W&N Series 7

Enchantra

Well I just found out that my Hanukkah gift from a very dear friend is a set of Series 7 brushes.

Now I'm fairly anal about brush care as it is, but what are the special things you do with yours to keep them perfectly good?

I'll admit I'm used to taklon brushes, as they are cheap and easily attainable at work. I'm also going to ahve to find a way to hide my Series 7's from my Parents who use my brushes.

So aside from making a special box to hold them in so my Parents know not to touch them and aside from all the normal brush care stuff like no mashing the bristles and reforming the tips and keeping them clean, what else do you all suggest? I know these brushes were not cheap as Dick Blick doesn't exist in the UK where my friend happened to purchase them. I want these to LAST a VERY long time. Thanks.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Still using the same set of W&N series 7 brushes I bought 2 years ago. Granted my smallest brushes will need to be retired soon but 2 years is a pretty darn good run. Maintenance tip: once every 2 months soak the tips overnight in a pink soap/water solution (I have a holder that grips the handle and holds the brush so that the bristles dont touch the bottom of the solution bowl). Next day, pull em out and work out any stubborn paint. Then I take some Paul Mitchell "The Conditioner" (the leave in kind) and work it into the brush. Once I've made sure the tip has been properly reformed, I dont remove the conditioner - but let a nice glop of it stay on the brush until I'm ready to use it again. A quick rinse through some water is all it takes to remove the conditioner.

Why Pink soap AND conditioner? Probably personal preference, but I feel Pink soap does a good job at cleaning the brush while the conditioner is better suited to replacing protiens and revitalizing the bristles (Kolinsky sable IS still hair after all - hair from a mink in Russia - but hair nontheless).

• Reaper User

Don't use 'em with thicker paint; if you're using a thicker solution for basecoating, for example, use taklons. ::): Then switch to Kolinskys for all the layering, glazing and detail work. This helps prolong the longevity of mine, for sure! The important factoid is that these brushes are primarily made for working with watercolor paints; they really love thinned paint and aren't crazy about thicker mixes. As far as cleaning, I use Winsor&Newton brush cleaner once in a blue moon--Michael's still carried it when I last looked, at least here in TX--and I've never needed to condition 'em, though it would probably be better for them if I did!! :lol:

--Anne ::):

Michaels still carries W&N Brush Cleaner and Restorer. I give my brushes a good soak in this around once every 4-6 weeks depending on use. After painting sessions, I will usually use Masterson's Brush Cleaner & Conditioner - comes in little plastic dishes about the size of a retainer or can of dip. Wet the brush, swirl on the soap cake, let it sit and dry. Just make sure you remember to rinse it off before the next session.

I've been using some of the same brushes now for close to 2 years. I'm actually just getting to retire a couple of my first ones, that were not as well cared for at the beginning, and hopefully Santa puts some new ones in my stocking.

Thanks for the input everyone! I do have some biodegradeable brush cleaner already along with some of the Master's brush shaper which is like a leave in conditioner kind of deal that you rinse off before you use it next. I'll keep the hair conditioner thing in mind as that would certainly be helpful. I can certainly grab some pink soap at work.

Anne: Thanks for the tip, I actually was considering still basecoating with my nylon brushes and saving the good brushes for detailing and layering so that they would last longer.

Thanks all! ::D:

Yep, the WN Brush Cleaner can do wonders, but you'll need a conditioner on top of that. Couple more things to keep in mind...don't use antibacterial soap on your kolinsky, it's really harsh on the hair. I actually use shampoo these days. Strawberry. Then use the WN stuff about once a project. I should use it more often, but I never remember while I'm working, only when I've finished something. (shrug)

Well happy Hanukkah! that is a very nice gift...Or is it 8? ::P:

I find the best deturant for -don't use my brushes- is threatening to break fingers. It has worked with everyone but my dog, who ate my only sable.

But if your friends and family are more respectful than mine a nice box with some grips at one end so they don't go sliding onto thier bristles is probably a good option.

Well happy Hanukkah! that is a very nice gift...Or is it 8? ::P:

*L* It so turns out a lot of people believe we get a gift each night of Hanukkah. For some families this is a tradition but for most it is not. Usually the first or last night of Hanukkah is the night most Jewish families exchange gifts. In my family since I'm the only Jew, I get the joy of both Christmas and Hanukkah. :bday:::D:

It is a very nice gift. ::D:::D:::D: I'm just sooooo hoping it did not get lost in the mail. I told my UK friend to wait till the end of next week before claiming the insurance. He sent it out Air mail from the UK back in the middle of November. Between customs and the fact most delivery services are behind in package deliveries I told him to wait a bit longer before filing the insurance claim.

I find the best deturant for -don't use my brushes- is threatening to break fingers. It has worked with everyone but my dog, who ate my only sable.

But if your friends and family are more respectful than mine a nice box with some grips at one end so they don't go sliding onto thier bristles is probably a good option.

Threatening to break my Parents' fingers would not get me very far. :;):

I shall purchase a wooden box at work to keep them in though so they do not get mixed up with my other brushes. Maybe since my other brushes are out in the open this means they won't touch the ones in the box. :;): I'll still tell them hands off though just to be safe. For the most part my Parents are respectful of my stuff, though the next time Mom touches my computer and does not leave things the way she found them on my computer I might have to break a few fingers...

I hope it's just a slow delivery and you receive your present of brushes. I use The Masters Brush Soap routinely and WN Brush Cleaner every couple of weeks followed by the hair conditioner treatment. The WN7s I have are 4-5 years old and my Raphael Kolinskys are 7 years old and in good condition. Be careful if you use the WN Cleaner, as it will take the laquer off of the handles if it gets on them.

Enjoy

I hope it's just a slow delivery and you receive your present of brushes.

Well apparently I told my friend about waiting on the insurance to late and he filed for it. He went with the insurance money today and bought the new brushes. Royal mail is investigating because apparently the package landed stateside four weeks ago according to their tracking system, so who knows where it is at this point. And I do believe my Druid's Stone mini he had obtained for me was inside the package as well. So it's gone. :down:

I do have some hope that the package will turn up, but if it landed stateside four weeks ago, even with a lay over at Customs it should be here by now.

Enchantra's not the only one who got W&N #7's as a gift! One question that hasnt been answered so far is should I rinse my brush with straight water during painting and then after my session use pink soap or what. I also want my brushes to last a long time and I would like kind of detailed instructions on brush care. I found out the hard way not to use dish soap on other types of Kolinsky sable ::(:

Enchantra's not the only one who got W&N #7's as a gift! One question that hasnt been answered so far is should I rinse my brush with straight water during painting and then after my session use pink soap or what. I also want my brushes to last a long time and I would like kind of detailed instructions on brush care. I found out the hard way not to use dish soap on other types of Kolinsky sable ::(:

rinse the brushes with water during use. Use the Pink Soap (or other brush cleaner) at the end of the session (or if the brush gets gunked up). Before using the brush again, give it a good rinse to remove the Pink Soap left as a conditioner and dump that water (the trace of brush soap can do nasty things to the paint).

I haven't read all of the posts so if what I write has already been stated sorry . . . ::(:

Get yourself a small bottle of Pink Soap, you can get it from anywhere. I bought mine at Michael's crafts. I wash my brushes at least at the end of every paint session, sometimes if I am painting all day I will wash them while I am on my lunch break.

As for storing them I have had the hardest time trying to find a brush case for that size of brush but when I was at the art store I saw a pencil case. It is a zip up one. It's rectangular, holds about 16 pencils, so you can hold that many brushes in it, was only a few bucks, is gen. leather, and is the perfect size for brushes. It's a small case that can easily fit anywhere, even a jacket pocket (well depending on the depth of the pocket). I used it to transport my brushes safely when going to SoCal to help Sue with the Paint and Take. It is a pencil case you can find at any art store.

Since the case is easily hideable, you can hide them from your parents so they won't use them. Or you know you could get your parents their own brush set for the holidays. The brushes aren't that expensive, I by mine from Dick Blick Art.

Happy Holidays Everyone

Meg