The Genographic Project

Orsino

I've been waiting years for something like this. I'm a big fan of Oppenheimer's The Real Eve and Wells' The Journey of Man, which concern, respectively, the Mitochondrial Eve and the Y-chromosomal Adam theories. Now's my chance to get a personal genetic work-up that will point out the likely migration routes my distant ancestors took out of Africa and through Europe. It's nothing much like a genealogy, and won't say anything about particular individuals in my family tree.

My Y-chromosome results, though, will be identical to those my father and brothers (and any modern direct male ancestor) would get, so I'll be sharing. My wife's sister and mother will similarly be insterested in my wife's mitochondrial history.

It'll take a few months, but we've ordered our kits. Until then, I'm geeking severely.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard snipplets of news about this, but I'm no geneticist. I don't even play one on TV. :lol:

Anyway, if what you're testing for is what I think, then you're matching y-chromosome and mitochondrial fingerprints from yourselves to other prints of wide samplings of different ethnic groups and nationalities to find the path with the fewest mutations..thus finding which peoples you came from. It's basically the theory that was used to prove that the first people came from somewhere in Africa.

Somehow I am thinking my ancestors took a wrong turn somewhere around Siberia while on their way to Scotland.

Spent a fair deal of time Studying this sort of thing at university, both of these are fairly interesting, from my perspective we were looking at random mutations on certain portions of mtDNA for determining an evolutionary clock that could be used to understand when various animals (in my case primates) had their last common ancestor. It';s slightly flawed when used in this manner, as no-one really knows the rate of mutation.

Likely to be far more reliable when used in this manner though, pretty interesting that it is being marketed to individuals in addition to being used for scientific and anthropological study.

My favorite little fact about human migration, is that there is more genetic diversity within Africa itself, than the entire rest of the world combined. Thereby demonstating that human populations have spent more time 'evolving' in Africa than outside it, giving us alot of proof (despite many peoples objections) that we all inevitably can trace out roots to our African origins; and ultimately to a very small group of people that many scientists theorise almost went extinct, based on a low level of genetic diversity found within homosapiens as a species, as opposed to a much wider genetic diversity found in many other species, even those with much smaller population sizes.

Wow, sorry about the 'lecture', just got my mind rolling on something I hadn't thought about in some time. Pretty interesting stuff anyway.