My lack of availability...

Kheprera

So, it began the week after Christmas. I started putting in applications at work like mad. About 18 in all (counting the three I put in today) in the search for a permanent position. Right now I'm seasonal and I don't like the stress of worrying about when/if I'll get furloughed (vacation without pay). With a recent spate of retirements, news that our service center is NOT going to be one of the ones closing, and a new area being moved in from Philadelphia, a lot of perm positions have started opening and I've been applying.

My desktop publishing position petered out, so I was looking at going back to Data Conversion (blech), so I managed to wrangle a new seasonal position as a Tax Examining Technician. Basically, I get paid more for look at tax documents. This works for me.

I did turn down one perm position that was just offered to me this last week, but I would have been on the phones 50-80% of my time dealing with irate tax payers. Not my cup of tea. I respectfully declined the position. I also didn't care for the "committee interview" they conducted. What is it with this kind of interview? See how well the interviewee acts under pressure when trying to answer questions from four+ people? I was more nervous/upset coming out of that interview than I was going in! :wacko:

There are still about 13-14 positions I've applied for that I have yet to hear from. Some I know I definately qualify for, a few are on the iffy side mainly because of the grade, but I should technically qualify.

So, keep your fingers crossed that I get something. It will be a huge worry off my mind.

But, I won't be on nearly as much. I'm so worn out right now from work when I get home that I don't feel much like getting on the computer. Plus we're really trying to get the house straightened up some so I'll feel better getting back into painting. I still need to finish the mini I started at last years ReaperCon.

Anyway, just thought I'd drop ya'll a note in case anyone wonders. No, WoW didn't snag me (as if! ick!) and The Sims hasn't torn too much into my free time. It's been work and Thomas and just de-stressing, that's all.

I still love you guys! :wub:

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah yes, the job search...

At least you're out of school. Every resume and cover letter I've sent out explicitly says "I graduate in May," and yet for some reason this little fact seems to escape anyone that's called back. So far only one has at least been nice about it (Oh, really? Well what we usually do then is ask you to reapply later in March).

At least you're out of school. Every resume and cover letter I've sent out explicitly says "I graduate in May," and yet for some reason this little fact seems to escape anyone that's called back. So far only one has at least been nice about it (Oh, really? Well what we usually do then is ask you to reapply later in March).

Wait till you are out of school and you get the excuses of "Sorry, we cannot hire you, you're over-educated." I have lost track of the number of times a prospective employer has told me that. And I'm not talking about retail jobs or even Factory work. I'm talking about office jobs that would pay decently, including things where I could actually use my degree. Trust me it will happen to you at least a few times.

Ary: Good luck. I know you will find something there. You're a hard worker. Something will come through. Hang in there.

"Sorry, you're overqualified for this job."

Try something like this (but using yer own words): If you look at my job history, you'll see I stay at least a year and I am very willing to learn from and teach others. Can we talk a little bit more to see if there is a way you could benefit from me working for you for at least a year?

blah-de blad-de blah... but something like that *may* re-direct the interviewers thinking...

And p.s. Ary very best wishes on the job hunting!!!

"Sorry, we cannot hire you, you're over-educated."

I'm pretty sure you could point out that as descrimination if you wanted, an employer really should be looking at whether you are qualified for a job, and have the ability to perform said job; if you fit the bill you shouldn't simply be tossed aside because you have an additional set of skills. An employer would sound absurd saying 'We're not hiring you because you have atheletic skills in addition to those we are looking for', so why should they be able to say 'We're not hiring you because you have intellectual skills or an educational background in addition to those skills we are looking for'.

If you find this is a problem, start dumbing your resume down, include only what they want to see. Don't lie, just tailor your resume with the skill set you have that includes only that which is relevant to the job.

THat all being said, I've never had a problem getting a crappy job because of my University education, hell what else can you get with a BA? ::):