Sign in to follow this  
Kengar

"Official" minis and conversions

This is probably a silly question, but does converting an "official" Warlord mini ban it from "official" play (i.e. GenCon, etc.)? There are 1-2 sculpts I dearly want to tweak just a little, and while it's unlikely I'll be able to attend many "big" cons where it matters, I'd just like to know for my own information.

Also, 1-2 of my friends are debating about commissioning a small FC (500-750 points from me) and -before I fiddle with any of those sculpts- I want to know whether I'm making them "officially unplayable."

Official Conversion Ruling

Here's the body of the text:

Official Answer: (ie the ruling for the 3 venues that Reaper holds Official Tournaments, Reaper Con, Origins, Gen Con)

"Conversions are allowed as long as the event judge is able to identify the legs and upperbody/torso of the base model. The base model must be a legal model for the game. Official Proxy rule applies."

Hope that helps answer your questions.

Essentially, core of the model still needs to be identified as the original.

Cool. Thanks.

The conversions I'm looking at are pretty tame (weapon swaps, slight pose changes, etc.).

If I can identify the miniature through the modifications, then it's allowed.

If you try passing Gerard off with the Witch Queen's Head and Gauntfield's body, I'll tell you how nice your conversion is, but it is not going on the table.

If you try passing Gerard off with the Witch Queen's Head and Gauntfield's body, I'll tell you how nice your conversion is, but it is not going on the table.

I think Gauntfield's head on the Witch Queen's body would be cooler. :upside::wacko:

Seriously, though. The only actual conversions I've done at all was a weapon swap on a grunt and a little greenstuff on a helmet. Other than that, I've bent some limbs for poses and done a little decorative basing.

I think a good chunk of us have repositioned a limb or swapped a weapon out on some of our models. Heck, I spent several hours repositioning arms on virtually all of my Bull Orc Warriors. I think I have 3 of my 12 (or 15 - forget how many I actually have) that are the same position as the original models.

I haven't even needed green stuff for it, just bending.

Have fun, customize.

I think Gauntfield's head on the Witch Queen's body would be cooler. :upside::wacko:

Seriously, though. The only actual conversions I've done at all was a weapon swap on a grunt and a little greenstuff on a helmet. Other than that, I've bent some limbs for poses and done a little decorative basing.

I see no problems with re-poses and weapon swaps.

HEY Qwyk! No Camo colors time around!

you should see the butcher job I did to put a overlord shield on Iks, that necropolis shield while cool was bugging me.

Mad Pat

HEY Qwyk! No Camo colors time around!

It would have been perfect too if people had actually forgotten about my Models because the primer happened to match that scenery perfectly ::D: Besides, not all the figures were primed. I had paint on those warriors!!! Well, some of them. And I've almost finished those :lol:

Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend RCon this year, so fear not. My wife and I are expecting our first little one at the end of May, so I won't be travelling.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend RCon this year, so fear not. My wife and I are expecting our first little one at the end of May, so I won't be travelling.

I know this off topic for a second, but I have to say Congratulations Qwyk! That is totally awesome!! ::):::):::):

Anyways, I have been fortunate I suppose that pretty much everyone I play with doesn't attempt to convert too many models into something else. I do have one player that created his own treeman using wire of some kind. He put it on a CD and painted it up and everything. We always tease him that he needs to put pink or purple Troll Doll hair and googly eyes on it, but he won't bite for some reason. :lol:

We let him play with it because he handicapped himself with the bigger base. That means I can get that many more troopers in hand to hand with that sucker!

Wild Bill :blues:

you should see the butcher job I did to put a overlord shield on Iks, that necropolis shield while cool was bugging me.

Mad Pat

Speaking of hack jobs, you should see my Iks with his shield I took from Athank. As a matter of fact, maybe I'll put it up on Warlord HQ along with my converted Golem and my Lola without all of the terrain attached to her.

Mad Pat

Speaking of hack jobs, you should see my Iks with his shield I took from Athank. As a matter of fact, maybe I'll put it up on Warlord HQ along with my converted Golem and my Lola without all of the terrain attached to her.

That'd be cool if you did! Through the haze that is my memory of Gen Con, I seem to recall really liking what you did with your Onyx Golem.

Thanks mate!

I gave the Golem a couple weapons and sprinkled a blister's worth of Reaper Skull accessories on him as trophies. We just got a digital cam so mayhap I will stop being so lazy and git r done. I've done some battles and a peice of fiction, so it's time to post minis and be more rounded and such. ;)

New Year's Resolution: Get at least one 750-point army painted, photo'd, and on the table. Taking baby steps, here. I own nearly two 750-pointers now (Necro & Crus). ::D:

Thanks mate!

I gave the Golem a couple weapons and sprinkled a blister's worth of Reaper Skull accessories on him as trophies. We just got a digital cam so mayhap I will stop being so lazy and git r done. I've done some battles and a peice of fiction, so it's time to post minis and be more rounded and such. ;)

Right! It's coming back to me now! You put an axe in one of its hands, didn't you? Yep! Now I remember. Yeah dude. pics, words, battles. It's all good stuff. Get 'em up there!