Court Sucks!!!!!

ugluk69

Me either yet. *crosses fingers* I'm pretty sure that I an get out of it by simply stating we should bring back public executions. :lol:

Here's a good 'un that might make yall chuckle. Once upon a time I got a speeding ticket. 20 in a 30, school zone. I knew it was there and I was looking for the sign when they got me. No big. The cop was pleasant and so was I, it was a righteous ticket, no point in being pissy right?

So, I carry myself to court and get a diversion. I pay the fee and go to the silly driving school and it doesn't go on my record. About a week later I get a notice in the mail saying I've failed to comply with the terms of the diversion ( no more tickets for a year ) and a warrant is gonna be issued if I don't appear. :huh:

I put on my party hat and go to city hall and ask what the heck?

"You didn't pay your diversion fee."

"Yes ma'am I did, here's my receipt."

"Whoops the City Attorney wrote the wrong case number on your paperwork, we'll take care of it."

"Thank you."

All's well that ends well right? Wrong. Fast forward a year and my tag is expired. That's a whole different story but it had to do with a mis-titled truck and waiting on a power of attorney from Ford to change it. I get pulled over on July 4th for the expired tag and find out my license is suspended. :huh: Do not pass "go" do not collect $200, go directly to jail. :blues:

Four hours later I sign out on an OR bond and just KNOW it has to do with that damn ticket. So the next business day I'm back at City Hall with my party hat on, again asking what the heck? :huh:

"You failed to pay your diversion fee and our system issues a warrant and suspends your license 30 days later."

"I paid it and here's proof."

"Whoops."

A secretary for one of the judges write a nice letter saying my license was suspended in error and asks me to take it to the State drivers control board and get my license un-revoked. I ask about the "driving on a suspened license" charge and they say I have to talk to the DA's office about that. Great. :wacko:

Over to the DA I go, letter in hand and they say no problem we'll dismiss the charge today. Great. ::): I was also able to prove via a memo from the treasurers office that the expired tag wasn't my fault either. All's well that ends well right? Wrong. Six months later I get a warrant notification in the mail. Back to the DA's office I go.

"You failed to appear."

"For what??"

"A suspended license charge."

"Nuh-uh! That was dismissed and here's the paper saying so!" *Notice I'm a little more emotional now*

*Some checking in the back goes on*

"Uh.. well..the DA decided that since the more serious of the two charges never really existed there was no need to file the motion to dismiss."

"And both charges were on the same motion?"

"Uh, yeah."

"So now what?"

"We'll file it today and revoke the warrant."

Now I'm not particularly litigious by nature but by now I was seriously considering lawyering up and going after someone for pain and suffering or emotional distress and I expressed this to the nice little ADA. She assured me that this was over with as of that day. All's well that ends well, right? Almost. There's this little loophole in KS law that prevents an arrest record from being expunged if it's dismissed. Had I been tried and found not guilty it could have been. :upside:

So, thanks to a clerical error I have an arrest record that will be there forever that looks like, to those who know, a plea bargain. :upside:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been selected every 3 years since the day I turned 18.

The only exception was last year when I turned 30. I also moved right before then, so I imagine they just haven't caught up to me yet. ::D:

I've never been empanelled on a jury. I imagine I most likely ever will either.

Profession: Social Worker. Father is a Corrections Officer.

Thank you, you're excused. -_-

I've been selected every 3 years since the day I turned 18.

The only exception was last year when I turned 30. I also moved right before then, so I imagine they just haven't caught up to me yet. ::D:

I've never been empanelled on a jury. I imagine I most likely ever will either.

Profession: Social Worker. Father is a Corrections Officer.

Thank you, you're excused. -_-

I once got as far as having the judge ask if I could put my feelings aside and be impartial...

To which I answered, "you want me to decide if a convicted child rapist should be let out early?!? I've already decided against that!"

Thank you, you're excused...

PS

Called twice for jury duty. First time I was excused before I even showed up. Second time I sat in a room for a few hours until someone stuck their head in the door and said we were excused (and didn't get paid for that, because I was never empanelled).

That was Wayne county, Monroe hasn't called me yet but I did have to fill out a form a few months back. I'm expecting the hook any day now...

I actually enjoyed my time in court waiting for my tenant cases to come up.

I was listening to a conversion between a defense attorney and the accused.

DA: "The police officer states you leaned over and grabbed the knife in the passenger seat".

Accused: "That cop is lying, I was just going to hand it to him".

DA: "Even after he told you not to touch the knife?".

Accused: "I didn't hear him".

DA: "And here the police officer states you made an obscene gesture and tried to drive off. In the attempt you hit the lamppost".

Accused: "Yeah, that was where the cop hurt my back pulling me through the window".

I almost felt sorry for the DA, almost.

I have been called five or six times in the last 24 years and served once on a Federal Jury, although it was just an immigration case. I find the whole process fascinating and just don't really understand why everyone hates jury duty so much.

I find the whole process fascinating and just don't really understand why everyone hates jury duty so much.

My first time on jury duty, I was an alternate juror for a criminal case in Chicago (3 days, the 2nd & 3rd times I was called for jd were each only 1 day).

My company pays employees at full normal rate when they serve on Jury Duty (true for both the salaried workers and the hourly). A lot of my fellow jurors were not paid by their employers, and so losing half a week's paycheck hurt them severely (the $17.20 juror daily 'paycheck' isn't enough to replace their lost wages)