I've got the (Ultramarine) Blues

Patrick

We are currently in transition at our studio to converting all of our figure paint to MSP and would like to promote it exclusively (over other brands of figure paint). Vaitalla and I discussed this at the Paint Club a couple of weeks ago as I was searching for an equivalent to the Liquitex Ultramarine Blue I have been accustomed to using for so long.

She imparted me with a recipe for a similar hue but confessed that MSP did not contain Ultramarine pigment, the existing blues were based on Phthalocyanine. Phthalo blues are a bit too green for me and I was wondering if there may be some other painters out there that could benefit from a real Ultra blue formula as well as myself.

For some reason I cannot find a way to post a poll so I'll just have to go the long way around:

Would you also like to see an Utramarine Blue group added to future color releases of MSP?

• Yes! That is the most Ultra blue and I will paint with nothing else!
  • MSP already has enough blues in it! Make something else!
  • What is this Pppthala Ultra thing you speak of?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Reaper User

We don't have an Ultramarine pigment, as I said, but if we get enough input in this thread I'll see how close I can get with existing pigment mixes. :;): Also need to map out the rest of the line and see if we'll have room...

Talk, people! Ultramarine blue (think GW "Ultramarines" Blue) or no? It's a very purpley blue, for those not in the know. ::):

--Anne

I'm painting Ultramarines right now, actually. (well, not this second - but it's my current project)

Being able to do them with the RMS would be really sweet - but I'm also happy with pretty much any colors that are put out. Aside from what is being worked on, I'm hard pressed to think of any colors that I'm desperately missing.

Maybe a native american flesh tone, but thats about it.

I've never painted with ultramarine blue. Not even the Vallejo version.

But, I don't think there's any such thing as too much blue. I would totally buy a purpley-blue, too, 'cause I love purple.

Let's face it - I'll buy everything in the MSP line, ultramarine blue or not.. sigh.. :)

/ali, rabid fangirl.

I was searching for an equivalent to the Liquitex Ultramarine Blue I have been accustomed to using for so long.

I've got a question for you on that... what are you using to thin it to the right consistency? I've got a bottle of the stuff, and will probably need to use it to finish out some lines of figs.

Would you also like to see an Utramarine Blue group added to future color releases of MSP?[\quote]

*bleep* YES!

I was someone annoyed when I found out that RMS doesn't use UM blues. I've been trying to figure out how to deal with that, as it's going to be a problem when I go back to painting a couple of my armies. I didn't use straight UM blue all over the place on them, but mixed it in with other colors. That's when I was mixing most of my colors, long before I got my RMSs...!

Thanks for the input folks! I just placed an order for the primary 128 color set through a 3rd party vendor so we're committed! (or should be!) ::D:

I've got a question for you on that... what are you using to thin it to the right consistency? I've got a bottle of the stuff, and will probably need to use it to finish out some lines of figs.

Well, Liquitex UBLue is very transparent and dark straight from the bottle. And you definitely want to use the soft-body stuff in the bottle and not the tubes. I find that I have to create a mid value with it by adding a bit of white or Polished Bone to "opaque" it. Then I thin it as any other color. It may take an extra coat or two to get even coverage, but this happens with the MSP Indigo too due to the nature of the type of color it is.

Then after I have a good even base color I wash several thin coats of "straight" color to build it up to the desired value. I did this with an airbrush on a model of the Blue Thunder helicopter model years and years ago and it rocked. Too bad it didn't survive the many moves.

Incidentally, what might it take to get some UltraB pigments? I only ask just for insight of course. biggrin.gif

So - speak up! Twist some arms and make some signs as Anne said! This is the best company with the best paint and the fact that they are so accessible like this to their customer base puts them at the top of the list as far as I'm concerned. :wub:

Make mine Ultra!

PS - Yay! I'm officially a Rabble Rouser now!