How many painters hurt themselves when working on miniatures?

Mastertickles

I remember once when I was putting together some minis, I set the glue down on the floor (otherwise known as "my work space", dorm rooms don't have a lot of space), set the mini down, and put my hand down to stretch my back. When I was done stretching, I discovered that I couldn't lift my hand. I had glued my hand to the floor of my dorm room.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was working with a heat gun once. Everything went fine during the actual use, but I got overly zealous in my clean up and gave myself a rather embarrassing burn on my forearm. Though faint, you can still see it. It either looks like a mushroom, or something I really can't mention on a family friendly message board.

BTW, I had the exact same leg injury as Mastertickles once, except I was installing a stereo in a car and it wasn't an x-acto knife it was a full fledged utility knife. Oh well, nothing some toilet paper and athletic tape couldn't patch up (oh and I used some pre-wrap to insure that I wouldn't lose a huge patch of leg hair in the process!!

Hmmm this topic seems to come up every couple of months.

My worst, as I have mentioned previously, was putting a couple inches of spring steel through my left index finger while pinning a model. It's also the only one I would consider an injury, because it could have required medical attention. And honestly, all they would have done was irrigated the wound and probably given me another tetnus shot.

Nicking yourself with a hobby knife, saw, drill, cutting/grinding bit, glue accident are all just hazards of the hobby. You just need to be mindful of what you're doing to avoid most of them. We've all caught ourselves at one point or another because we were most likely using a tool in an unwise manner, or not giving the project the attention we should be giving it. We're also fortunately using very small version of bigger tools that are easier to manipulate. It's why the majority of us are only reporting minor injuries, and nothing that requires digit reattachment, lots of stitches, transfusions, etc. :lol:

Luckily, there's almost always glue involved when I am prepping a mini, so every time I have drilled through or stabbed the tip of my thumb, I've been able to cap it off with some superglue before the blood gets too out of hand. Unfortunately, it usually also results in me gluing myself to something. That's the worst I've done.

my two worst injuries are non mini related - one time I was cutting open a box with a pair of scissors, in a very dangerous manner, cutting towards my other arm, and I slipped and stabbed myself on the side of the arm, just below the wrist. This happened 2 and a half years ago and I can still see the scar.

The other one is on the side of my ring finger of the left hand. I was trying to pit an avacado and held it cupped in my left hand, stabbing the pit with a pairing knife. In theory, the knife is supposed to embedd itself in the pit and then you can easily pull it out (my aunt taught me this technique). However, this time the pit was slippery and the knife ended up spinning the pit and going straight through the other side into my finger. There was a thick flap of skin almost totally severed. To this day there is still a half-circle scar on my finger, and I think this happened over 3 years ago! I no longer try to remove the pit of an acavado in this manner.. :)

My husband has a funny story about superglue, and a pair of shorts whose leg is absolutely caked with superglue on one side (related to said story), but he doesn't like telling it. Probably because everyone but him thinks it's funny. :) Anyway, massive ammounts of superglue drying suddenly in your lap and chest is apparently very toxic and uncomfortable.

/ali

I don' cut myself that much (that my dad's job) but I do have problems with glue. The most embarrassing thing I have ever done was the time I reached up from ther mini I was holding to rub an itch off my face. Two minuted later I realized that my mouth wouldn't open. I had gotten glue on my lips and stuck them together from the right corner of my mouth all the way to the middle of my lips. The scraggly torn up lip skin was there for a week, and I had to explain it to everyone who asked.

Then there was the time I put a superglue bottle in my pocket on the way home from school. Somewhere along the ride the cap came off and spilled most of the glue into my pocket. When I got out of the car a few minutes later, the pocket made contact with my leg. Needless to say, it stuck. The pocket (and a patch of my boxers that were between the pocket and at least a part of the glue) dried and cracked and stuck to my skin.

That wasn't the worst of it though. When superglue dries it releases heat. This heat isn't a big deal when it is on the mini and it is only a drop or two. When it is a whole bottle full it causes minor burns and embarrassing sprints to the bathroom where it is possibvle to rip your pants off. Unfortunatley for me, ripping my pants off didn't solve the problem because the drying and cracking of the glue made the fabric very fragile, so the gluey fabric stayed right where it was when the pants came off. It took over a half hour to remove the six square inches of fabric from my leg. I lost a ton of hair, several layers of skin, some underwear, and the right pocket out of a perfectly good pair of pants. Glue, of any sort, always goes in the backpack now.