The Druid's Stone Miniature Diorama

Arkayn

I'm so happy!! ::D:

I just got my item from my won ebay auction. After months of trying to find the Druid Stone diorama created by Reaper (Scuplted by Sandra Garrity). I now own an original.

I was just looking over the box and didn't realize how old it was.

Any how, has anyone done one of these. I just tried sitting the pieces together and they don't seem to go flush together. I've also noticed that the dragons front legs don't seem to want to sit down onto the base correctly.

My camera is not working correctly right now, so sorry for not posting any pics.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any how, has anyone done one of these. I just tried sitting the pieces together and they don't seem to go flush together. I've also noticed that the dragons front legs don't seem to want to sit down onto the base correctly.

Congtratulations! I have one of those, too, although I've never assembled it because IIRC it has the same ill-fitting parts. I think I set it aside in favor of 'someday' -- learning to cut, move, pin, fill gaps, sculpt a little and paint well enough -- to make it look great. Sorry I can't be any direct help, but I can sympathize and reinforce the request for advice.

Whaddaya mean you didn't know "how old" it was...what are you implying? I bought it when it came out just ...a...coup...ummm, few....um, years ago. :-(

And nope, I never put mine toegther either. Still Mint in Box. As is most of my collection.

:lol: Same, here. Seems like only yesterday...

I'm so happy!! ::D:

My camera is not working correctly right now, so sorry for not posting any pics.

Heyas,

I've put together and painted one of these. Mine also had problems with the body joins on the dragon, bad enough that I just ended up getting the tail and legs filed till they fit as closely as possible and puttied the resulting large gaps to match. If yours isn't a flash problem, and fixed with filing, I strongly suspect you'll not be able to get out of needing to fill and texture the gaps too.

Maya~

I have one of these on it's way to me. I cannot wait to put it together. If I have to fill gaps, I use Apoxie Clay, as you can smooth it with water and model it easily. Since it doesn't have the "give" that green stuff has though I use it only for items that are going to be Display items.

I've never seen one of these put together, how come it seems to be one of the kits to "get"? Just curious about it's appeal.

It was a limited edition put out by Reaper several years back. The design for the miniature was done by the famous Keith Parkinson, who sadly is no longer with us. His artwork is very popular and this miniature's popularity is part of that.

I have found that most larger figures or kits require at least a little bit of work to get the parts to fit together nicely. If you have never done this kind of work before...I would not suggest trying it out on this particular model. Get used to sculpting and pinning on much easier kits first. (Like any of the plastics put out by games workshop.)

Congrats on winning the auction though!

Thanks for the input and feedback everyone. For now, it will sit nicely in its box on my mini shelf/table and be starred at from time to time. Someday, the time will come to assemble it and then display it.

I would love to see your finished item Juilee and Enchantra when it is completed.

Thanks for the input and feedback everyone. For now, it will sit nicely in its box on my mini shelf/table and be starred at from time to time. Someday, the time will come to assemble it and then display it.

I would love to see your finished item Juilee and Enchantra when it is completed.

When it's done I'll post it. Right now I have some other more important RL things that have taken center stage for the time being. So maybe I'll get to it by summer - I hope. :blush:::(:

sigh.. I pulled this one out of his blister last night, and though the legs MOSTLY fit in place, there was some really bad flash in the space between his two front legs - and on one side, the casting was all misformed, so I'm going to have to do a bit of repair work there. The hind legs didn't sit quit flush with the rest of it, and there's some space at the "ankle" to fill in. The girl and rock look like they ought to fit in their spaces alright, though.

It's probably too old to get a new torso piece from Reaper..

/ali

Does anyone have a link to a picture of this mini? I am a fan of Parkinson's work and would love to see it. I am really looking forward to the release of his Northwatch Dragon & Rider by Darksword minis.

Decado

I don't have a bare metal pic, but here is an older picture of my painted one.

Maya~