LOS and Cover

OK, I know that you gain LOS for ranged attacks if you have at least a 1/2 inch corridor (and magic, and Sure shot attacks require only a sliver to shoot through).

Question 1)

LOS only means you can see the target, it doesn't mean that you automatically have an unobscured shot. My question is, even with LOS to the target, shooting through such a corridor means you often cannot see much of the target miniatures base. In such a situation is the target granted cover?

For example:

Duke Gerard is standing an inch behind 2 Templar warriors, with only the barest sliver of him exposed between the 2 models. An Elven archer shoots at the Duke (having LOS due to Sure Shot), does the Duke get cover from the Templar Warriors?

Question 2)

If a model does not have Sure Shot, and therefore requires a 1/2 inch corridor to shoot through, does that mean it needs to see a minimum 1/2 inch of a models base to be able to shoot at it?

For example:

Duke Gerard is standing behind a single Templar Warrior, with 1/4 of an inch of himself exposed. There are no other models anywhere near, so the Bull Orc archer firing at Duke Gerard can draw an 1/2 in corridor of LOS to Duke Gerard that include the small 1/4 inch portion of Duke Gerard that is exposed. Can the BUll Orc archer fire at the Duke?

Probably funny that I'm asking such fundamental questions now, but to tell you the truth I rarely have ever used ranged attackers while playing Warlord. And when I have played against them we have not designated any cover bonus' for the above situations, and have allowed shots like those in Question 2 to be taken.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We reworded Sure Shot with the second printing to help clear up this question. Sure Shot allows models with it to ignore obstructions in the LOS corridor. However if the LOS is blocked completely, the shot is impossible.

In your example the Line of Sight corridor to the Duke is obstructed by the two warriors, but not blocked. Therefore, anyone could shoot at the Duke, models with Sure Shot would ignore the obstruction and not suffer penalties for it.

So for Question 1)

The answer is no penalties are incurred For a sure shot model. And ifg I understand correctly "any model" could fire at the Duke in this situation, but they would suffer cover penalties if they did?

I'm still confused, we had previously been playing it that if you did not have at least a 1/2 inch corridor, and you did not have Sure shot, you could not obtain LOS and therefore could not fire, is this incorrect?

So for Question 1)

The answer is no penalties are incurred For a sure shot model. And ifg I understand correctly "any model" could fire at the Duke in this situation, but they would suffer cover penalties if they did?

I'm still confused, we had previously been playing it that if you did not have at least a 1/2 inch corridor, and you did not have Sure shot, you could not obtain LOS and therefore could not fire, is this incorrect?

correct, they could fire but they would suffer cover penalties.

And yes, you have been playing this rule incorrectly.

Okay, how about when archers on a level 2 hill are shooting at Gerard who is, say, 18" away and 3" behind a line of Templar Knights - What is the LOS/cover situation there?

Assuming the Level 2 hill is 2" and that the archer, the templars, and Gerard are all 1". There is just under a half inch vertical LOS corridor. (approx 0.47") ::D:

So we consider base 1 critters to be a 1x1x2" block then.

Ah, right. You're supposed to measure from the base. I calculated from the top of the archer's head (3") to starting at Gerard's head, then panning down until blocked by the templars.

Duh!

:wacko:

The "Hard Rule" for anything not specifically covered by the book is to use your own best judgement and if you and your opponent can't agree on the situation, roll a die to see who is right.

The problem here is that you're getting back into the pythagorean theorem, stick your head down by your model and look at the model you're trying to shoot at.

My personal (yes Personal) rule for elevation and cover is that if I can see most of the model but not all of it, I give the model light cover. If I can only see some of the model, but can see it I give it heavy. If alls I can see is a minute portion (ie the sword sticking up from an ironspine) I rule that I cannot see them.