Sign in to follow this  
Feanor

Manipulation

Hi all,

Well I happen to be quite good at this (tricking others to do my bidding) so in a mutliplayer game I wiriendll use this to my advantage and secure victory as my opponents destroy one another. :devil: So heres the deal is this wrong of me? I have one friend who hates me for it but I think he is just jealous. I you had the ability to manipulate others and thus win the games without taking much of a hit on your end would you do it?

Now my elves are quite capable of doing the dirty work if we have to, but why bother we live a long time and if one of us should die alot of time is lost.

thanks for any input

cheers

I've always dislikes the prospect of multiplayer free for all games with no objectives. Someone always ends up in the middle and gets shafted, while those players who pussyfoot around the edges can come in and mop everything up claiming a smart victory. Perhaps it is smart, but in such games I find there is usually a level of resentment that exists and a perception of poor sportsmanship (whether it really exists or not).

I'd say shake things up and play team games (two 500 point point forces vs. 1000 points for example if you have an uneven number of players), or play a scenario that has clear cut objectives (Loot markers to be recovered or areas of the board to be taken an held or whatnot). I think such games will level the playing field and prevent resentment from groing amongst a group.

Lets face it, if everyone isn't having a good time, it's not worth playing the game. I'm a big proponent of sportsmanship, and to be honest I havn't been all that concerned about whether I win or lose since I was playing GW games over a decade ago. I think this is the case with alot of gamers, we tend to mellow with age, and begin to have a different perspective on why we are in the hobby. I know I play with a couple of kids who havn't quite learnt propper gaming etiquette yet, but I try to lead by example.

All that being said, there isn't anything wrong with what you are doing from a technical sense, if your opponents fall for it every time then they deserve what they get. A smart opponent would turn around and make a pact with the other players to take you out of the next few games first so you can get a taste of your own medacine.

Anyway, enough of my blathering and preaching. Just do your best to ensure everyone is having a good time in your group.

excellent! I too like an objective and have even used my archers to shoot each player on the field with a couple arrows in one activation to provoke a concerted atack but it always seems to fall apart meh

well thank you much for the input

The Reven would never fall to such vile elven trickery!!!!!! (Plus our archers are better than yours thhhhhhhhhhbbbbttt!!!!!!!) ::D:

J/K Our first game here was a three way that ended up with the overlords attacking the elves then my reven attacking the rear of the overlords then sweeping the rest of the elves (the survivor who promptly ran off the board). This game caused a unanimous decision here that we will do no more 3 way battles as what SE said is always the case. Team battles are the way to go, the last one we did here was Nefsokar and Elves vs Reven and Overlords, great fun!!! ::):

Another little tidbit of experience, I mentioned 2 players vs. 1 player games working fairly well in alot of cases. I have to say I want to ammend this, I've seen such games played a ton of times, and when points are even I find that the single player wins a large portion of the time, and here is why: The single player uses their force a a cohesive army, while the 2 allied players almost always fail to communicate with eachother and formulate a proper plan of attack. Still at least non-one feels like they are picked on. But be warned, when you play such games talk to your partner about your battle plan.

Another way to do a three wasy battle is to count kills and not make the winner the "last man standing". That way the active players get points and the "jonney come latelys" only get scraps.

The most common point system is to add up all the point values of the models each player slew (including points for equipment and spells) with the person scoring the highest points being the winner.

I find systems that count points still usually leave the player in the middle out in the lurch as they are often put out of commision very quickly giving them few opportunities to gather points.

Still it's a far more equitable way to play the game than a last man standing scenario that is for sure, and it tends to have people gunning for characters and high point models, so be wary that taking such models in these typse of games means they have even larger targets on their back than normal (it actually makes taking spellcasters fairly risky in my opinion).

No I feel I must state that Feanor is not so much allying with one player over the other or out-right manipulating, it is mostly because he has (how do you say...) a high CHA score. and the 3rd player who dis-approves of this tactic has a very very low score (possibly 4 or 5) so no one will take good mannered advice from him.

But I dis-like 3 player battles and try to get in on them when I can to even them out.

I have started using the points per DT taken for a few reasons:

1. so that if one person takes a 5 DT model down to 1, and then someone else gets the kill shot, each person gets their fair portion of the "work" done.

2. models with tough that just wont die!

3. Simply to encourage participation verses camping

Yes, it takes a few minutes longer for record keeping, but it is usually fairly easy and quick.

Another system that I have not used yet, but have considered:

At the beginning, count up the total number of models on the table. If there are 60 models on the table, the the first model killed is worth 60 points. Second model killed 59. Third 58. And so on... regardless of point value. Again, the objective is... "you snooze.. you lose"