DIY Macro lens

kit

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, this trick will only work if you have a camera where you have the capability of switching out lenses. Interesting idea, though.

For those who don't understand exactly what he's done, he's made a non-moving bellows. It's the same principle as a telescope. The bigger it is, the closer in you can bring distant objects.

I wonder how he cleaned out the inside of the can, seeing as Pringles do get a little salty and greasy.

I saw that on slashdot yesterday. I was going to post it here, but then I thought *naaaah*

It seems like if you are going to shell out for an SLR that uses swappable lenses (especially a digital one), you'd probably get a macro-lense - and if you have a digital camera - it doesn't have lenses you can change.

I really admire the ingenuity of the bodge job though. Someplace in heaven, Hannibal is smiling and saying "I love it when a macro-lense comes together"

Unfortunately, this trick will only work if you have a camera where you have the capability of switching out lenses. Interesting idea, though.

For those who don't understand exactly what he's done, he's made a non-moving bellows. It's the same principle as a telescope. The bigger it is, the closer in you can bring distant objects.

I wonder how he cleaned out the inside of the can, seeing as Pringles do get a little salty and greasy.

I think so - since one of his first problems was due to the glare from the reflectiveness of the inside of the can. He probably cleaned it and then blackened the inside.

Can't you just buy an extension tube for your lens to do the same thing?

No offense to the author, but I am not risking $700+ in camera gear to save a few dollars on a macro lens.

It seems like a great idea.. but a spendy thing if it does not work right.. I will not risk it as I went out and bought one. I like the idea though :)

Can't you just buy an extension tube for your lens to do the same thing?

No offense to the author, but I am not risking $700+ in camera gear to save a few dollars on a macro lens.

That's what a teleconvertor is, but your lens has to be removable. I have one that is a x2. Basically what it does is it doubles whatever lens you currently have, thus a 50mm becomes a 100mm.

A bellows does the same thing, but in a slightly different way in that you can adjust it. I've taken some very close shots using a bellows, a 50mm lens, and closeup filters. In many ways, that kind of setup is better than the macros of most digital cameras. You can, literally, take a picture of the eye of a Sandra Garrity mini and have it fill the frame. Okay, I might be exaggerating a bit there, but not overly much. You will probably get just the top half of the face in the frame. :;):

The problem is that bellows can be quite pricy.