Vallejo paints,,,

CripDyke

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

go ahead & thin them in the bottle if you like, though i'd usually thin them outside the bottle, that's just a preference for keeping the paint dense. I can always add water but I can't take it away as easily.

Still, your call.

I have noticed that the paints are great & cover well even when thinned, but that individual bottles don't all start the same consistency & some are more watery & need less thinning than others.

so, if you decide to thin in bottle, go for it! but do it carefully on a bottle-by-bottle basis, and only as much as you need.

I personally would not. One of the strengths of Vallejo is the density of the pigments, allowing the user to paint, say, white directly over black with acceptable coverage. If you thin the paint in the bottle you may loose this capability. Better to thin outside the bottle rather than take away a capability you might find useful in the future...

Damon.

Outside the bottle definitely.  You can always go to Michael's, Hobby Lobby, or the like & pick up some extra empty paint bottles and store a thinned version of the paint separately.  That way you leave yourself options:  fullt paint or thinned paint.  As opposed to only having thinned paint, or buy a second bottle as options...

My 2 cents...