Sign in to follow this  
John Lee

Reptus Warlord Guy

Greetings,

Here for your perusal is my latest effort, Reptus Lord, I think, I can't recall the stock number. All those scales made him difficult to paint, I not really satisfied how his skin (if reptus have skin) turned out. I tried to make the armor look a little corroded. Anyway here he is. Comments and suggestions are welcomed.

John Lee

post-685-1135974082.jpg

post-685-1135974110.jpg

post-685-1135974141.jpg

post-685-1135974166.jpg

post-685-1135974189.jpg

• Like 1

Hey that's pretty cool. Those reptus models all look like a pain to paint. You've done a fine job with this one. The armor almost looks like it has a patina/oxidization on it... Really interesting look to it.

SK

Wow, that armor is awesome. It looks so realistic, it looks like you put a lizard mini in some verdegris brass armor. Please share how you did it!

The scales turned out nicely too, and I like how the "skin" pops against the reddish metal. Very nice job!

Thanks, guys, for the kind words. The armor was really the easiest part. I painted it first with some cheap Artdeco brand craft paint called Honest Copper, then washed it good with a mixture of brown and black ink mixed with future floor wax and water ( I've got liqidtex and others but nothing beats good ole future). For the patina I mixed (GW colors, sorry Reaper but, I got to use them up) goblin green, enchanted blue, white, and of course, more future, then washed it again.

John Lee

John I am going to have to parrot what others have already said.....that armor is totally cool!!!!! I will be using your technique on some orcs I think!!!!! I have not tried using future floor wax yet, but your Khong To has convinced me to pick up some. Show us more of you minis plz plz plz!!!!

*joins the chorus*

I LOVE the oxidized look you gave the armour. I have an entire Reven army in pretty shiny bronze armour, and even as I type this, Steve is cringing at the idea that I just MIGHT dare ask him to repaint all my orcs' armour as pretty as your Khong-To's.

He has nice hands. One of them would look really nice on the sheild of a Thomuk warrior. :lol: (Yep..those ARE Reptus-hands on the Reven shields)

I would have to agree with everyone--great armor! I love the scales as well. If I were to nitpick, I might suggest just a hint of shading on the teeth and a bit smoother blending on the greens of the back just below the chains. But the verdegris is AWESOME!

You don't like how his 'skin' turned out. It is absolutly wonderful.

Having worked with actual metal patinas---that armor is some of the most realistic painted metal I have ever seen.

Bravo to you. Can't wait to see the whole army... ::D:

That patina on the armor is brilliant. Very nice indeed. Overall the model looks great, and I especially like the color of the weapon, highlights the eastern theme and fits the fluff.

The only single bit of constructive criticism I can think of - if I think really hard to find something to nitpick - is that his front is one solid block of armor color (albeit, very nice armor). Using his belt to add some color contrast might make him really pop from the front. His back is great.

Sweet paintjob all the same. :)

For the patina I mixed (GW colors, sorry Reaper but, I got to use them up) goblin green, enchanted blue, white, and of course, more future, then washed it again.
Do you remember the ratios you used?

I intend to blatently steal this for the armor on my Reptus, I only hope to come somewhat close...

Well DS,

I must admit that when I paint, I typically use the "JAR" principle. "JAR" meaning, "just about right"; I keep telling myself that I need to write the mixes down, even bought a book for it, but I never do it. Basically, I put some of the goblin green and some of the enchanted blue on my pallet, oh yeah, and a little white. I then mix a little of the blue with the green ( if I had to guess, maybe 3:1, green to blue). After I get a suitable green/blue I add white to get the chalky color, then dilute with a mixture of 50/50 future and water. I typically do two or three washes using varying amounts of white so the corrosion or patina varies. I'm working on another, and I'll take a few notes on the ratios for this one.

Hope this helps some.

John Lee

If I can be of more help, please email me at [email protected]