A Good Read

papabees

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Reality Dysfunction (Space Opera, I guess) It's a 6 book series. Books 1 & 2 are called the Reality Dysfunction, books 3 & 4 are called The Neutronium Alchemist and books 5 & 6 are called The Naked God.

In Death Ground and The Shiva Option... if you are feeling REALLY feisty you can read Crusade, In Death Ground, The Shiva Option and Insurrection. They are all written by David Weber and Steve White and they cover about 150-200 years of time in the Starfire Universe.

Epic SF? Dune...

Also look at David Brin's Startide Rising, and then the Uplift Trilogy (Brightness Reef, Infinity's SHore, Heaven's Reach). Definitely big ideas and epic in scope...

Other good SF includes: Heinleins Starship Troopers, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Niven & Pournelle's The Mote in God's Eye.

Damon.

The Gap Series by Stephen R. Donaldson

The Man Who (Killed His Brother/ Risked his Partner/Tried to Run Away/Fought Alone) by Stephen R. Donaldson

Coldfire Trilogy by C.S. Friedman

Pretty much anything by William Gibson or Neil Gaimen

Farseer Trilogy, Liveship Traders Trilogy, Tawney Man Trilogy by Robin Hobb (in that order)

Anything by Robert Howard

Fafhrd and Grey Mouser Books by Fritz Leiber

New Crobuzan books by China Mieville. (Perdido St Station, The Scar, The Iron Council)

Red/Green/Blue Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson

Bopper Universe books by Rudy Rucker (Software, Freeware, Wetware, Realware)

Armor by John Steakley

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

Slan by A.E. van Voyt

A Fire Upon the Deep, A Deepness in the Sky by Vernor Vinge

Memory, Sorrow and Thorn trilogy by Tad Williams

Domesday Book and Firewatch by Connie Willis

Of course, I have to put my word in for anything by Robert E. Howard. There's quite a few collections of his work available (3 volumes of Conan, the Solomon Kane collection, the Bran Mak Morn collection,etc). The Dragoncrown war series by Michael Stackpole is good,too. Read the prequel The Dark Glory wars first. If you like horror, give anything by author Tom Piccirilli a try. I especially liked A Lower Deep and November Mourns.

Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein. Such imagination. It was so advanced, they couldn't afford to replicate it in the movie.

I know its Games Workshop, but I really recommend the Gaunts Ghosts series by Dan Abnett. Its the way 40K should be.

Or if you're into Star Wars, try Timothy Zahn's books. Very good.

Oh, and if you enjoy a little humour in your fantasy (like the quote in my sig), look for Blue Moon Rising, the Hawk and Fisher series, Return of the Blue Moon and Blood and Honour, all by Simon R. Green. It has seriousness and fun all rolled into one.

You know, I've always wanted to read the Red/Green/Blue Mars trilogy. Everytime I'm at the bookstore I end up picking up something else. For those of you that have read them how would you rate the series?

It's definitely not a quick and easy read. I enjoyed the series. Good characters. It took me a bit to get into the series. I think more because I had been on a long Fantasy kick before reading it, so it was hard to switch my brain over to the Science/Tech side.

The Elenium (Dimond Throne, Ruby Knight, and Sapphire Rose) and the Tamuli (Domes of Fire, the Shining Ones, and The Hidden City) by David Eddings. His Belgariad series is also good, but a bit long and repetative.

The Dragon Riders of Pern series by Anne MaCaffery

The Cronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis

Anything written by R.A. Salvatore, especially his Forgotten Relms books (start with the Crystal Shard).

The Oath, by Frank Peretti

TS

Weber and Flint's March UpCountry et seq.

Miller & Lee's 'Liaden' universe - primary story arc is Conflict of Honors; Agent of Change; Carpe Diem; Plan B; and I Dare. Prequels/side stories include Crystal Soldier and Crystal Dragon (distant past), Balance of Trade (about 100 years prior to the main arc), and Local Custom and Pilot's Choice, which are about the parents of the main characters in the primary arc. EXCELLENT space-opera.

I also recomend David Eddings Belgariad and his Maloreon series if you like the Belgariad (5 books) I didnt see anyone say anything about Terry Brooks yet so check out the Sword of Shannara or his Magic Kingdom For Sale books both are excellent reads and have multiple sequels. Finally if you want epic and i mean EPIC try out Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. He still has one more to write to complete the story but believe me there is plenty to read while you wait for him! ::):

Deeds of Paksenarion & Legcy of Gird by Elizabeth Moon (Fantasy)

Any of Elizabeth Moon's Sci Fi - I like both the Serrano Legacy (Hunting Party, Sporting Chance, Winning Colors, Once a Hero, Rules of Engagement, Change of Command, & Against the odds) and the newer Vatta's War (Trading in Danger & Marque and Reprisal). I like how she portrays space battles.

The LaNague Chronciles by F Paul Wilson is one of my favorite sci-fi series, I especially love the "healer" bits

Simon R. Green's Deathstalker series is amusing, though I haven't read the newest stuff yet. I like his "dark fantasy" stuff better - start with Blue Moon Rising, then read the Hawk & Fisher novels, and finish with Beyond the Blue Moon. The rest of the "demonic" fantasy he wrote can be read, I think, in any order.

I could go on and on, but I should be painting. =)