To scale Dragon miniatures

Demian

What is the chance of seeing some larger dragon miniatures that are closer to the size described in D&D or Hackmaster? Measuring out the larger kits you have still seem to put them at around a young adult age category.

I understand that it is impractitical for the really old dragons... 180' body and 170' tail would be ridiculously huge at 25 or 28mm. I just want something a bit closer to epic in scale to put on my table.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is the cost cuts out your average buyer.

Got £125.00? Then THIS GUY can be yours. That's resin, not pewter. He's sweet, but not $200+ sweet.

Plus I don't know if I trust my players with him on the table. Accidents happen. It's bad enough when a pewter mini gets dinged up (or someone spills a beer on your book)...

Turhan - My McFarlane Conan Dragon is about the size of Reapers dragons without it's base (DHL, not box set).

Got £125.00? Then THIS GUY can be yours. That's resin, not pewter. He's sweet, but not $200+ sweet.

Plus I don't know if I trust my players with him on the table. Accidents happen. It's bad enough when a pewter mini gets dinged up (or someone spills a beer on your book)...

Turhan - My McFarlane Conan Dragon is about the size of Reapers dragons without it's base (DHL, not box set).

If i made $15 an hour / full time 200 would not be bad

• Reaper User

Viridius is about the largest we've got and I just did a rough measure on him--comes out to equivalent 90' or so counting tail? The problem with creating larger models in pewter is not only that the price point is prohibitive, but also that the models are limited by the size of the molds and the wear upon those molds once the model is in production. Larger models are very hard to consistantly get a quality casting of, and their weight and level of detail eats away at the molds far faster than a smaller model would, which significantly raises the cost of producing 'em. And $200 might sound like not much if you have a good job, but as a company you've got to sell that price tag to the distributors first, who know that high-ticket items like that tend not to move, and then to the game stores (same story) and *then* to the actual customers. So, all in all, it's probably not likely that we'll come out with that 180' dragon (if 6' is 30mm that would be 900 mm, or 90 cm, or just over 35 inches long assuming that size included the tail--can you imagine??? The largest dragon ever produced in pewter to my knowledge was old GW--the emperor dragon?--and that thing wasn't even that long, and the wings were so heavy in the original prototype that they bent under their own weight...). But you never know. ::):

--Anne

Anne or anyone,

what about that one red Dragon Partha produced many years ago, i recall liftin that box up at the game store & about strained my wrist, not expectin the wieght of him.

He was a limited edition one of course.

RM

Viridius is about the largest we've got and I just did a rough measure on him--comes out to equivalent 90' or so counting tail? The problem with creating larger models in pewter is not only that the price point is prohibitive, but also that the models are limited by the size of the molds and the wear upon those molds once the model is in production. Larger models are very hard to consistantly get a quality casting of, and their weight and level of detail eats away at the molds far faster than a smaller model would, which significantly raises the cost of producing 'em. And $200 might sound like not much if you have a good job, but as a company you've got to sell that price tag to the distributors first, who know that high-ticket items like that tend not to move, and then to the game stores (same story) and *then* to the actual customers. So, all in all, it's probably not likely that we'll come out with that 180' dragon (if 6' is 30mm that would be 900 mm, or 90 cm, or just over 35 inches long assuming that size included the tail--can you imagine??? The largest dragon ever produced in pewter to my knowledge was old GW--the emperor dragon?--and that thing wasn't even that long, and the wings were so heavy in the original prototype that they bent under their own weight...). But you never know. ::):

--Anne

Unfortunately most of the rules I have seen cite seperate tail and body length ranges. A dragon with a 180' body and 170' tail would be 1250mm and well outside of what would be reasonable to cast in pewter. That much I understand. Even the Forge World pieces fall short of what I am looking for in the long run.

I was just hoping that we would be seeing more of the large scale dragons in the future. I really enjoy your dragons but I am really hoping that your next releases get bigger and bolder and closer to the scale that the dragons are indicated in the books.

@haldir: Do you mean the Red Dragon of Krynn? It's a nice model, but about 2/3 the size of the GW dragons. However, the red dragon in the Clutch of Fear boxed set is about the same size as GW dragons.

I don't know, if I had an extra couple hundred, I'd go for that. But I don't, so I can't.

And if you really want a scale model dragon, buy a couple hundred bucks worth of Green stuff!

Once the money's in your hand and you have to make the decision...

There's just so much other stuff you can get for $200.

I guess if it has to be RPG compatable, you'll have to wait for the 2 plasti-crack dragons coming from WotC next year - a gargantuan and colossal. No idea on the price point though, although the AT-AT was only $50.

As an aside, Demian obviously has 2 posts, but is only showing 1 post in the post count...

Aren't the McFarlane dragons much larger than the Reapers? Or am I misinformed? I saw a pic of one and thought it looked fantastic, but I couldn't tell the scale/size.

I haven't measured mine - I own 3 of them - but I would definitely say that they are larger than the typical metal mini dragon, even the boxed sets. If this helps any with size, you can stick a mini in the mouth of a McFarlane dragon quite easily. :lol:

One of the McFarlane dragons comes with a rider, who I would estimate is about 50mm tall.

GW dragons?

those sound interesting, but i don't think i've ever seen any... i'm an avid mini collector (i already have most of the reapers and a good number of parthas) and i'm hunting around for gargantuan and colossal minis for my campaign, are there any pics of the GWs anywnere that you know of???

***sita

I went the other direction. I honestly think that the books are stupidly large with their dragon sizes. The ecology necessary to keep something that large alive would be increadible. It would have to eat a herd of elephants a day just to have enough energy to move. The largest land creature to ever live was around 100 to 120 feet, and that was huge. The mass of the largest saurapods was enormous. Now triple the length of it and the weight goes up by a factor of 4 to 1 if I remember my volumetric math correctly. You then have something so preposterously heavy that its own weight would crush it (of course you can use the "Magic" cop out).

Many reptiles slow their grow dramatically once reaching sexual maturity. In my world, I do the same with the dragons. A very old to ancient red dragon is probably not much more than 150' total length, which is still very large compared to a 6 foot person.

What I think is funny is that in 1e D&D they weren't that big. They expanded the dragon sizes in 2e.

My 2 cents.

TS