Mouse Burns Down House

Tommy

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't buy the story. Mice are small and unless the man was burning leaves on his stoop, there is no way this could happen. I believe some embers from his fire could have started a fire, but not a mouse. Animals are not that flamable, there is too much moisture in their skin and fur.

I'm with Digital [email protected] on that. However, they do say that truth is stranger than fiction....

If the mouse had run INTO the house then sat undearneath the window.. and the curtain.. it is certainly possible I beleive. The Mouses fur is flamable, and could have certainly been on fire enough that the mouse could have feasably escaped the firey leaf pile and ran into the house had the door been open. So I can see it happening.

More likely the door was open and some leaves got blown in. Hair is just not that flammable. It will singe (take it from a smoker who has a beard) but it will not ignite.

Ask Michael Jackson about just how flammible hair is. Most Rodents store a glycerine rich fat for the winter and shed it off with their fur mid to late summer. If the mouse was shedding its yearly fat coat to make room for the new one, it wiuld have burned slow and steady with enough heat activation (I think being tossed in a fire would do it). Aside from many rodents being flamable, it is far less common for animals to act like candles than you think. Most aquatic mammals like otters, beavers and seals, all have the sime glycerine rich coat of fat and fur all year round. Though it's not "combustable" it is most definately "flamable".

I can believe it.