Classic Battletech Back?!?

AJCarrington

I still enjoy sitting down and playing B-Tech every now and then and I enjoy the level of detail in the damage. The ranges are a bit annoying being more like close ranged slug-fests at times. I can and have dropped down a combined armes regiment but the game really, really drags when you get a lot of units on the field. My favorite game had to be when we cleared out the downstairs gaming room which was about 20X30 and played out a full planetary invasion. It took us the entire weekend to play it out but was awesome to play.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am an B-tech player who got in in the early 90's and have always loved the mech combat. We could generally run a game of about company v. company in about 4 hours with me running one company against up to 12 people each with a mech. We used a few house rules to speed things up but stayed fairly close to the rules. Our games always seemed to go fast due to good die rolls and poor ones on the part of the Op-For. I love CAV for fast play on large scale but will probably never give up B-Tech.

Well I have to give credit to fanpro for realizing that this rework HAD to be done. I started playing battletech right when the name was changed from Battledroids to Battletech....In fact I remember making the choice to buy the Battletech boxed set rather than the latter because I liked the name better. This re-release is a direct result of complaints from the people trying to demo the game. The CBT universe is far too unwieldy for new players and this is an attempt to market the game in a way that will bring in new and younger players.

I personally gave up CBT when I was exposed to Heavy Gear, as I feel that is is a superior game...and it doesnt take 5 hours to get through a game. My buddies and I do still occasionally pull out the mechs and play a pick up game or two....(Centurion too) but as of this moment, I do not plan to dig out my mechs just yet. It would take major rework of the system to get me back.

But again I say.....fanpro deserves credit for its attempts to keep CBT alive.

PS: I keep toying with the idea of selling off my 200+ 3025/2750 minis, but I just cant do it......