I've come across yet another interesting problem (for me, at least), transporting cavalry models. Usually I just use the magnet and cake pan method, but every cavalry model I have (and will be getting, presumably) is too tall to fit inside the pan and close the lid. I've looked for deeper pans, but the only ones I've found are pound cake pans, deep enough, but only enough room for maybe 3 models.

So I wanted to ask, how do you guys transport your cavalry?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3" Army Transport tray, though you'd need a 4" if the cav have elevated lances. You could probably fit 12-15 in a tray. I've got Lord Vandrian in a 4" tray due to that pennant, so he doesn't always go with me to games (he's the tray's only occupant).

I use plastic pistol/accessory cases. I got them at Dick's Sporting Goods, but they might be available at other sporting goods stores. They are plastic cases with egg carton foam inside -- it's the kind of foam that isn't flat, but rather has two layers of what looks like mountains and valleys that interlock with each other when you put them together. I find these to be exceptionally useful for minis because the eggshell foam accomodates the odd sizes and shapes of minis better than flat foam.

FYI, if you go to Dick's, they might have three different sizes available: a small pistol case with one layer of foam, a larger pistol case with two separate layers, and a rifle case. You want the large pistol case. The dimensions are approx. 12" x 6.5" x 16". Stay away from the smaller ones. They're ok, but the foam seems to be of higher quality in the big one, the valleys and mountains are more pronounced, so you get bigger nooks and crannies to fit minis into, and pricewise, you get more space for your money. I haven't put any cavalry into it yet, but I'm pretty sure they would fit fine. Among other things, I can fit a Grave Horror into it with no problems, and he's bigger and bulkier than cavalry.

I'll second the vote for gun cases.

Doskocil is the brand you're looking for (and usually the only brand available).

You can get the following case for about $10-$20 at any major sporting goods store that stocks gun cases:

http://doskosport.com/Catalog.plx?ID=48

Of course, for maximum army transport capability and customization, you can't beat:

http://www.reapermini.com/store/customer/p...9&cat=42&page=1

My Beastriders fight fairly well into my Reaper Transport case. There are a couple of guys that are a smidge too tall, but they are close enough. I leave them standing upright. When the 3" depth replacement tray becomes available I will likely use them. Since the weapon arm is the only point that sticks up, I just made sure when I attached them, I kept most of them lower, as if they were in mid swing, as opposed to benig at the start of a downward swing.

You guys with the big horses and long lances...good luck :lol:

There is a 4" deep replacement tray available now through S2P. One of those trays might work out, even if you have those lances straight up.