Sign in to follow this  
vongarr

Power level of factions

wow, I don't check the board for a day or two and everyone jumps all over me.

I would agree 100% with stubbdog. The reptus are still a valid army, they just have a crummy faction ability.

I wish people would stop complaining that their particular faction is unloved

I don't think the reptus are unloved. Didn't you notice all the good things I pointed out. I was just mentioning some weaknesses. If I can with them then they must be at least decently balanced.

So once again your complaints about no level 3 clerics have no merit.

sure they do. I would like a level 3 cleric. That is a weakness about my faction that I wish wasn't there. there are a lot of things you CAN'T do without a lvl 3 cleric. I'm sure that if we need a level 3 cleric we will have one in the book when it comes out another couple of years from now.

Don't complain about your archers, some of us have RAV 1 archers that cost us the same amount of points because of 'Ranger' (Crusaders and Nefsokar)

and I feel for you man, you know how much it sucks to have overly expensive archers. I wish you had some cheaper ones too. ::D:

I laughed when people put centaurs , trolls and banshees in the same sentence as celestial lions and Thorvald . The price difference does not make them cheap models , just numerous availability

a dwarven player around here wins relatively often with an army featuring 3 thorvalds. You can still field a ton of bears to get the cards if you want too. The main thin i was trying to point out is that it is not only the reptus who can field a ton of solos in order to own the initiative. The tons of solos tactic is more of a player style thing than a faction difference.

Despite all the counter complaining no one has yet demonstrated how the reptus have a faction ability on par with the average for most of the other factions. I don't mean to whine (or offend anybody thus provoking people to jump alll over me ) but I would like to know the proper way to use my Faction Ability so that it can compete.

I would like a level 3 cleric. That is a weakness about my faction that I wish wasn't there. there are a lot of things you CAN'T do without a lvl 3 cleric. I'm sure that if we need a level 3 cleric we will have one in the book when it comes out another couple of years from now.

And what if you never get a level 3 cleric , is your faction then "broken" ? Yes , the faction ability is a little lame and marshwalk isn't a huge ability . :rolleyes:

I don't know if you've bothered to check the Dis of the majority of grunts in the game.

Just about every one of them has a Dis of 5. There are a very very few that have a Dis of 6. There are also quite a few grunts with only a Dis of 4 - most of them are archers.

Most models with a Dis higher than 5 are Leaders and Elites.

I don't know if you've bothered to check the Dis of the majority of grunts in the game.

Just about every one of them has a Dis of 5. There are a very very few that have a Dis of 6. There are also quite a few grunts with only a Dis of 4 - most of them are archers.

Most models with a Dis higher than 5 are Leaders and Elites.

Qwyk,

I was saying that it was not just the grunts. I agree grunts in almost all factions are low. But, the reptus are low across the board other than my warlord and captain. Both sgts are 5s, cleric and mage are 4s and even my super elite Raam is only a mighty 5 dis. Heck even my massive 185 point krungbeast with warmaster is only dis 4. Show me a single crusader hero with a dis less than 7

So, like I said, we may be able to stand toe to toe with the crusaders in melee combat, but our discipline is so low we dont stand a chance against mercy. When every single crusader grunt has a higher DIS value than my krungbeast, I have a problem with that...

You mean like:

Sir Conlan - Dis 5

Sister Majeda - Dis 6

Valandil - Dis 6

[/b]

Now lets look at the other factions for comparisons:

Vysa - Dis 6

Thuusia - Dis 6

Devourer - Dis 4

Margara - Dis 6

Kara - Dis 6

Snorri Oathbreaker - Dis 4

Meridh - Dis 6

Caerwynn - Dis 5

Lysette - Dis 6

Giant Eagle - Dis 6

Centaur - Dis 5

Artemis - Dis 4

Dingo - Dis 6

Lorielle Silverrain - Dis 5

Eredain - Dis 5

Leisynn - Dis 6

Shad Coalshadow - Dis 5

Kyla - Dis 5

Banshee - Dis 4

No Nefsokar

Corvus - Dis 6

Kevis - Dis 6

Lola - Dis 6

Audt - Dis 6

SSathuss - Dis 6

T'Kay - Dis 4

SSudai - Dis 4

Ra'am - Dis 5

Krung Beast - Dis 4

River Troll - Dis 5

Urga - Dis 6

Kharg - Dis 6

Neek - Dis 5

Yagun Oog - Dis 4

Lunk - Dis 5

Braug - Dis 5

Gurm - Dis 6

River Troll - Dis 5

BTW other Reptus stats

Khong-to 9

Chai-Uut 9

Nai Kannon 9

Uru 9

When I look at just about EVERY faction. Reptus are not so terribly different from anyone, with the exception of Crusaders which have a slightly higher Dis overall. In reality, Darkspawn, Necropolis and Nefsokar have far more models with a higher Discipline. That Crusaders are so high is really not surprising, given the faction design. If it was a straight up Dis vs Dis I'd say there is room to complain. With a dice roll involved, and more often than not, a difference in Dis of 1, maybe 2. It's not THAT overpowering.

I wouldn't worry to much about our dis. We're nasty enough in a fight that it doesn't come into play much. It is low, but I would count that as one of the little things I have to give up to play a cool faction like reptus.

nd what if you never get a level 3 cleric , is your faction then "broken" ?

No it probably wouldn't be broken. Reaper is good enough at the game balancing aspect to make sure we'll have something to make up for it.

I still want a level three cleric. imagine putting Nai-Khannon into the back side of an enemy troop. :bday::bday::bday::bday::bday::bday:

I still want a level three cleric. imagine putting Nai-Khannon into the back side of an enemy troop.

But not everyone will be able to do this , otherwise army "A" will look like army "B" , etc . :rolleyes:

Still , you can dream or maybe write Santa a letter , better still , write it to Sophie ! :lol:

Yeah, my vote is for faction individuality, and staying away from the cookie cutter look.

I think it is sweet that different factions are geared with different advantages.

And while the Reptus faction ability isn't great, neither was the Necropolis' until they got their book, and Reaper seems to be promising a scheduele of 1 book every two months, so Reptus players, even being slated as having their book in the last set of three, shouldn't have to wait all that long (with luck no more than a year).

Yeah, my vote is for faction individuality, and staying away from the cookie cutter look.

I think it is sweet that different factions are geared with different advantages.

And while the Reptus faction ability isn't great, neither was the Necropolis' until they got their book, and Reaper seems to be promising a scheduele of 1 book every two months, so Reptus players, even being slated as having their book in the last set of three, shouldn't have to wait all that long (with luck no more than a year).

That's the biggest challenge with the faction books. You look at a faction and say, ok they don't have this, or this, or this. The thing is, does it make sense for every faction to have all that? Should every factio have massive cavalry units? Should every faction be teeming with arch-clerics? Should they offer a bevy of elite units?

If anything I think the faction books should make the factions less alike, rather than more alike.

If anything I think the faction books should make the factions less alike, rather than more alike.

Here here! I totally agree. That was the appeal of the game for me. Not too mention the fact that if you DON'T want to play a single faction, you can always go Freelance. I have a player here that does it every game. He loves it. I don't own enough models yet to be able to pull it off. :devil:

Wild Bill :blues:

Qwyk,

I was saying that it was not just the grunts. I agree grunts in almost all factions are low. But, the reptus are low across the board other than my warlord and captain. Both sgts are 5s, cleric and mage are 4s and even my super elite Raam is only a mighty 5 dis. Heck even my massive 185 point krungbeast with warmaster is only dis 4. Show me a single crusader hero with a dis less than 7

In my edition of the rulebook, both sergeants are 6s (btw, same for both versions). Ra'am isn't the super elite; Nai-Khanon is, and he has a 9. The Krungbeast is an big mammal with minimal intelligence; the Centaur only has a 5, and the Giant Eagle a 6.

well, in the end I guess we can all agree to disagree. I never was trying to start or make it into an argument of opinions.

To me, thers is a large difference between 4s and 6s.

Summary: GE, speed up on that book and lay all my arguents to rest with some really cool new stuff...

How about something like... a level one spell that turns the whole map into marsh and swamp so that I can actually take advantage of my marsh walkers.

Of course, it would have to be non-dispel-able nor over spellable (Reven's rough terrain spell) either.

Or some kind of serpent tongue innate ability that causes a hiss in the ears of the opponents and screws them up in their spell casting and archery, and makes cavalry get confused.

He he

How about something like... a level one spell that turns the whole map into marsh and swamp so that I can actually take advantage of my marsh walkers.

A couple of options would be to make your own scenario that has swamp and marsh terrain in it or start a campaign and make some of the areas of control swamps and marshs.

I can't believe that I completely missed an argument over whether or not factions are balanced, or if one pulls ahead of the other. Where have I been!

I'm going to speak what I know.

First, the Reptus:

They are hardly at a disadvantage, warriors make perfect tanks, breakers make killers, solos with survivability, high point models that can hold their weight, archers that make pin cushions out of enemies, and a nice variety of elites.

The only complaint anyone should have about this army is the lack of useful Faction abilities. And this was hardly an issue against most enemies, because their army abilities don't offer a huge advantage. The two major exceptions being Darkspawn and Necro. But with the right army even the benefit they gain can be countered.

Now, lets not forget that this is going to change with the arrival of our faction book. Look at necro, they went from the FA we laughed at to, "Oh stuff move the battle away from the dead bodies/Kill the vamps quick, QUICK I SAY"

On Darkspawn:

In the past year or so I have not lost a 1vs1 match with the darkspawn, and my group has grown to hate the Pain Cage. Then we play a 3 man FFA, or a 2vs1 and I'm the first one out everytime.

There really our counter strategies for everything out there, and thankfully so, it's how it should work. There are times I'll start a reptus game, see what I have and see what the opponent has and know it's going to be a hard fought battle, it will just take some adapting.

Now, lets not forget that this is going to change with the arrival of our faction book.

Yes, excellent point. With what we've seen from faction books so far, it seems that a lot of "gaps" in armies and abilities and different models working together get filled in once the faction book is released. In another thread, people were discussing low-point heroes from different factions that don't seem to be worth taking. As a Crusader player, I have used Finari only once in a game, with so-so results. I suspect though, that once the Crusader book gets here, there will be some new special abilities or an army sublist that enhances the Justicars, making Finari a much more viable choice for an elite. Reaper has produced two excellent faction books so far, and I'd bet that they will maintain this level of quality with the Crusader book and other future releases. (By the way, Reaper peeps -- as eager as I am for the Crusader book, in my opinion, it's worth waiting a little longer if it means a better finished product.)

I went down a few bunny trails there, but my point is that I suspect that the Reptus faction book will contain enough sublists, new special abilities, new models, etc. to compensate for any weaknesses that the lizards currently suffer from. But, as other people have said, I honestly don't think that the Reptus' disadvantages put them in any worse a position as any of the other factions.

The one legitimate complaint that people have regarding the Reptus' disadvantage is the Swamp Walker SA. True, it does have fairly limited use as most battlefields are composed of terrain other than swamps and it is annoying to have to pay for it, swamps or no swamps. A suggestion I have to resolve this is to remove Swamp Walker as a standard ability from the Reptus models that have it and grant it to a pure Reptus army as a faction ability -- similar to the "Practice Makes Perfect" and "Shadowy" for the elves. I don't know the feasability of making such changes to something in the core rulebook, but similar things have been done (point reductions for Necro models, slightly re-tooling the Reven army list from the main rulebook once then faction book was released).