Interference

ladystorm

it is one advertised application, they also claim in their book to use it on clothing, even shoes(they made a big deal about shoes), with rubber stamps, on glass, mix with pulp when making paper....

so I think, I'll try the snail again tomorrow or so and not give up just yet.

I'm hoping this works out, I have a plan involving a dragon if it does.

cbs

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this interferance paint anything like the glazes/inks and such that you can buy, or am I missing the boat here?  I saw on a website somewhere, that if you mix Future Floor Wax with your Ink, you end up with somehting known as "Magic Mix".  Apperantly (I've never tried this yet), the floor wax breaks the surface tension on the ink/wash medium, and permits it to sink deeper into the recesses while improving it's flow off the high spots.  (I use ink straight out of the pot, with a wet brush to dilute it a bit, and I often find the premixed inks look great while it's wet, but upon drying, it's flowed OUT of the lows, and sort of "stained" the high spots.)

The scary thing about this idea though, is that someone was sitting around one day, spied the botle of floor wax, and then wantonly mixed it with their paint!   :p

I will add some info here. At a local ceramic store they carry "stians" all stains are in, ceramic lingo, is acrylic paints. they carry a wide variety of "pearlized" colors. The paints are by Duncan, and you will normamlly only find Duncan paints at a ceramic store. There was one, don't remember the name at the moment, that was a white with a gold pearl tone to it. Used it on my water sorceress and then trimmed her out in a pale gold and a another pearl paint I have that is blue with gold tones in it. (will post pics. when I finish her) I am using the same white-gold pearl on the snail (I thought he would make a good familair too! Great minds thing a like!) Anyway, these Duncan stains have a great color choice. Bought some greens, blue-greens and blues to use on a mermaid I have here.

Lady Tam

I've done mixing in silver & even mixing in gold.

Works okay for the sand on a beautiful beach, works less well for the subtle generalized sheen of silk clothing.

The more the surface is rough & therefore likely to have the sheen broken up into sparkles, the more mixing in metallics will be appropriate/ attractive.

I saw on a website somewhere, that if you mix Future Floor Wax with your Ink, you end up with somehting known as "Magic Mix".

Yes, Magic Wash. It works nicely. I do not always do it, since it gives a different "wash" than I want sometimes, but it is a useful and effective technique.

It does need to be Future, either - any acrylic floor wash will do. I use some generic no-name brand stuff that also gets used on my floors. Go figure.

Here is the place I found the description of the technique:

http://www.paintingclinic.com/clinic/guest...s/magicwash.htm

Anyone use any sort of interference medium in their paints, like a glaze or metallic sheen? I saw some acrylic interference that said it could make a pearlescent finish... wondered if anyone has been successful using something like that.

Something else besides interference paints that you might want to look into are texturizing media such as Liquitex puts out.  They have media that add dimension, and texture to pieces.  Another thing you may want to try is some stuff Delta Ceramcoat has out on the market that seems to be a seasonal item around where I work.  It's fake snow and other glittery materials, that you can paint over or mix paint in with to create interesting shimmering and glittery effects along with more dimensional effects.    :p

I have five different varieties of media from liquitex that I use Enchantra. :D

It works well on some things, but definitely not on cloth. I also did an experiment (failure) where I tried it as a base material... needless to say it does not do well in very thick stacks... never, ever seemed to dry (weeks later I could indent it with finger!). :D

I've used it to great effect on the earth elementals... and as the base coat on bases (!) it works well. :D

For those of us who can't find it, how does mixing in a little bit of silver to the paint work?

I've been using a bit of Citadel's chainmail silver with blues or greens to create a richer loking fabric color.  I dont think it looks silky, more like satin.  I've used it for cloaks and tunics.  

I've also mixed a bit of copper in with brown on bows and small leather bags to richen up those hues.  Looks cool to me.

-- then again, my wife buys all my clothes for me  :p

Has anyone tried using the Delta Ceramcoat Paint Jewels? I noticed it at Michael's the other day and though "Wow, perfect for gems and maybe dragonscales and treasure." I didn't get any yet because I didn't have enough money at the time (no matter how cheap they were, other things, like lunch, were more important).

I've been using a bit of Citadel's chainmail silver with blues or greens to create a richer loking fabric color. †I dont think it looks silky, more like satin. †I've used it for cloaks and tunics. †

I've also mixed a bit of copper in with brown on bows and small leather bags to richen up those hues. †Looks cool to me.

-- then again, my wife buys all my clothes for me †:p

Okay, I do have access to that easily, and without looking for other paints.  I'll give that a try, next time I'm painting a Noble Lady type mini.  Thanks.

And yes, I also have the fashion sense of a newt, so my wife comes along when I buy clothes, and is vested with veto power.