Lstormhammer, architect

Morgramen

So I decided to keep a running commentary on my building of a particular Hirstarts project.

(just hit enter to go to the next line, and it posted. Stupid computer.)

Anyways: So I decided to work on the 'Dragon Inn'. But I'm all ambitious n' stuff, so I decide 'I can add another level, and put in sleeping quarters'. A cool idea. I had quite a pile of cast molds, so I decided to start putting the thing together.

I have this to say: You will never have enough parts cast to make these things! Seriously, I thought I had 'enough' for just the first floor, and it turns out I'm a long, long ways away. I have done the first 2 layers, and I'm rapidly running out of blocks. So it's back to the casting table, and go-go-go.

I'll prolly do that most of tomorrow, just for something to do. I'm running out of tablespace in my office/bedroom, so I'll have to investigate some form of additional horizontal surface....

On the otherhand, I'm pretty stoked that it's actually being put together! Woohoo! :)

--lstormhammer, interior decorator

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Istorm, I've been eyeballing these things for over a year, but have been put off by the "casting" portion of the hobby.  To me, that seems to be the step where you make it or break it.  

How are you finding the casting?  If I remember, this is your first go at the Hirst Arts stuff?  Do you get bubbles in the cast often?  Are you using plaster or that dental jazz?  How long does it take to pour your moulds, let set, and pull out of molds to begin recasting again?

Any chance of you giving us an idea of total cash & time investment in your play - by - plays?

If the casting phase is relatively simple, then I might have to go into work for some "non bill payment catching up" overtime this weekend....  :)

Well, so far, the moest expensive thing were the molds themselves.

I'm using Permastone right now, but there's some stuff called 'Tufstone' that looks pretty good.

As for bubbles, the best way to avoid those is pouring slowly into the molds, giving the air a chance to escape (harder than you'd think, actually). My total investment so far has been... lessee, 3 cans of Permastone at 6bucks each. We had papertowels already, a timer for my kitchen stuff. The board I do this on was a remnant of She who Bats at All Things Smaller and Tastier than She's forst scratching post.

I did pick up a Costo-size pack of plastic cups, so that's another 10 bucks or so. I'd estimate my total has been about 150 bucks (US) total.

As for the 'casting' portion, I'm finding it fun. I do it near my computer, and I just turn on the ol' MP3 player, and go to it. I believe I mentioned it earlier, but you will get plaster on you and your clothing: Wear something you don't mind getting dirty.

As for time involved: It takes me about 2 minutes to mix dry+wet, and bring it to the 'thin milkshake' stage. I have 5 molds, and do them all at the same time, so maybe 5 minutes to pour into them. It's at least 6 minutes before you wipe the water off (hence the papertowels), then scraping and leaving it to cure. so from measuring to popping out is about 40 minutes.  I tend not to go anywheres between pour and scrape, but after that I can streach my legs and maybe make some Forum Posts. Thankfully, my timer has a -really- loud beep, so I can't miss it anywheres in my house.

My main problem right now is a place I can dedicate to just putting the freshly-created blocks, before I go and put them into a model. That will change shortly, I think I have an answer tonight.

But all in all, I think it's a great thing to do. And it lets me be all artsy'n'stuff, which is a first in my cracker white-bread honkey life. :)

--white n' proud :)

--lstormhammer

What makes you think I don't watch Changing Rooms on a regular basis? And yes, I know how I'll be decorating the inside of this thing.

THe main problem I'm having right now is keeping them straight before I glue them. This looks like a job for Legos arranged as a T-square.

--lstormhammer

What makes you think I don't watch Changing Rooms on a regular basis? And yes, I know how I'll be decorating the inside of this thing.

THe main problem I'm having right now is keeping them straight before I glue them. This looks like a job for Legos arranged as a T-square.

--lstormhammer

Use an old cd case, unless you need it a lot bigger.

I'd personally use something like a carpenters square, but then I have things like that laying around.

Why don't you build a wooden base for it, making sure all the edges are perfectly square and have a small edge around it so you can use that to keep the walls square and flat. Afterwards mount the inn on that and base it out.

Well, we've begun the 'Gluing' section of our little drama. And I have this to say: Gawds I'm spoiled on Superglue. I'm trying White Glue right now, and getting rapidly sick of it. I'm holding little parts together and waiting... waiting... endlessly waiting for it to dry enough to add the next batch. I might switch to the superglue if this doesn't work...

--lstormhammer, commentator

Alright, day 4 or 5 of this drama. Hard to tell through my headache-fogged brain. I'm on the 4th layer of bricks, running out of bricks fast (was suprised how many bricks I actually had). Most of the window arches are together, but not on the miniature. It's starting to take shape, though. And this is the wierd part: I know that it's been slap-dashed together, some bricks not fitting correctly, others loosly assembled and slathered with white glue (the superglue idea was chosen.. poorly). But it still looks great! Something about the hastily assembled bricks make it look downright awesome! I should not be able to Forest Gump my way through this and make it come out better than designed! Gah!

I suggest to everyone to pick up some Legos to help you, they make keeping things in order much easier.

I haven't even begun picking up paints yet, though. I think I'll wait on that until I'm starting to work on the roof.

I ran out of Permastone this morning, prompting an emergency run to Michael's. They had one canister left, hope they get more soon. Note to self: Don't go to Michael's anytime soon, freaky X-mas crafts people out in force... creepy.

--lstormhammer the architect

I went to Michaels today, myself. Got some of the Delta Paint Jewels to see how it works and found, in the oil paint section, a water acrylic by Liquitex... metallic iridescent white. I'm going to try it in a very thinned down version, maybe a bit mixed with whatever color I'm going to use with it, for dragonscales. Also picked up some really fine sand (the kind used in sandpainting). It's so fine it would look great based on minis. I have a pale sand and darker woody brown color too.

While there, in the dried flora area, I noticed some long plants that, when cut to proper length and size and stuff, would make great trees.

Got some other general stuff too. Whee !!

That's exactly what happened to me today! Picture this:

lstormhammer, 6'3".

Psychotic Old Lady Buying Her Way Into Heaven: 5'0".

LSH stands in line, minding his own business. He's got one can of Permastone practically being lost in his gigantic hamfists.

POLBHWIH tears around a corner, almost crashing into lstormhammer.

LSH takes a step aside, politly giving her more room to pass.

POLBHWIH jams her cart in such a way that she wants to cut in front of LSH.

LSH doesn't care much, he's got one canister, and all the time in the world on a Saturday. Sure, let her through.

Enter the plot twist:

Soccer Mommy Living Vicariously Through Her Children is behind me in line.

SMLVTHC glares at LSH, not POLBHWIH.

SMLVTHC starts some strange Tibetan 'Politely nag until the walls of Jericho fall' technique on LSH.

LSH, still foolish in his thinking that there will be peace in our time,  understands (he thinks) SMLVTHC's point, and POLBHWIH has, infact. Cut In Line...

Sidenote: The line was a Gordion Knot, Michael's needs better crowd control. I suggest waterhoses and teargas...

LSH kindly nods to SMLVTHC and informs POLBHWIH the Error Of Her Ways.

Man, did LSH step into it this time.

POLBHWIH has half her cart already dumped onto the sales counter, making LSH think all Ninja Are infact: POLBHWIH, she was quick.

LSH again foolish in his thinking, shrugs, and looks to SMLVTHC, telling her that since POLBHWIH has her gear on the counter, why not let her through, and we'll all be through these tough times with a stiff upper lip. Harumph!

SMLVTHC and her Tibetan Techniques go into Overdrive. Still polite, but very insistant.

LSH, usually can deal with such situations, LSH works in Financial Aid, and students get downright retarded when they walk into his office.

Aparantly, LSH's years of practice never trained him for SMLVTHC going into Tibetan Overdrive.

By this time, POLBHWIH is to the 'slow' items. Little flower arrangements that will take forever to a: untangle, and b: ring up by Sincere Cashier Who's Cute but Far Too Young for lstormhammer.

LSH is polite, but firm with SMLVTHC that POLBHWIH is almost done, and if she wishes, she may go ahead of LSH. LSH also thinks that christmas in County Jail is a Bad Thing. Must keep that in mind. Can't snap SMLVTHC's head clean off with his mighty strength. LSH is big, but not Sampson Big...

Then Tragedy strikes! SCWCBFTYFLSH's little laserscannythingy has a GPF (General Procrastinating Fart) and can't scan one stupid little flower thing....

Beeep...

Beeep...

Beeep...

LSH finally appeases the SMLVTHC and allows her to go ahead of her. LSH lets out a tiny but sincere Sigh Of Relief. He is free of Tibetan Overdrive Nagging Styles. It's like being in a cloying deja vu of LSH's own Mother.... never again.

SCWCBFTYF's computer finally Gets Its Act Together, and understands what the little Laserthingy's telling it. Hurray! POLBHWIH is off like a flash to her Secret Ninja Cave, where she will practice Ancient Asian Death Techniques, and create Dried Flower Arrangements.

SMLVTHC barges through and plops her five. Yes, 5. More than four, less than six items (admittedly, they were large, but still) on the counter, and bang goes SCWCBFTYFLSH's little laserscannythingy...

Again.

so there's LSH, SMLVTHC, and SCWCBFTYLSH. Listening. To an angry little Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

Finally SCWCBFTYLSH gets An Idea: And calls over the Shift Leader. SL, wise in the ways of littlelaserscannythingies: Knows that littlelaserscannythingie wants nothing more than to Not Work. (It must be in a Union). SL speaks Words of Power to SCWCBFTYLSH depresses Magic Runes on her register, and little Register makes a happy beep, and off goes SMLVTHC to, LSH assumes: A soccer game, or something.

LSH is pretty sure the Gods are going to make something explode next to him by now. LSH's eyes look around for possible explosive items, and the exact distance to the exit. LSH mentally divides it into 5'x5' squares, and wonders if he'll get a high initiative this round....

SCWCBFTYLSH is most friendly to LSH, but that might be LSH's fevered brain working overtime now. He's been subjected to Ninja Old Ladies and Tibetan Nagging Techniques so far.

One Happy Beep later:

LSH leaves the store, once again proud of himself that he won't have to say the line 'Yes, Your Honor, that person needed to die'.

LSH relates all this to his Forum Friends, who will either consider this High Comedy, or the ravings of a Mad Man...

--lstormhammer