Airbrush compressor question

Sergeant_Crunch

Been thinking about kickin' my cheapo Testor's airbrush to the curb and buying a real one. My question is though, can I hook the brush up to a regular air compressor, either directly or through some kind of adapter? Reason I ask is that if I'm buying a compressor, I want something that can serve multiple uses beyond my artistic impulses.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We've got our big compressor hooked up to the airbrush. Well, indirectly. There's a couple of manifolds and a pressure regulator with moisture trap between the airbrush and the compressor.

Let me explain.

When we had the electricity upgraded they needed to trench to the garage. Hubby had them leave the trench open. He put PVC down and ran an airline from the garage to the basement. Eventually he put an air compressor in the loft of the garage and a manifold to hold the air line to the basement and at least one into the garage.

The manifolds just let us hook multiple lines into the compressor.

There is a pressure regulator with moisture trap in the line to the air brush connector. That lets me set the pressure quite nicely and keeps water out of the line.

And the compressor is plugged into an outlet in the garage that is controlled by a switch in the basement. So all I need to do is flip the switch, let the pressure build for a minute, and start airbrushing.

Hope this is what you were looking for.

dedicated airbrush compressors are expensive, and only the top of the line models have air tanks, which even out airflow. They are supposedly more quiet though.

You can get a cheap shop compressor for around $100 which also comes with a tank. Most airbrushes will come with an adaptor, or at least you can buy the parts somewhere. Mine is a bit louder than a vacuum cleaner when running, but the tank when full will last for 5-10 minutes of spraying or so.

Get a airline trap, for moisture/oil, and probably a pressure gauge. The ones built into compressors aren't usually the best, nor can they be fine tuned as well as a good pressure regulator made for airbrushes.

My question is though, can I hook the brush up to a regular air compressor, either directly or through some kind of adapter?

I use a tank-compressor from "Lowes". The tank is 24" by 8" cylinder. It has gauges for tank pressure and output pressure. The PascheAB connects directly to it.

I'm in the process of converting my garage into the "Miniature Shop of Horrors" so elaborate set-up with lines going into the house aren't required (though very cool) and noise isn't too much of a concern. Thanks for the responses, it looks like I can do what I want as long as I toss a pressure regulator and moisture trap in the line. Now the trick is convincing the budget committee that I need to have this! ::):

Explain to the budget commitee that if you get GOOD equipment and ALL of the correct tools you can either start charging for you mini's and make money or, Increase the price because of the better quality (if your already doing some commision work). Thats how I was able to convince my budget committee that I needed to spend the money on Kolinsky sable brushes instead of the $1.99 testors brands!

No commissions or ebay sales for me...yet. I've got a bunch of my personal minis to finish first. I've been watching ebay for what sells and the quality of the paint jobs, I think that soon I'll be able to put stuff up for a modest amount. Maybe with some ebay sales under my belt it'll be easier to justify.