vongarr

Power level of factions

A suggestion I have to resolve this is to remove Swamp Walker as a standard ability the Reptus models that have it and grant it to a pure Reptus army as a faction ability --

Now that would make perfect sense ! :B):

Or, you could simply say as a Reptus player, I want some swamp terrain on this board. People that aren't willing to reasonably accomodate this, probably aren't that much fun to play against. Additionally, a lot of us have models with terrain based special abilities that we cannot make use of. It's not like Ridgerunner comes into play every game either.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the Reptus book comes out with a spell similar to the ones in the Reven book that effect terrain, and one that does something like create swampland for T'Kay to cast.

just for kicks we playesd a game on a four by six board that was alll swamps (not my idea, it actually almost felt like cheating until everyone else said "shut up, yer gonna actually get to use that swamp thing for once"). The only dry spots were little islands of lightwoods. Needless to say, I stomped both my opponents.

The one legitimate complaint that people have regarding the Reptus' disadvantage is the Swamp Walker SA. True, it does have fairly limited use as most battlefields are composed of terrain other than swamps and it is annoying to have to pay for it, swamps or no swamps. A suggestion I have to resolve this is to remove Swamp Walker as a standard ability from the Reptus models that have it and grant it to a pure Reptus army as a faction ability -- similar to the "Practice Makes Perfect" and "Shadowy" for the elves. I don't know the feasability of making such changes to something in the core rulebook, but similar things have been done (point reductions for Necro models, slightly re-tooling the Reven army list from the main rulebook once then faction book was released).

You're assuming Reaper is placing a points cost on Swamp Walker, I'm willing to bet they have given it to the Reptus models for free as a flavor device, so I'm not sure taking it off the Special Abilities list would in any way decrease the cost of the models. Just my opinion.

Plus, I think Reptus should retain this ability in Freelance and Mercenary companies, so I disagree with the notion that it should become a faction specific ability.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the Reptus book comes out with a spell similar to the ones in the Reven book that effect terrain, and one that does something like create swampland for T'Kay to cast.

Funny enough, originally the Reven spell list contained spells for making swamps, as I wanted to have a few Marshwalker Reven (to simulate the torrential rains common to Monglash in Spring). It was decided that it was out of flavor, but was added to a list of ideas for consideration by our Esteemed Reptus Writer. No guarantees, but the idea was pitched to him 6 months ago. We'll see if it makes the final cut. :B):

It shall rain frogs and turn the dry earth into soft, furtle soil. Now I'm all excited about the book, but I have to wait a year :down:

I really don't think Reptus Marshwalker adds many, if any point, maybe 1 or 2 on more expensive models. I also see it as something Reptus are born with, a lizard can move through a swamp naturally. It's not something trained, like an elves ability to hide in a chopped down corn field.

I really think the, Reptus is weak mentality comes from us being such a new faction. We got the bulk of our grunts only a few months ago, most others have had theirs for about a year. Unless you proxied we were unplayable.

Now we are playing a newe unfamiliar faction, while others have been perfecting their Crusader or Reven strategies for over a year.

Shrug off the loses, no Reptus is too weak, feed the young and we shall grow stronger.

as muchas I like to gripe, I win about half my games (I'm 4 & 5 on reaper games). Now I am a player of pretty average ability, and it would seem to me that if the average player can break even then the faction must pretty be balanced.

this having been said, our faction ability still isn't much. The abilities aren't game winnes in and of themselves, they just make it more interesting. All I would like is to be able to make it that much more interesting from my end (and to have more success vs elves.)

GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny enough, originally the Reven spell list contained spells for making swamps, as I wanted to have a few Marshwalker Reven (to simulate the torrential rains common to Monglash in Spring). It was decided that it was out of flavor, but was added to a list of ideas for consideration by our Esteemed Reptus Writer. No guarantees, but the idea was pitched to him 6 months ago. We'll see if it makes the final cut. :B):

ACTUALLY.....

the real story being here is during a test game, Bryan was fielding the new Reven list against MadPat's Corebook Reptus. The Reven tried using their new fangled spell to stop the Reptus advance, hoping to make them split up around the newly formed swamp. The reptus however, were uninpressed and went right through it surprising the Reven. Once we stopped making fun of Bryan, which took quite a while, we decided that said spell needed to be changed to something more Reven specific.

OMG I would have loved to have seen that. ::D:

Bryan, so sorry that happened to you, and that it is now now part of the public record. That's the kind of oops that you never are allowed to live down.

Like Thane's Ymrilix being Mercied by an Ivy Crown Archer at Gen Con this summer :devil:::D:

Or me spending the points for Warcry's on a Cleric when I am facing a Dwarven army. :blink:

Or even worse

Casting fireball, making sure it was exactly 2 inches away from Arik. Then looking at my spell list and seeing that was a Fire Storm and watching Pete dispell it.

Or me spending the points for Warcry's on a Cleric when I am facing a Dwarven army. :blink:

*SNORT*

Ah, more Mt. Dew to clean off of my monitor.

That's awesome, Qwyk... :lol: