Australian Market Prices

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Online Etymology Dictionary:

cheese

O.E. cyse, from W.Gmc. *kasjus, from L. caseus "cheese," from PIE base *kwat- "to ferment, become sour." Earliest refs. would be to compressed curds of milk used as food; pressed or molded cheeses with rinds are 14c. Fr. fromage is from M.L. formaticum, from L. forma "shape, form, mold." As a photographer's word to make subjects hold a smile, it is attested from 1930, but in a reminiscence of schoolboy days, which suggests an earlier use. Cheeseburger first attested 1938. Cheesecake (c.1440) is first recorded 1934 in slang sense of "photograph of sexy young women." To make cheeses was a schoolgirls' amusement (1835) of wheeling rapidly so one's petticoats blew out in a circle then dropping down so they came to rest inflated and resembling a wheel of cheese; hence, used figuratively for "a deep curtsey."

• Reaper User

After this thread started I did some research into the situation. From our end we are seeing resistance from distribution in Australia about importing Reaper in general. The two I spoke with at length summed it up as "Australia is a GW (for fantsasy sci-fi) market and there is little or no demand for Reaper" and "Vallejo is the only paint anyone wants"

As a side note I tracked down several retail stores and finally found one that would exchange emails with me on a up-front no BS level. From him I discovered that distributors own a lot of their own retail outlets and in turn carry a lot of products from the US in those stores. This particular retail outlet also told me that he had been told Reaper was an exclusive import line and that we (Reaper) restricted the retail stores that carried various Reaper products and had granted "exclusive" sales rights etc. (I must add here I have no real idea of this stores status or size and for all intents and purposes he could have just been a garage mail order operation)

With this said I find Australia to be a vastly misunderstood market by both myself and Reaper in general and believe that the vast distance compounds the misunderstanding. Conversations and emails have been exchanged between myself and distributors as I passed along what I was told but because I would not reveal who I had spoken with my words carried no real value.

Possible Solution:

If interested or as concerned as you are about the pricing or availability of Reaper have your FLGS email me directly. We have no exclussives or restrictions with any company in Australia so they could import it directly from us.

Needed Help:

Can anyone email me an analysis from their perspective of the Australian market for non-GW products.

Email to: [email protected]

best,

Nice.

I was looking at moving to New Zealand at one point about a year ago and took a tour of all the gameshops I could find on the North Island over the course of three weeks. The only game stores that carry minis are Gamesworkshop and of course they don't carry Reaper. I was pretty dissapointed about it and asked all the people there to clue me in about the market. They said there was no market, but my observation of the GW stores spoke volumes. I remember going into a store at 11am on a weekday and seeing six or seven people there, four playing games and 2 or 3 painting! The other one I visited had a LOT of people hanging out even though they had no room for tables.

I actually considered asking you guys to hire me as a marketing rep and sending me back! Heh. But I've since bought a store here in the US so that's not happening I guess...

Anyway, my point is, if you're looking to extend your reach in Australia you might want to take a look at New Zealand while you're at it. It's an awesome little country and there are gamers there! I suspect they are suffering from the same distribution issues that the Aussies are. I remember one shop owner giving me Reaper prices that sounded pretty much the same as what everyone else has said for Australia...

It seems to me that almost every imported miniature gets a huge mark up out here compared to what I can get online and mail order . The only things I find the are reseasonalby priced , incomparison to online , are books and D&D stuff . :down: Oh well , its something we'll have to up with or go elsewhere but that doesn't help getting products noticed .

My analysis is that many times, retailers put the price just below what you could import the model yourself for. Myself being not from a major city, Milsims or Games Workshop is what there is, simple as that.

I wish I could offer more help but my circumstances are that everything I do is via mail-order. I strongly believe that the retail market is underserviced here, but you have to consider that I live in the 90% of the landmass that many companies simply ignore. Frankly as far as miniatures go I would love to live in the US, or the UK even.

I suppose the US and UK have the population to support more home-grown stuff and that's why there's so much good stuff available there, Australia is pretty small. But we are also pretty damn rich, not to put too fine a point on it, and miniatures don't take a lot of income.

Another thing to note is there doesn't seem to be much of a FLGS scene here. My two nearest only-just-cities don't have anything I'd call a FLGS- one has a gift and novelty shop (Wagga Wagga, with its Logical Choice outlet) that has a few shelves of RPG, and a display of GW stuff, a small rack of Flames of War, nothing else. That's it. The nation's capital (admittedly not THAT big a city) has maybe, maybe two places, one of which does almost entirely historicals AFAIK.

The whole "hobby scene", and I mean any hobby at all, seems tiny over here in terms of retail presence. Scrapbooking and sewing are the only two you can be sure to find.

Outside of the major cities , Sydney , Melbourne , etc, there isn't much other than GW stuff . As for FLGS , well in Sydney its really gone down hill since the 90's . There used to be about 9 other stores in Sydney other than GW but now there are only 3 or 4 , and even GW have closed one of their stores recently ! :blink:

The only reason I knew there were other mini companies besides GW is because of their oh so friendly staff I had to find myself another store as I couldn't bring myself to even enter a GW store anymore.I then found Mindgames and realised that only half their store was GW stuff and there was all this other cool stuff available.

Whether there is a mini market in Aus i'm not sure, but there definitely isn't any advertising. You have to go out and look for the stuff rather than it finding you.

Cheers

Whether there is a mini market in Aus i'm not sure, but there definitely isn't any advertising. You have to go out and look for the stuff rather than it finding you.

Cheers

That's not just Australia.

There are at least four gaming-only (i.e. no comic books) store within what I would call driving distance of my house. None of them do any advertising at all. My favorite one I only found because I drove past it on my way home from a job interview in the fall of 2000. Another one I found because a comic shop referred me there during a quest for Magic:the Gathering single cards in the early 90's, but I won't do business there any more because of a combination of criminal allegations against one of the owners and terrible customer service from a member of the store staff (being yelled at for calling into the shop and asking a question).

Miniature games/rpg game stores have the luxury of not needing to advertise, but they certainly lose a lot of potential business simply because people don't know that they're there...