Crusader Cloak

sldrdude

Ok, forget my camera skills as they aren't so good. :down:

Don't look so close as the painting, either. :down:

Check out the right side of Malcom's cloak. See the silver spot? Yeah, 4 coats of glossy and two coats of Testers Dullcoat.

This is the second time I painted him. The same thing happened both times. The second pre-work included quite the soapy wash and scrub.

The third will see some filing action. I hate to get rid of the pointy end, but this has gotten crazy. Is anyone else experiencing this with Malcolm? Sword-tips don't give me problems so I don't know why this one is.

Thanks, Doug.

reaperwarlordcrusadersirmalcom.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it's a problem with your primer? Since it seems like you sealed it really well, it makes me think the problem may be under the paint rather than on top of it. Just an idea.

I haven't painted this guy, but it looks to me like that spot on him is sticking out and taking alot of bumps.

Good luck!

you could always do a couple of coats of dullcote while painting your mini. it gives extra protection and hopefully not enough of a chance for your hands to damage the cloak as you paint him. Ive heard the some people actually put 10 or more layers of dullcote on a piece because they dullcote after every section of painting. You could also try hitting the primer with some dullcote as well might help

• Reaper User

I hate to say it, but if you filed down that little tip so that it was more blunted that would probably help a lot. The paint/primer hasn't been made (with the possible exception of some very thick enamel glosscoats, but even then...) that will stay unchipped on a small, sharply-pointed surface that sees a lot of handling. If you can find an enamel brush-on sealer you might just use it to spot-seal that one place, knowing that it has a tendency to chip, and then dullcote over it if you want a non-shiny finish. ::):

--Anne

I have had this problem with several minis. I never knew how to fix it. Well before I get even farther with painting them I will have to file down the pointy part. This seems to happen most frequently for me on tips of cloaks, elf ears, and the butt of the sword (not the tip of the blade). It gets frustrating. I usually just give up but filing down makes sense.

BTW, Hi Anne, long time no chat. How are things?