Wizard Luthor Firebrand

Elouchard

Hi all,

Just wanted to show off a new guy. The paint scheme is not new as I did the same one a couple years ago but the wizard is different. I used MSP quite a bit for this guy, mainly on the golden trim of the cloak. The highlight were palomino gold and golden highlight, which really work well together. The final highlight has white mixed in, but for the most part it is all straight golden highlight. What is nice is that it flows well out of the bottle, making it real easy to go quickly. I also used some khaki and brown liner here and there. The liner is good for lining the cloak trim, no surprise there :) I didn't have any blue MSP, but maybe next time.

The skin is tube Liquitex, as I wanted the smoothest coats on the head, which has very tight creases beacause of the expression. Hobby paint is not as smooth as tube paint and would look like pancake makeup and cover the wrinkles. I used black GW primer also, so I could get maximum detail that white primer sometimes covers up. I could have gone unprimed but I like the black shadows. The base skin mix is burnt sienna + raw sienna + Ti white, with more burnt sienna at first. Then I did a glaze of GW purple ink + Delta C. gloss varnish + burnt umber + burnt sienna to make shadows. The skin mix was layered again to build up the highlights, adding more white to lighten things. The cheeks then got a slight tinge of pink with white + burnt sienna + red. The lips were that mix with more white.

The cloak interior is black highlighted with Adikolor Nightmare I think, essentially just a dark blue. Then the stars and galaxies were done with thinned layers of Ti white, which works better for me than hobby paints for fine details. I glazed the glaxies and dust clouds with a bit with lemon yellow + burnt sienna and some turquoise here and there, and glazed some individual stars with liquitex magenta.

The fire lighting is done with a glaze of lemon yellow + burnt sienna mix, with pure burnt sienna glaze as the shadows (mostly on the rock). So basically I painted the figure normally and highlighted normally but more in the direction of the fire, then glazed color over the highlights, and added a touch of white+yellow+BS at the end. Nothing really tricky, just a bit of preparation and planning.

cheers,

Eric

www.dragonbloodminis.com

luthor_old%201_sm.jpg

luthor_old%203_sm.jpg

luthor_old%202_sm.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

*sigh* :wub:

I adore your star cloaks. They're absolutely gorgeous. I'm curious about learning to use the tube paints. What would be your basic advice for the ultra-beginner in using them?

Lovely job, Eric. One day I hope to see you make it to a ReaperCon I can make it to where I can pester you with questions galore. ^_^

That's gaw droppng awesome. How long did it take to do this?

Thanks! He took around three evenings, so maybe 10-12 hours or so. Photographing and editing took 2 hours though, but it had to be done.

*sigh* :wub:

I adore your star cloaks. They're absolutely gorgeous. I'm curious about learning to use the tube paints. What would be your basic advice for the ultra-beginner in using them?

Lovely job, Eric. One day I hope to see you make it to a ReaperCon I can make it to where I can pester you with questions galore. ^_^

thanks for the compliment :)

Basic advice is to put a medium dollop on the pallette and thin them so they look like heavy cream - not much different advice as for other paints. They tend to be translucent though, so be prepared to apply many strokes. My favorite way is to stroke many times to build up the colors, as the heat from the lamps will dry them as you are applying the paint. They act like oil paints somewhat, but dry faster. Your best bet is to get Titanium white and burnt umber. Those are the most useful paints for minis. The Ti white mixes great to make highlights with hobby paint (or do starfields) and the burnt umber is great for shadow washes and glazes, or lining.

Wow, that's pretty amazing, as everyone else has said. You seem to have a very unique style I've not really seen much, the mini looks more like a painting than a 3d object almost. It's difficult to express, but perhaps someone else might know what I mean.