Loom blueprints

Enchantra

Alright I know such a thing must exist someplace out in the wide world of the web...

I'm looking for blueprints for a four or eight harness jack floor loom.

I've just spent the past two hours searching Google and altering my searches numerous times and coming up with zippo. I found auctions for loom blueprints but they were for counter balance looms, not jack looms (There is a huge difference.)

Anyone have links to some online or know of where I can find some I can print out or obtain relatively cheaply without having to fork over a week's pay? :unsure:

This is what I am trying to do. I could go to a good quality floor loom manufacturer and pay around $1200-$3000 for a nice 8 harness jack floor loom. :wacko: (Which I couldn't afford if I tried.) But where I live there are a lot of Amish woodworkers around who can take blueprints and make something for a fraction of the price, and probably do a much better job at it than the companies that sell the looms for thousands of dollars. I'd rather put my cash into the pocket of an Amish woodworker who wants to feed his family than put the cash into some company who's work I cannot see first hand and who's reputation I don't know about.

Thanks for your help guys. (Insert big hug here)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here you go, try this one.

Jack Loom

I love Leclerc looms. I drool over their website regularly.

I checked the link, it shows line schematics for the harness mechanism which is at least part of what I need but I need plans for the entire loom. Thank you, it does help. A woodworker is going to need images of not just the final product but also images with measurements of various parts and how they are supposed to fit together as a whole.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. ::D:

Try this site.. it says plans for looms but I think that you have to pay for them.. let me know if this helps ok :)

-jon

http://knitting.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsi...%2Fweaving.html

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. ::D:

Try this site.. it says plans for looms but I think that you have to pay for them.. let me know if this helps ok :)

-jon

http://knitting.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsi...%2Fweaving.html

Thanks for the link Nikmal!

The only issue I forsee with those plans is I would have to buy two sets due to the fact the floor loom is a counterbalance loom and the table loom is a jack loom. By buying both I would probably have what I needed to get a floor loom with a jack harness mechanism instead of a counterbalance system. So thank you this will probably be what I have to do unless someone finds something else. ::):

For those curious people:

The differences between systems:

Counterbalance/countermarche: The shed is opened or closed by the harnesses being raised or lowered through a pulley system when the foot pedel is depressed. When one harness is raised, another will lower. You will find this system on many older looms, especially antiques. The problem? The pulleys have a tendency to go out of alignment at times, making weaving on them rather difficult unless you are well versed in mechanics and can easily adjust the problem yourself.

Jack looms: A system created and patented in the 1930's. All harnessses raise and lower independently of each other. There are no pulleys to deal with. The chances of something going out of alignment are greatly reduced and the design possiblities are increased as you don't have your design dependent on two harnesses and instead it is dependent on only one at a time.

Most looms manufactured since the invention of the jack harness system have been jack looms. Counterbalance looms are best suited to making rugs and tapestries where jack looms are great for weaving fabrics, shawls, scarves, towels, blankets, small rugs, table runners, vests, sweaters.... You get the idea.