Australian Market Prices

Ok, let me say that having come from Canada, I'm well aware of the market price for Reaper miniatures in North America compared to the competition, they are very reasonable.

That being said, I am extremely dissatisfied by the Price of Reaper miniatures here in Australia. I'm looking at over $10-$11 (Over $7 US) for a single character blister, and $28-$30 (Over $20 US) for a standard 3 grunt Warlord blister. The market appears to be dominated by unfair business practices, where the 2 major distributors of Reaper miniatures here on the continent also own and run store fronts, and as such use these store front to gain a monopoly on the Reaper Miniatures market.

Reaper miniatures appear to be readily and quickly available at such LGS, but at an extreme price. My understanding (and I put alot of stock in this information) is that they are failing to properly, and fairly distribute Reapers miniatures beyond their store front; meaning other stores that have to order Reaper miniatures through the distributors are not having their orders fulfilled, despite the distributors clearly being able to import such stock, as it appears in their store fronts. This seems contrary to a free market situation.

What is Reaper doing to remedy this sort of problem, are they even aware that it iexists?

In addittion, what is Reaper doing to alleviate the high cost of their product here in Australia, and if the answer is 'nothing', how can they justify their product being sold at such a high price, surely it is counter-productive to sales (particularly since right now our Target Warlord audience seems to be the 14-20 year old group, who have plenty of disposable income, but who are a tough sell on the miniatures, when a starter box comes in at over $80AU; Brushmaster has plenty of kids playing the game, they are very interested, but very few have miniatures, 1) because they arn't available everywhere, and 2) because of their cost).

Has Reaper considered, or explored the option of out-sourcing their casting to an on-continent company? This would at very least remove a portion of the miniatures cost due to shipping. What other options are available to a store in AUstralia that wants to carry Reaper miniatures but can't rely on local distributors to fill their orders?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree with what you're saying, im an Australian and have been paying these ridiculous prices for quite some time, although i do remember back in '96 when reaper figures were $3.15AUD each, but those times are long gone and now like said they are up to $11AUD each.

i dont know anyone here in Australia that currently owns a boxed reaper dragon as they cost nearly $200AUD. and alot of my friends are now going back to games workshop for their minis as reaper miniatures is no longer the best priced line available.

As for warlord, there is absolutely no market for this in Australia as the starter boxes are over $80AUD and a games workshop/citadel regiment is way cheaper and more easily available.

This is definately an issue that should be addressed by reaper or i fear that this brand of minis will be entirley lost here in Australia...

cheers, from mike

Even at $79AU for a starter set I'd have to cry foul, with them being $39.95US MSRP. The MSRP should allow for around a 40% mark-up, so the profit margin is already built in, the retailer shouldn't be jacking the price above it in my opinion.

Even liberally calling the Aussie Dollar 0.70 US, and adding $10 AU for shipping (and believe me, shipping isn't going to be that expensive in volume), and adding 10% GST we're talking about $72 AU with exceptional shipping costs, and a poor exchange rate.

I'm going to be blatently honest, I can get stuff direct order from the states substantially cheaper than what I can get it here. I'm a fan of supporting FLGS but it isn't even remotely in my interest to do so here in my opinion, as to get the minis I want I have to support the stores that are failing to create a fair free market.

Maybe I'm just spoiled being from North America, but I still feel like something should be done to help the Price of Reapers products here in Australia.

Warlord figures though are actually fairly pricey. Not excessively so, though, and not in GW league (for the most part). The starter sets are, at retail prices, actually a pretty good value deal down here at about $79.

I have to agree at my LGS , that is and if he can get the stuff in .

Try ordering from MilSims (they can at times be an absolute pain in the arse to deal with, but they're generally pretty good on price, and carry alot of Reaper stock).

But they're one of the main problems , by undercutting my LGS, who has to order from them as they are a subsiduary of one of the distributors , and then they take forever . :blink: Case in example ; had an order for a hill giant through my LGS for 4 months and it just came in on New Year's eve , and this is when my LGS ordered through both distributors , hoping one would come through . In the end its cheaper and quicker to order direct through Reaper or an online store , but that does not help the local market or the exposure of the game except through demos like I do myself ! :down:

:devil:

Exorbitant prices can be common across the board, on almost every available range - just as they are for books, CD's, DVD's, firearms, and almost everything else we import and pay Customs Duty on. :rock:

Tommy. :B):

Sounds to me like you guys should throw a Boston Tea Party. I wonder what something like that would be in the modern world?

In case you don't know what I'm talking about, the Boston Tea Pasty was not so much a party. A bunch of guys dress up as native americans, borded a ship, and threw the tea overboard as a protest to the high taxation of goods in America. This was prior to the revolutionary war. I some how doubt that would be exceptible now a days. The irony of the whole thing is that we now pay way more in taxes than we did in the colonial times.

Speaking of monopalies, about five or six years ago I saw a program that investigated the fact that all the media in Astraila is owned by only two companies. Sounds like you are having a simular problem with your distibuters.

Speaking of monopalies, about five or six years ago I saw a program that investigated the fact that all the media in Astraila is owned by only two companies. Sounds like you are having a simular problem with your distibuters.

Yeh , its only gotten really bad in the last 8 to 10 years with new changes to tax laws and other companies falling by the wayside . :down:

Yeah, I remember when I first started buying Reapers probably 10 years+ ago for $3 a hit which then were a little pricey compared to the Ral Partha's that were still available before they went tits up.

Since then the US prices have risen quite a bit and the AUD prices today are pretty much the US price x 2 plus a bit extra which is expensive. The AUD price has slowed down my purchases a lot and when I know I'm buying in bulk I will consider an overseas order to save.

Even with overseas posatge international internet orders are a very effective Boston tea party.

Cheers

Even with overseas posatge international internet orders are a very effective Boston tea party.

Shop ran an internet retailer that gives you 15-30% off (which many do), and that covers the cost of your shipping (assuming a big order) giving us over here in Australia the only chance of getting miniatures at anywhere remotely close to MSRP. Even if I was to buy full price from the US and pay for shipping it would cost me less than buying it at a gaming store here. I'm all for supporting the industry, and local brick and mortar stores, but not if those stores arn't willing to help themselves out by presenting me with reasonable prices. I still do all my shopping for RPG type stuff at local gaming stores, because their prices are competative, so I havn't abandoned the games stores here in Australia.

Some sort of 'official' comment on Reaper's prices here in Australia would be nice, even if it is just an acknowledgement that this thread has been read, so that Reaper supporters here in Australia can take consolation that Reaper at least knows about our situation here. I don't expect to see any radical changes, but I would like to see idea of fair competition among Reaper retailers here addressed so that we can at very least buy Reapers miniatures at the stores we want to.

Saw $140AU for the Crusader's box set at a local retailer yesterday.

Yes folks, that's a whopping $102 US, an outragious $32US above MSRP.

At these cost mail order is the only option (including shipping costs I recieved my Crusaders box set for approximately $90AU, $67US, when I mail ordered it from an online shop in the states).

Reaper claims to be all about Brick and Mortar stores in America, well how about getting to the bottom of all of the ridiculous prices distributors/retailers are charging outside of the US so that shopping at a Brick and Mortar store is an affordable option. Let's not worry about taking care of the retailer, let's worry about taking care of your customers who are being taken advantage of, and your product which is moving in much lower volumes than it should be due to the retail price.

You might want to look into independant stores (if you have any locally) and encourage them to contact Reaper directly (or contact them directly yourselves). I know that much along these lines won't be commented on on the message boards just to avoid any form of miscomunication.

All the same though, an Australian store should be able to order directly through the Reaper's b2b store and bypass the distributors in Australia if they are not playing nice. Shipping isn't too bad on most my stuff I order from down there (quite a few from Eureka directly - plus other stuff not available in the states). Takes between a week and two to show up though.

Shouldn't be too hard to convince the store owners and managers to do the leg work for you.

I've worked out that the only thing keeping Milsims competitive in some areas is the fact that postage can duble the price of an item sourced OS. In other areas however they offer substantial discounts. Go have a look at http://www.milsims.com.au . Note that I'm pretty certain they'd cut their own throat trying to discount as deeply as big American online stores; we're a small, geographically isolated market.

Eureka on the other hand seem to have really good prices most of the time. They also stock Vallejo. Postage on a single pot of paint sucks though. http://www.eurekamin.com.au

But yeah, distribution on this continent is bad enough that I am seriously considering setting myself up to handle retail volumes of stock direct from various manufacturers.

however in the interests of fairness, here's one of the distributers' websites: http://www.archangelgames.com/

Also, Olympian Games appears to quietly be distributer or sole importer for Coat d' Arms paints and some historical lines, and also does custom bases: http://olympian-games.com/

Want more links? PM me.

G'day Tommy. Yeah, some of Eureka's stuff is pretty ordinary, but they do the GZG stuff under licence, and some of that is very reasonable, not display stuff, but good for the tabletop. Other of it is ugly as sin and I would never own it. However were I going to go out and buy a 28mm scifi skirmish army tomorrow, I'd go Stargrunt 28's from Eureka; with care you get some good models for frikkin' little cash.

As for Archangel Games, they've been active for a few years but their old site was...... well, it sucked. Hard.

Another Aussie manufacturer is Maidenhead Games. The sculpts vary, they have a strong visual style, and some are very good. They also consist almost entirely of what the yanks here call, for no discernable reason, "cheesecake" : http://members.optushome.com.au/cynan/ The Feral Elves.... oh, I want them. To own. As miniatures........ but there are social issues to consider ;)

NUDITY ALERT ON THAT LINK! If a 28mm tall metal thing can even be said to BE nude...