Camoflage

lstormhammer

I personally have a few faves, but the all time top 3 are:

1) Late war WWII German "Panzer Ambush Scheme"; This is the Dark Earth Yellow/ Dark Earth Red/ Dark Armor Green scheme with the spots.

2) WWII German SS uniform camo; The 1943 version, with the tan background, and reversible for either greens (spring/summer) or brown/orange (fall). Very kewl camo.

3) Vietnam era US "Tiger Stripe" jungle camo; This camo rocks! I've used it on several mechs and troopers over the years. If you can match the greens/browns/tans, and have the patience to take that much time, it's well worth the effort.

If anyone wants a how-to on these camos, just email me. For the Panzer camo, I usually end up using at least 8 colors to get just the right look of "well used" gear.

So come on, tell me your fave camos. Maybe we can learn from each other. Maybe I will find a new idea to try out!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it depends.

I'm currently learning how to do cammo patterns, but i have learned this: Start with your lightest color, then add from light-to-dark, eventually, only putting on your black (if applicable) on last, and in small doses. The main problem with cammo-ing miniatures is that you loose so much detail. So it's a fine line between 'accurate cammo' and 'identifiable as a mini'.

Mind you, I also have a game where Cammo is actually hearaldry for the Wood Elves. It means beans for humans, but any Elf is going to know who and what the cammo patterns mean.

--lstormhammer

Hmmm...camo schemes...

The German schemes are quite attractive, and I'm doing a model of a Tiger II in the Ambush scheme now as we speak...

My fave scheme however is the one used by the modern Swedish army. A splinter scheme with 2 greens, black and (IIRC) brown. The pattern is quite complex and very daunting to paint.

The SS Spring patters camo scheme is probably the easiest for me to paint I've found. I use a pin to put in the little "spots". The Autumn scheme still eludes me...

I still have trouble with modern US woodland camo scheme as seen on uniforms. I was in the army and around the uniform every day, and I STILL can't get it quite right. I often have one of my old uniforms hanging on a door when I attempt it...

Damon.

PS: In the real world sometimes camo schemes do NOT go from lightest to darkest. The example I can think of is that applied to German tanks in the Fall of '44 or so. Tanks were based in dark green and the other camo colors (dark yellow & red brown) were applied over this in the factory. The effect is subtle, but to the trained eye it becomes obvious...

Thank you Lars! I'm glad to see someone else has done their homework! I'm a bit of a history buff as well as a gamer, and it stands me in good stead.

So, whose army did you serve with, US Army? I was in the US Army many moons ago. I was 11B, 2nd Plt., Bravo, 2/87, 10th Mountain Division. What was your unit and MOS?

If you need help painting the NATO woodland camo, just ask and I'll help as best I can.

If you want a super whipass book formodelling, get into the Military Book Club and try to get "Panzer Modelling Masterclass" by Tony Greenland. I've found it invaluable.

Good Luck!

Hey,

I'm not just a history buff, I have a college degree in history...

My last Army experience (US army of course...) was with OCS. Bad stuff happened though. Don't like to talk about it. But my Army experience was always positive. I was an Armor guy (I NEVER referred to myself by MOS code...sort of like my buddy who refused to say HOOAH! I guess...). I think my favorite assignment was at Ft. Knox (where I also did Basic). If you haven't been paying attention then you wouldn't know why... :;):

For some reason it seems like SF/Fantasy guys have a thing against historicals, or think their "boring". But a great deal of inspiration can be had by looking at an Osprey monograph or going down to the museum. Need a cool paintjob for your 'Mech? Check out the Gate Guard tanks at your local army post or base. Or check out an Osprey.

Damon.

As a SF/Fantasy player I have to say I depend on military camo designs for alot of my insiration! Maybe it is from my armor model building days, but what ever the reason I am currently lookign to find a good scheme for my CAV†units. Working at a bookstore I have access to a variety of color pics, and illustrations from most militaries through out history.

Not that I have had much luck with the painting side of the process yet, but that will come with practice.

Well, usually I only paint up fantasy minis, but now and then camo looks pretty darned good on a mini.  While I am not into certain schemes, I would rather invent my own, here is how I do it.

First off I put on my base color.

Next using a small piece of sponge or a really worn out fanned out paint brush, I dab on a second color in random patterns.

Third, I do step two with another color.

Continue with as many colors as required.

The result is a dappled camo effect that looks really cool - at least in my opinion.

Recently got my hands on Brassey's Book of Camouflage, for those of you looking for reference to many styles in one place take a look at this book. There is a short history, but then there are about 49 color, 10x10inch examples of different schemes. Following this section is 49 more pages listing of most of the major military forces and examples of some of the designs they have used or currently are using. These pictures range in size, the biggest being 4x4.

The ISBN (Internation Standard Book Number for those of you who do not speak bookish) is 1857533364, the authors are Newark, Newark, and Borsarello

In Saudi †Arabia, at the beginning of the Gulf War, I was involved with helping the advance and first follow-on groups of troups as they arrived. †Navy Seals, 82nd Airborne ready brigade, and the 7th Marine Expeditionary Brigade. †7th MEB specialized in desert warfare from 29 Palms CA. †Their major equipment, HumVees, M60A1's, etc. were being offloaded from a ready deployment squadron of ships.

You are familiar how the forest camoflage paint job is on vehicles. †7th MEB's vehicles had the same pattern but only in various browns and tans. †They tended to be on the deeper and darker shades. †I have never seen it reproduce in reference materials or seen any military modeler produce a model with that configuration of camoflage. †

It became my favorite pattern of all the ones I've seen. †I don't have the talent to try to reproduce it myself. †Sorry for the length of the post.

rm

You are familiar how the forest camoflage paint job is on vehicles. †7th MEB's vehicles had the same pattern but only in various browns and tans. †They tended to be on the deeper and darker shades. †I have never seen it reproduce in reference materials or seen any military modeler produce a model with that configuration of camoflage. †

You wouldn't happen to have the FS-595a codes do you? Also, does this scheme use the 3 color NATO pattern or the older 4 color MERDC pattern?

Damon.

I apologize.  I was a U.S. Navy officer at the time working with the Saudi Navy as a military advisor.  Since we knew all the Saudi military contacts, when Desert Shield started, everyone got tapped to assist the troops arriving.  The marines of 7th MEB were flown in.  This forward deployed squadron of 5 to 6 cargo ships loaded with their equipment located near Diego Garcia was ordered to Saudi Arabia to meet the Marines to offload.  So much for background.

Anyway as a squid, I'm not familiar with the Nato standard paint schemes, codes, etc.  However I have always had an interest in military equipment.  You would not believe all the variants of the HumVee and the LAV I saw and I'm not sure I saw them all even then after the U.S. Army equipment started arriving.  As I previously mentioned, the tanks, trucks, HumVees, LAV's were all painted in the color scheme.  I absolutely have no talent for trying to reproduce the camoflage scheme.  

If you are interested to reproduce it, you probably could contact the Marine Corps Historical Divison Public Affairs Office of the Marine Corps.  Or you might contact the Marine base at 29 Palms CA Public Affairs Office.  I hope this helps a little.

rm