Put yourself on the Map (MiniPainters, Warlord Players, and CAV Players)

Split from the "So where does everyone live?" thread...

I've created three Frappr maps: one for Mini Painters, one for Warlord Players, and one for CAV Players.

Basically, Frappr uses Google Maps to allow groups to map locations of their members.

Please add yourself and see who is nearby!

Ron

PS: Maybe this thread should be pinned?

PPS: Edited 13 Feb 06 to add one for CAV Players

Since Frappr has closed:

So, I've setup this real quick for now, gotta get going soon though so just gonna post it here, get around to maybe starting another topic later.

http://mapservices.o...ap/ReaperMapper

It seems like it'll mostly work, I just hope we don't hit the 500 marker limit, as then yeah... Maybe if that happens I can look at this giant thing telling me to check out the "premium" features.

Edited by ladystorm
update
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I think it is really cool, but also kinda scary... Partly wish we made the group a "private" group, that people need to get approved to get into, but overall I guess I am not overly worried about it.

So how many little icons can be stacked in one area? I know my area alone has somewhere near twelve potential players that could sign up.

Way back a few years ago Bravenet offered a member-mapper, but the program was not as robust and there was no place for uploading pics or allowance for HTML. This map's WAY groovier.

So how many little icons can be stacked in one area? I know my area alone has somewhere near twelve potential players that could sign up.

I think that there can be a very large number of icons stacked in an area. Of course, depending on the scale, they might show up as one icon. But, if you zoom down to the city or lower level, you'll see the icons separate out. You can try zooming in around the Chicago area where, on the continental map map, the people there appear as 1 icon, but if you zoom in, you'll see the icons separate out.

Well, I think it is really cool, but also kinda scary... Partly wish we made the group a "private" group, that people need to get approved to get into, but overall I guess I am not overly worried about it.

If there is enough concern from enough folks, I can see if I can make the group private.

Ron

I"ll have to check that out.

Steve just signed up in my ZIP code (of course) and my li'l red map pin disappeard. *pout* So I went into my profile and found where I can move my map pin around. Would you believe when I signed up it actually placed my pin THREE HOUSES DOWN from where I really live?

Poor Steve is standing out in a cow pasture across the tracks! :lol:

Have you used Google Maps before? If not, find yourself, zoom down to the lowest level (street), and then click on the Satellite or Hybrid buttons in the upper right hand corner (do this either in Frapper or Google Maps). If you live in a major metropolitan area, you should be presented with a satellite image of where you put your pin.

Google Maps is at maps.google.com. Very handy for directions since you can switch between the map view and the hybrid view to get an idea of how things really look where you're mapping. The maps can be several years old, so in areas that are in development, you may get a map of a field where you know there is a shopping center or new houses. Also, the locations can be a touch off.

For example, try this link. Look familiar to anyone? (I've never been, so I don't know if it's accurate or not).

In Google Maps (which seems to have a higher resolution image), I can see my car in the driveway when I zoom in close enough.

Ron