Greenstuff vs stripping

Sergei

I've scuplted a bunch of undead pirates for Warlord useing skeletons and green stuff. They all look good but I'm thinking of stripping them with floor cleaner and repainting them. My concern is that the green stuff will dissapper along with the paint.

Am I worring about nothing or should I skip tht Idea.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether or not your greenstuff melts depends on the kind of stipper you are using.

Simple green, and rubbing alcohol to my knowledge will not harm the green stuff. I would still test a mini you don't care much about just to be sure. 3M citristrip I hear works alright too.

Just make a thin roll of Greenstuff, let it cure for a day, and throw it in the stripper, and see how long it takes ( if ever ) to cause a adverse effect.

I'd stick that piece of greenstuff to some metal first. While the greenstuff itself might survive it's importatnt to test if it falls off the metal.

I've had green stuff in Simple Green for well over a week (because I forgot it was being dipped). I pulled it out. The Green stuff changes color (different shade of Green), and is initially softened, but when left in the air it dried back out and regained its hardness. I also pin just about everything, and the greenstuff wasn't holding up a particularly heavy appendage. So YMMV.

Some people use acetone for an extra final smoothing of their greens though. It's not healthy as it produces toxic gases and strongly adviced against by quite a few professional sculptors. Still some people do it.

I've tried vinegar, thinned down and applied with a soft brush. It does make the green stuff smooth, but it also "whitens" it while it dries... and takes longer to dry. No fumes I'm aware of, but honestly I find using a plastic bag for smoothing helps more than anything else.

Kinda curious exactly what the vinegar is actually doing to the green stuff.

Kep

Some people use acetone for an extra final smoothing of their greens though. It's not healthy as it produces toxic gases and strongly adviced against by quite a few professional sculptors. Still some people do it.