MSP problems

Mclimbin

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The two Reaper paints I tried were Violet Red and Fire Orange; Violet Red because it's extremely close to GW's old Fire Dragon Crimson (which is no longer made) and the orange because it's hard to find a good orange.

Both had taped-on labels, and both were awful batches. It was like painting with that plasticote stuff you use to dip tool handles. I'd given up on Reaper at that point.

When I saw this thread, I wrote and very quickly received replacements. The new paints are totally different, extremely smooth, and cover well. I notice a different consistency mixing them than with Vallejo's, but it's not a bad consistency.

I've been using the orange more than the Violet Red (on the blade of chainswords, to highlight reds, etc) and it's a really great paint. I'm definitely of a changed mind regarding the line. And if I can find a retailer that doesn't have only taped-on labels, I'll be trying more.

So... yeah, in short, I'm going to avoid the taped-on labels. ^_^

Kep

• Reaper User

Cool, Kep, thanks for the feedback on that! I did up the pigmentation and switch the base on the Fire Orange, thanks for reminding me. I think on the Violet Red it was a matter of a different pigmentation. Sigh. Understand that Michael and I are *always* tweaking the line, trying to head off perceived problems and improve on the paint. I don't always remember which ones I've tweaked, and often someone will have a problem with a color and someone else won't, so it can be subjective as well. It's just a trial, really, but I've learned a ton about making paint at this point, so hopefully it will only get better! And I thank you all for all the time you put into giving this paint a chance, testing it extensively, telling me about issues and plugging it to your friends if you like it--you guys rock, you're the ones who are making the Master Series paint line a success. ::):

To get current replacements for any perceived defective paints, you can contact [email protected] or [email protected], just as you would for a defective model or missing part. ::): It doesn't matter if the color you send back isn't a known "problem color"--if you use it and you don't like it, you are entitled to a replacement!

Thanks all,

--Anne ::):

well so far there is a huge difference in quality between taped on and normal labels, every taped on color thus far has been thick, all have been able to be watered down except marigold yellow which just chunks up.

most seem to be aproximatley the same thickness and usally adding a drop of water per a "squeze" (A few drops" of paint gets it to a decent consistancy

Since I dont expect to be able to swap out the first 54 paints does anyone have any ideas or tips for me to thin the paints down to a good consistency in the bottle? I know its tuff not knowing exactly how think the paints are, but I am desperate.

The whole reason I bought Reaper was for the color triads and the perfect consistency of the paints(Taped labels excpeted) and would like to get that consistancy right out of the bottle.

Thank You

Since I dont expect to be able to swap out the first 54 paints

Sure you can, send them in

Seriously?

Where do I send them and what method is preffered? Is it ok to do them in batches? Is all one chunck preffered?

They have barley been used as Im just starting to use them. I was using up some of my old citadel paints before I got to these.

Since we're on the topic of paints and quality, I thought I'd ask this. :)

I have a pot of GW Midnight Blue, which is a very dark blue with a lot of purple in it. Occasionally, the purple in it will leech into upper layers, regardless of drying time, and the highlights will take on a pastel purple hue. As a result I avoid using the paint when I can help it.

I've had my eye on Reaper Ritterlich Blue as a potential substitute (probably have to order it, having a hard time finding shops that carrying it and aren't 110+ miles away).

So first question. How much purple does Ritterlich Blue have in it? Any color bleed problems with it or other Reaper paints?

And second, is it even possible to make a deep, dark blue without a lot of purple in it?

Kep

• Reaper User

Ritterlich was intended as a Dark Prussian Blue equivalent and isn't all that close to Midnight in color and characteristics. It doesn't have an iota of purple; just black pigment and a TON of blue pigment! In reality, with a clear base, you can get a fairly dark blue, but it will be transparent (like Midnight Blue is, because violet and magenta pigments are also quite transparent). Adding black is one of your options to take it darker, but it mutes the color even as it adds a bit of coverage.

Given the coverage issues with transparents in clear bases, I don't know that you'll see a true equivalent in Master paints, though if you mixed Deep Amethyst and Ritterlich you would probably get close. ::): I've been shying away from truly transparent colors except for the Clear Brights. I had been considering a line of Clear Darks, as well, but a lot of that work ended up in the colored liners (Red, Green, and Violet especially).

If you're getting color bleed from Midnight Blue, that's an almost certain sign that GW is using Ink dyes to deepen the color. Normally pigments do not bleed, but dyes certainly do; one of the reasons I tried to develop the liners and Clears as an alternative for ink washes and glazes.

Did that all made sense? I never know if I'm making sense when I start babbling about paint!! :lol:

--Anne ::):

Sorry to bring an old topic to the top but I figured this was preferable to starting a new thread on something that was already there.

What was the final verdict on the taped on labels? I just recently bought about 30 bottles of paint through a third party as well. Of these paints about 10 or so have taped on labels. I'm going to be using these colours for my starting army and will be using the same colours when I go back later and add more mini's to it. Therefore, when I eventually buy replacement bottles to these colours I need them to exactly match the ones I started with. Would you recommend sending them back or going ahead and giving them a try?

I don't mind giving them a try as long as I can expect my next bottles of the same stuff to match colour wise... if not, I'm kinda screwed :(

Sorry to bring an old topic to the top but I figured this was preferable to starting a new thread on something that was already there.

What was the final verdict on the taped on labels? I just recently bought about 30 bottles of paint through a third party as well. Of these paints about 10 or so have taped on labels. I'm going to be using these colours for my starting army and will be using the same colours when I go back later and add more mini's to it. Therefore, when I eventually buy replacement bottles to these colours I need them to exactly match the ones I started with. Would you recommend sending them back or going ahead and giving them a try?

I don't mind giving them a try as long as I can expect my next bottles of the same stuff to match colour wise... if not, I'm kinda screwed :(

with most of the colors, the bottles with the taped on labels are perfectly fine (there were only a few which weren't - such as the glossy pure black)

Well, sat down and done what I should have done in the first place. Tried them out. Overall the ones with the taped on labels seemed thicker, even with vicious shaking. So, in the end, I have decided that I will send them back. I'm just getting back into painting again and really want to start out with everything right/the same.

Overall though I appreciate Reaper allowing me to exchange these for newer mixes. Not every company gives such good customer service and this is something that tells a lot about them.

Overall though I am liking these paints, a lot. I had roughly 16 bottles that were of the new batches and they work great. They definately make me not regret throwing away all of my vallejo game colours that I had. That was probably my biggest waste of money on paint yet. Was totally unsatisfied with the product line and all of my friends(2) who used to paint had quit the hobbie.

Anyways, I tend to ramble a bit but I give Reaper an A+ on their paints and an A+ on customer service as well.

I haven't checked this thread for a long time, but appreciate all the work that Anne has put into explaining all this paint stuff for everyone.

I should also say that after that first time using the yellow, I have not had the same problems with it. I'm not sure what caused the problems, but it seems to be more user error than anything else. Sorry to Anne and the Reaper peeps for accusing them first--I was skittish for no reason about using the taped-on bottles.

RMSP's are the only paints that I have continued to buy, now that they have come out. They are great, the trio system is awesome. It's nice to feel brand loyalty to a quality company that deserves it. It's kind of rare nowadays.