MSP problems

Mclimbin

Hey all,

I just bought 30+ bottles of MSPs from a third party vendor with my Christmas money. I finally sat down to use them last night and had some problems with the greens (forest, grass, jade green). They were going on very splotchy, even when thinned to the point of translucency. I could not get them to layer because they were coming off the brush so unevenly. I have used other MSPs and not had this problem. Did I get a bad batch? I heard that there were problems with the formulation of the first batch of some of the MSPs, was this the problem? Most of the bottles I got are the older kind with the taped-on labels. Does that mean that other paints that I bought will have the same problems?

Actually, now that I think about it, I think the problems were with the jade green and a yellow that I was using for highlights, not the grassy or forest greens.

I think that the Reaper peeps will replace these for me (right?), but I'm wondering how many of the ones I bought will need to be replaced. Should I just ask to replace all the ones with the taped on labels? Does anyone know if Anne has a list of problem paints? Also, should I go through the vendor who sold me the paints instead of directly through Reaper?

The problem might not be the paints too, I suppose. Could there be any other explanation? Did I just not shake them enough?

So many questions, eh?

Frustrated,

Michael

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since you've got those bottles with taped on labels, which I think was only done on the initial batch of paints, that means those greens have been sitting around for about a year on a shelf somehwere. This means you probably need to really, really, really shake them, and then shake them some more.

I recently had the exact same problem you had with the early triad that highlights with "blood red." But I've used it before without that problem, so I think I simply hadn't shaken it enough and been too stubborn to start over.. :) Did it feel kinda like smearing on plastic to you?

I've not had that problem with the green, but I haven't used it in a while.

Can't offer any advice on the bright yellows - I don't think I've used 'em. :)

/ali

I really hope that the problem was just that I was lazy and didn't shake them enough. I'll give them a good long shake this evening and see how they work out. I'd much rather just do more shaking than have to replace them all.

• Reaper User

Let me know how it goes, please! You'll want to go directly through Reaper for replacements, rather than through the distributors. Can you tell me exactly which color yellow you were using with the Jade green? Just want to double-check... :;):

In answer to your query, some of the earliest batches of MSP's needed tweaking, and most have now been tweaked. If you get a clumpy, shiny, or otherwise weird paint without a taped-on label it's either a bad batch or human error. In any case, you are entitled to a replacement! Reaper would rather replace a few paints and have a satisfied customer than have you keep paints you don't like.

Re: the shiny reds, I'm looking into it as we speak. Thanks for giving me the heads-up, guys--after I do the formulas I'm usually just using the paint from my hand-mixed batch and haven't tried the production batch, so I value your feedback!!

--Anne ::):

I really hope that the problem was just that I was lazy and didn't shake them enough. I'll give them a good long shake this evening and see how they work out. I'd much rather just do more shaking than have to replace them all.

Hi Anne,

Thanks for the response, I knew you'd get around to it eventually! :)

The yellow was Lemon Yellow, and after shaking all of them I'm still having some problems with the Jade Green and the yellow. I'll contact Bryan or somebody there in Denton in the next few days.

By the way, just so you know, I'm the person that Laszlo contacted you about too.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the customer service you (all--speakin' of Texas) provide. :)

Michael

Let me know how it goes, please! You'll want to go directly through Reaper for replacements, rather than through the distributors. Can you tell me exactly which color yellow you were using with the Jade green? Just want to double-check... :;):

In answer to your query, some of the earliest batches of MSP's needed tweaking, and most have now been tweaked. If you get a clumpy, shiny, or otherwise weird paint without a taped-on label it's either a bad batch or human error. In any case, you are entitled to a replacement! Reaper would rather replace a few paints and have a satisfied customer than have you keep paints you don't like.

Re: the shiny reds, I'm looking into it as we speak. Thanks for giving me the heads-up, guys--after I do the formulas I'm usually just using the paint from my hand-mixed batch and haven't tried the production batch, so I value your feedback!!

--Anne ::):

• Reaper User

No problem!! I want the world to love my paint, and that means being realistic about when something needs to be fixed, and relying on customer feedback to tell me when there are problems I just haven't noticed because I'm still in my Blue Liner rut and never use anything else...err, I mean, umm. ::D:

I'm also loving the new Stained Ivory mixed with a little Leather Brown as the shadow/base for the Nefsokar robes and mummy wrappings, just as an aside. ::): And it was pointed out to me at our last Paint Club that the new Clear Bright triad was pretty much made to paint a World of Warcraft-style Hippogryph. Sigh. I didn't mean it, really, I'm not addicted!! :;):

--Anne ::D:

No problem!! I want the world to love my paint, and that means being realistic about when something needs to be fixed, and relying on customer feedback to tell me when there are problems I just haven't noticed because I'm still in my Blue Liner rut and never use anything else...err, I mean, umm. ::D:

I'm also loving the new Stained Ivory mixed with a little Leather Brown as the shadow/base for the Nefsokar robes and mummy wrappings, just as an aside. ::): And it was pointed out to me at our last Paint Club that the new Clear Bright triad was pretty much made to paint a World of Warcraft-style Hippogryph. Sigh. I didn't mean it, really, I'm not addicted!! :;):

--Anne ::D:

A-HA!!! That would explain the lack of Painted Gallery updaty goodness! Warcrack has stolen your soul! :;):

*sigh* So many people consumed by WoW...

(Just kiddin', Anne. If anything, I'm just adding impetous for Ary's request for a pic of someone getting bonked by Bonk...)

We got a boatload of MSPs just before Christmas, and I noticed that a few of them had caps that weren't screwed down 100% of the way. I didn't really pay much attention to that at the time. As I've started using them, I've noticed the occaisional bottle that has pretty thick stuff for at least the first drop or two. (I've used less than three drops of any particular color for 80% of what I got.) I'm wondering if perhaps those were the bottles that weren't totally closed, and if the thick stuff is due to a bit of evaporation at the top -- and *if* those are both true, if the rest of the bottle will be thinner and I just need to shake the heck out of them.

BTW, I was initially thinking of getting the VMC suitcase. Then we tried VMCs, VGCs, and MSPs...and by the second paint night, we had half of a friend's tray of MSPs sitting on the table in front of us, and maybe one or two V*Cs. I'm very glad we were able to try them all first!

I finally used a quantity of my Muddy Green (the dark olive) and found it to be a little thicker than the other paints. A thorough mix with my gunk make it work but it did separate more on the palatte than I'm used to with MSP.

Seemed to cover just fine on the mini tho.

Hmm. I just checked the Reaper colours I have, and both have taped on labels. These two really turned me off from the line entirely; the paints are almost plastic-like and have awful coverage. Now it may just be a case of having some from the first bad batches, so I probably should give the line another go.

I didn't realize it was possible to return these. Is it too late to do so now? If not, who would I ask?

If it is too late, I'll just find another bottle of Violet Red -- I was pretty pleased that the colour was so close to the OOP GW Fire Dragon Crimson and would love to find a suitable replacement.

Thankya,

Kep

A friend mentioned his MSP cracking after drying. Anyone had this problem? I only own a few MSP and haven't seen the problem. I reminded him about how important it is to shake the paints and then shake them some more before use. I also told him if he continued to have problems to email Reaper. He's not that active on the forums, so I thought I'd post it.

Lots of things can lead to the cracking which are totally unrelated to the paint itself (primer, cleanliness, thickness of paint, thinners used...).

Right before I moved up here I bought every color that was out at the time, and although I haven't had a chance to paint a whole lot of minis with them, I did go ahead and paint my index (behind each bottle I have a paint chip for that color that way I can see what it looks like dry). They all were great right out of the bottle.