beeok or not).