Sign in to follow this  
Nikmal

D&D online has gone gold...

I'm probably cancelling my sub to D&D online. It's fun, but I only get about an hour a night to play, if I can play at all, and all my buddies are well beyond me in level now.

Looks like Auto Assault for me. I played some beta over the weekend and once I got beyond the craptacular starter/tutorial missions the game has been great fun. Nothing like spraying flechettes and psychic powers at hordes of mutant scavengers driving around in mad-max-ified delivery truck. Plus I can solo...

Haldir,

My roomate and I are playing alot this weekend, or are at least planning too. If you want to join up with us let me know. We try to emphasize teamwork when we are going through the dungeons, just seems more fun that way. I have alot of fun with my female dwarf fighter, but then again I have always liked playing the fighter types. I have played with a couple different clerics and they always did well when it came to combat. I think maybe some people just play certain classes better then others. I know I have never had much luck playing mages in NWN.

Decado

Prepare to taste HALFLING DEATH!

I finally got to start playing it. Just got to love halfling rangers :devil: beef up their dex and give 'em weapon finesse... heehee I got mine at level 1 rank 2. Named him Jaquen Thistlepatch on Khyber server.

Accouple things, I still can't sit down on chairs and I'm suffering major lag. The lag issue is my 'puter. But its enough to keep me from running with groups. Hopefully, next payday I can get a better video card installed.

well I went ahead & made a character on Adhar server

guy is male Warforge barbarian named Srapmetal (grrr forgot the c oh well, was wondering why it went through, ha ha)

I blew through the first mishs in the game like they didn't even existed, I think I took a total of 3 points of dmg from everything in the mishs + got nailed by a str poison from a spider (that didn't slow me down at all). I really like this guy, the mish were you destroy the sarcophs & a skeleton or 2 pops out occasionally was a breeze due to they went down with 1 or 2 swings of my weapon (using a maul or a waraxe, depending on the critter), also had a streak goin of 1 shot kills with my shortbow (the one where the kobold is sleeping in the sea tunnel).

maybe cleric isn't for me in the game (even thou they are my favorite D&D class), the feat I took at the beginning was Adman body (ups my armor & other things) & the 1st action point was healer's freind due to the penalty wf get on healing magicks. I like the fact of havng a heal spell & other spells but I didn't need them with my wf.

on thing I've noticed is I'm gettin more treasure with this guy so far then my cleric, odd, other then my cleric got things like masterwork weapons/armor & better goodies when trading stuff to npcs,but overall the treasure is more frequent. Not that the masterwork armor matters as I can't use it anyways (well shields but I'm not using 1h weapons with this guy)

also the barbarian's moverate I'm really liking, my cleric ran to slow for me, ha ha. I haven't used rage yet but I'm sure that'll be a kick to see in action. I'm about to do the low road quest, & I'm not worried about the swimming, as I "tested" his swim durin the scroll mish, where there is that pool in front of the riddle guy. Even thou in book D&D wf don't breathe, I can see where that would give a slight adv in the computer game, but the breath meter moves slow, which I can handle. So I went to the bottom, got the treasure (bonus I didn't know it was there) & was able to go back up top with little effort on my meter, I'm gonna like that. I can also for some reason move in combat better, still gettin use to the block, & dodge stuff (as it's different the other MMOs out there).

but all in all maybe I just needed a change of character to like the game more. Hopefully thou they do a update where you change your outfit (like CoH's tailor option), as my bright silver spiked pads clash with my green body, ha ha

Decado, maybe we'll run into each other sometime, as I'll be playin him more then my cleric for awile at least.

also before I forget, is there any difference in starter weapons then say a normal weapon?? Is it worth upgrading to a regular shortbow?

later

RM

Haldir,

Glad you are liking your new character! I ditched my starter weapons as soon as I found better ones. I am almost 4th level and it has not come back to haunt me. My roomate and i are planning to play tonight around 7:00 pm EST. I will keep an eye out for you.

Decado

well that treasure i found at the bottom of the pool paid off, it was book of Kyber something something, the guy outside teh Leaky Dingy the 3rd thing on his list + it was a belt of false life (+5 to my hps, wahooooo got like 38 hps now, level 1 rank 2 just barely)

had no probs with the low road quest, heck I even went slow in the tunnel just to test somethings, no probs

I think even thou 'metal is slightly lower then my cleric I think he's better off cashwise. I'm gonna try to be on tonight, need to take that kobold kidnapping mish & stick it where the sun don't shine, if you know what I mean, ha ha

RM

We played Wednesday night, kinda of a blah session, however I did make it to 4th level. 68 hp, 20 str and specialized in slashing weapons makes for a good time! ::D: Activity is slower during the week and the party I put together was not all that great about working together. I am also having some PC issues and my machine is locking up everytime combat begins. I am in hopes to get this worked out soon. No playing this weekend as I took an OT shift. Oh well I will have to do a marathon session next week! My roomate and i are keeping an eye out for you Haldir.

Decado

never made it on there that one night, as I think I fell asleep (bad part about this time of the year, stay up after I get home from work in the mornings, then crash sometime later that night)

tried to do the kobold rescue mish again, man I gotta get a party together for that one. As the corridor of traps just tore me apart.

oh well, still liking this character better then the cleric so I've made Adar my preffered server now.

hopefully we'll run into each other but probably not for a awile since I haven't made it 2nd level yet (almost to 1.3 thou).

RM

Haldir,

We will be playing tomorrow night if you are interested. We are more then willing to help you out with any quests you might need assistance with.

Decado

gonna make time for it tomorrow (weds, as it's my night off) so if your on lmk.

or even pm me here to set up a time.

RM

ok this has nothing to do with DDO really, but with NWN2 coming out in a few months has anyone thought about "building" taltos with it?

There was some scuttle about doing that with NWN1 a year or so ago.

Hey Haldir, I see you’re having an almost similar experience to mine. Made a cleric too, and generally got beaten up by everything in the dungeon while missing. Made a warforged barbarian and was amazed by the difference. DDO seems to stress class differences and team roles more strongly than CoX, rogues pick locks and disable traps, clerics heal/buff/fight in pretty much that order, fighters bash stuff up/tank, mages cc/do damage, etc.

I’m stubborn though, so I persisted with the cleric. Pretty much ‘leeched’ my way through the first two levels with a team, doing waterworks, etc, and served as a healbot.

At lvl 3, I made some very important discoveries. As you get higher in level, clerics get buffer, they’re not so pathetic as the level 1 guys. Your spellpoint reservoir increases to the point that you don’t have to ration spells as meagrely, heals become significantly stronger, your buff duration times go up – which makes buffing more important, and by finding/buying good armour and weapons, you’re sturdier with better AC, have a shield to block with, and can do passable damage. I was able to solo quests a level or two lower than me. Turn undead does evil things to undead significantly lower level than you.

And the magic spell for turning you into a fighting machine = divine favor. I found myself missing much less often and doing greater damage with that self-buff. It’s now permanently enshrined into my spell repetoire. Once your level 2 spells open up, bull’s strength is good too = +4 str. Made my 14 str jump to 18, which was very nice. And I hear there’s divine power later on which is even better.

In a team where you are the highest level, doing an even-level or lower-level mission, a cleric can seriously pour the hurt on, buff the whole party and generally feel godlike. I amazed myself by ending up with higher kills than the fighters. And no, no one died, so I wasn’t ignoring the ‘defending’ part of the equation.

In a team where everyone and the mission is significantly higher level than you, though, and you’re back to an EQ priest role. Stay in the back, bodyguard the ranged attackers at best, and heal your lil heart out.

Most teams are somewhere in between the two extremes. I’m normally up front smashing stuff up with the fighters until someone takes bad damage, then I fall back to spam heal him back to normal, and then head up to the frontline again. Or I end up rescuing the rangers, rogues and spellcasters (who always seem to draw heaps of aggro) by beating in the heads of whatever goblinoid decided to go after them.

If you find yourself wanting to do the most damage or get the most kills, a cleric won’t really suit your playstyle. Fighter-types appear to be the scrappers of DDO, while mages and sorcerors seem like the blasters. But things get better for the cleric as one rises in levels.