Spike

"Mercy" and how Spells and Equipment are captured

Though the book says the Ctrusaders gain any SAs a Mercied model brings with it such as extra initiative cards, and though the book also says a Mercied model becomes Crusader/Good and Grunt, it does not say in so many words whether Mercied models retain faction-specific gear, spells, or even SAs.

For instance, if Yagun Oog accepts Mercy whilst still carrying three Fireballs, can he use them?

If Ombur accepts Mercy while carrying a Warcry, can he still use it, and if so, will he now gain an extra 2 CP bonus for Warcrying at stunned Crusaders?

If Gaaguk accepts Mercy.. *shudders*.. and has Bonsplitter, can he still use his Reven-specific piece of equipment to split the bones of his ex-comrades?

If the third orc archer from the left accepts Mercy, can he still become Enraged when his new Crusader company activates again?

Though the book says the Ctrusaders gain any SAs a Mercied model brings with it such as extra initiative cards, and though the book also says a Mercied model becomes Crusader/Good and Grunt, it does not say in so many words whether Mercied models retain faction-specific gear, spells, or even SAs.

For instance, if Yagun Oog accepts Mercy whilst still carrying three Fireballs, can he use them?

If Ombur accepts Mercy while carrying a Warcry, can he still use it, and if so, will he now gain an extra 2 CP bonus for Warcrying at stunned Crusaders?

If Gaaguk accepts Mercy.. *shudders*.. and has Bonsplitter, can he still use his Reven-specific piece of equipment to split the bones of his ex-comrades?

If the third orc archer from the left accepts Mercy, can he still become Enraged when his new Crusader company activates again?

id say yes on everything. he's still a reven model only now he's friendly to the crusaders. he was also equipped before he became friendly with the crusaders so why would he have to give up his spells and equipment?

just my 2 cents though... :)

id say yes on everything. he's still a reven model only now he's friendly to the crusaders

But again, it says in the rules under "Mercy",

"Its Affiliation becomes Crusader/Good and its Type becomes Grunt"

Remember, he is still an orc.. but not an orc of the Reven.

-----

The one I"m really looking at shades of grey on is the deal with faction-specific spells and gear. The Reven book says..

(under "Shamanic Magic")

"These spells are only available to clerics of the Reven Army list or any sub-lists."

Does change in affiliation negate their ability to own the spells listed?

Though nowhere does it say such, it it left too wide open to interpretation.

But I'm getting this silly mental picture of the redeemed Ombur The Devout casting Aspect of the Hunter upon Kristianna. She'll be soooo pretty with long fangs and claws! :lol:

I would say that he had the spells before so he should keep them. Same with the equipment. Faction ablilties would stay with the faction though, so no enrage or the starting of a Crusader pain cage.

IMHO , yes to everything except the "Enraged" as that is a Reven faction ability and only applies to a model whist it is still in the Reven faction . After all , a mercied model is now a Crusader . :mellow:

When a model is mercied, it becomes a crusader/good.

Using Faction specific spells and equipment represent being of a certain mindset and alignment, something that is changed when they switch sides and join the crusade.

Therefore, models that have been mercied may no longer use any purchased spells or equipment that would not be available to a crusader/good model. Any ability granted to them by their former faction is lost, though they do gain the ability to grant mercy themselves.

Any ability, including Innate Spell, that is actually printed on the datacard is retained since it is a representation of an inherent ability of the model, not simply a spell that is memorized several times. An army faction ability that grants an Innate Spell, such as Warcry, is not applicable since it is not printed on the models data card.

Thanks!

Steve and I debated it back and forth a bit. I think he's just jealous of all my lovely Revenly spells and goodies. So now I'm at liberty to tell him, "Nyah-nyah!" ::P::lol:

Though now I have NEW things to be worried about.. such as that nasty Aurellius spear that Bryan gave a sneak-peek of. BUT on the bright side, Steve is once again motivated about painting the rest of my unpainted orcs if for no other reason than he knows they'll be joining the Crusade in droves once the faction book comes out. :lol:

just wanted to bump this up since we are having those related discussions.

I was actually looking for something else in a search and found this. Thought it was relevant considering where the other thread has gone.

I would say that he had the spells before so he should keep them. Same with the equipment. Faction ablilties would stay with the faction though, so no enrage or the starting of a Crusader pain cage.

There's plenty of equipment that cannot be used by grunts, and by the current phrasing of Mercy, the new Crusader cannot use such equipment anymore. Now, whether he still carries it... (which might matter in a campaign).