Chaos Slug

Ok so I talked to the casting department at Fortress Figures Inc. they said that warmachine miniatures are made of Super Sculpy so i said let me try that. Here is the first result. I might even cast it! The for arms/tentalces are to be added to the pivot holes on the sides of his head. the brown black burn did not distort the mini any. I gave him one eye and 4 sets of teeth. I'm going to sharpen his teeth by monday and I'll post an update image. Comments are welcomed!

post-1986-1140332952_thumb.jpg

post-1986-1140332968_thumb.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All of Privateer's sculptors that I know use good old green stuff. I think they have a couple European sculptors that do use fimo (by the looks of a couple of figs). It's more common for European companies. Fennryll, Rackham, Ilyad, etc work primarilt with polymer clays (super sculpey and fimo). The sculpts are so fragile that they can't be vulcanized normally. Historex does a lot of the RTV molds over there.

Forgot to add that many sculptors who work with polymer clays will do the main body with the polymer, bake it, and then add items like armor in milliput and smaller surface details in green stuff. The teeth I imagine were quite a pain in the butt. Those are one section that may have been easier to add in another medium after the body was baked. That mouth may prove to be a problem when it comes to casting too.

It is a cool little figure though. Nice job with it!

Forgot to add that many sculptors who work with polymer clays will do the main body with the polymer, bake it, and then add items like armor in milliput and smaller surface details in green stuff. The teeth I imagine were quite a pain in the butt. Those are one section that may have been easier to add in another medium after the body was baked. That mouth may prove to be a problem when it comes to casting too.

It is a cool little figure though. Nice job with it!

You are so right! The teeth were a bloody nightmare. I will be doing finer detail in greenstuff I think. yea I think the teeth thing will be a prob. I'm going to have to look into it. Worst case I just break the teeth out and start over with green and smaller. Thanks!

Not wanting to step on any toes (or tentacles), what Matt said was right on.

But, if the sculpt were a little larger, you may even be able to work in reverse by baking or curing a little set of just the teeth and then installing them into softer putty "gums".

Patrick is absolutely right. That's probably how I'd do it in fact. Don't think I'd use sculpey though. I'd probably do them in a harder material that could be filed or sanded down as needed. Probably a GS/Apoxie sculpt mix.

I think I'm goping to try just sculpting them with greenstuff. BTW I love your grave horror!