Name question

Sergeant_Crunch

My wife and I just found out that our 4th child is going to also be our 4th boy. We're looking at naming him Alexander Maximus in a mangling of greek and latin to get to "Alexander the Great." We like it, but I'm wondering if maybe it's just a tad presumptuous (not that I expect him to conquer the world in his early twenties or anything....except maybe on a table top).

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do whatever you want when naming your child, but remember that he has to live with it forever. Some names sound cute as kids, but don't carry so well into adulthood. Some sound like cool names to some, but absolute dorky to others. Names are also not games for adults to play with.

IMO, Alexander is a great name and Maximus is too gamey and Hollywood, but it is a middle name and most people will never even know it. Just my .02

I think I'm in the "tad too monty python" camp. I'm immediately thinking of all the roman names in Life of Brian. Might just be me though.

I wouldn't worry too much about it though if you guys like it, since alexander is a normal name. He'll also have the option of going with max if he likes that better later on.

I really like the name Alexander. It was one of the finalists when my Wife and I were discussing names for the Qwykling. We're opting for family names for the first boy though. Alex will definitely be a viable option for child number two, when and if we have a second (most likely barring biological interventions) and it's a boy.

I'm not overly fond of Maximus for a middle name, but then again, middle names are supposed to make people cringe. Fortunately, they are not often used, and Alex could always just go by his middle initial instead in most situations. Heck, if we have a daughter, she's getting Muriel for a middle name.

Personally, I would not go in with the gimmick name, but it's not my child. I just don't like Maximus either, and can think of at least one unpleasant nickname he could be tagged with right off the bat. You'll also have to field the question a million times, "Did you name him after Russell Crowe from Gladiator?" I think that alone would annoy the hell out of me.

The other thing to consider too. If you're that uncertain about the name, and need to solicit comments, you might want to put that factor alone in the "Not a good idea" column and start thinking of some other options as well and see how those feel.

Just because you don't let much of Hollywood affect you doesn't mean everyone is the same. This is my name cautionary note.

I was going to be Elliot Gordon if I had ended up a boy. A couple of months before I was born my parents went and saw E.T. My mom decided everyone would be constantly asking if I was named after Eliot from the movie, due to when it came out.

But it turns out I was a girl. My first name is Adrienne. Can anyone guess what movie reference plagues my existance??? Never seen the movie, never will.

Would I change my name, not for nothin'. Does it get obnoxious....YES!

Just my 2 cents.

Personally I like Alexander and Max(well) as names. Maximus is a bit much I think. But it is your kid...

And you live in the Rockies too... ::P:

You would think that since I was named after a bar and my mothers favorite hobby I would have more insight into names. I think Otto is a good name for a boy though...

Being "cursed" with an unusual first name that rhymes with all sorts of regretable stuff I can say with authority that if a kid can think of an unpleasant nickname to call your son, it WILL be used.

My middle name is "different" as well (actually, it's more like it was different, it has since seen more use as a first name), but for the most part not many people knew it or even cared what it was.

My mother has a theory that you should never give a kid a first name with more than 4 letters in it, so that it is easier when they have to learn to spell their name...

"My name is Sue! How do you do!"

When I first proposed it, I was joking as I was in the middle of studying for my history mid-term, but turns out she liked it. Forgot about the character in "Gladiator" though. We'd do a family name, but we done ran out of them with the other three. Believe me, I know about names and the amount of teasing that can come from them, which was why I was joking when I first mentioned it. I wonder what would she would say to Augustus Caesar....

before my son was born, my wife & I couldn't decide on either Aaron or Casey (thou I wanted Matt as well (for my fav nascar driver)), but in the end we decided on Casey. Has more of a ring to it, but we did go with Aaron for a middle name, but we wanted it different so I changed the spelling to Aaryn, nothing special but I like the way it's written.

We also thought about Alex but in the end decided not to go with it.

My daughter has a different name as well, Kiana, not totally different like Sun over Hill or something but different enough to be different then say Mary or Janet or something.