Ceramic Palettes?

:0)

I'm currently thinking of getting back into the hobby. I'm interested in finding a cheap ceramic painting plate palette. Would Michael's stock this sort of commodity?

I suppose this is a question that Enchatra would be best at answering. Oh well. ::P:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want one without wells, you can get a piece of ceramic tile from your local home improvement center for like 50 cents.

The ones with wells are more expensive, and you'd have to get them at an art store. It's hard to say whether Michael's would have it or not because they all seem to carry slighty different stock.

I think I got mine online from Dick Blick.

I was able to get a good size square ceramic tile, about the size of small dinner plate.

I got it at Johann's (fabric/craft store), so I would think Micheal's would have them in stock.

the one I really want is the one the Asylum carries, thou DB did have a couple I wouldn't mind tryin as well (which reminds me I need to place a order anyways, need a brush carrier)

RM

Most of the Michaels I have been to do not carry ceramic tiles.

Dick Blick Online has a number of ceramic palettes with wells. They are listed under the watercolor palettes.

I use this rectangular 10 well palette regularly. More often than not though, I use a 6"x6" gloss white bathroom tile that I picked up at Home Depot for $0.39. Actually, I picked about a dozen or so, because they are handy, reusable ones for paint and takes.

I've never had an issue with paint running off the edge and getting on my table. The amounts of paint I put on it at a time are never enough for that to be an issue.

Unfortunately, some Hobby Lobbies only have the plastic palettes. If Michaels' does have them, you should also look for their weekly "40% off one item" coupons, usually found in the Sunday paper.

I got a very handy 14-15 well ceramic palette from an online art place. Not exactly "cheap" with shipping, but well worth it.

Ron

Edited: my Hobby Lobby doesn't have the ceramic palettes, but others apparently do.

The Michael's stores in my area have all abandoned 'fine art' and modeling for kids' art supplies & toys, scrapbooking, cake decorating and wedding stuff. I found one ceramic palette at Hobby Lobby -- just one, late last summer. It's the 7-well 'flower' variety. Bought it, took it home and promptly shattered it on the kitchen floor, thanks to the cheap shopping bag with a previously unnoticed split seam. <_< Stubborn fool that I am, I turned it into an exercise in pinning, gluing and repair with Apoxie Sculpt. It's not pretty, but it works.

If you find a good palette, take my advice and keep it safe at home. Travel with a glazed tile or two, paper or shop towels and an old paint bottle filled with diluted Simple Green, Windex Glass & Surface or your other favorite cleaner.

I have to say that a $.50 6" x 6" white ceramic bathroom tile from Home Depot has been serving me as a fine, fine pallet for more than a year now. Hot water and a little light scrubbing is all that's needed to get it back to its pristine state, and I've got enough space that paint has never dripped over the edge.

The palette I posted earlier, the rectangular welled one, I travel with regularly. It's very sturdy and has survived a bit of rough handling over the 2.5 years I've had it now. When I travel, I usually pack it, and 2 6"x6" tiles depending on the space I have available. If I am limited in space, I'll just bring the square tiles, or as I have done in the past; stop at a local Home Depot wherever I'm at and spend the $0.50 to buy a new one.

What I usually use my welled palette for now is a reservior for water and gunk. I fill a well up of each, dip my brush and do drops from there instead of measuring from a bottle.

I find a combination of a small welled palette, and the tile works well together. If you need a lot of paint (or are custom mixing something, and want to keep it from drying out too fast, fill a well (or a sealable paint cup). If it's a small application of a given color, or something straight from the bottle, use the tile.

When I'm at home I use my welled pallete (the flower looking one) almost exclusivly. I got it from a bead vendor (as a bead sorting tray) for $3, I bought like 5, but some how only have 2 now.

When I'm painting elsewhere I take my Lowes tiles. They ran $0.27 each, so I got like $4 worth so I never run out even if they break.

The guys at my demos are really good about cleaning them too, so thats nice.

If you ahve a bead store (just beading stuff) in your area you can probably find the welled pallette there.

I travel with my ceramic pallets too. I have one rectangular one like what Qwik linked to (but I got mine in an art supply store in the KC area and paid a whole lot more for it- OUCH) and the flower shaped ones (which I actually got at my local Hobby Lobby-so it doesn't hurt to check). So far I haven't had any trouble with mine breaking, but I haven't dropped one yet either. I know if I ever do the flower shaped ones are toast, but the other one is just like Qwik said, pretty heavy and could survive a fall.

I prefer the pallets with wells to the tiles because my paint dries too fast on the flat tile. If that isn't a problem for you--go with the tile. You can't beat the price and any home improvement store has lots of them.

I travel with my ceramic pallets too. I have one rectangular one like what Qwik linked to (but I got mine in an art supply store in the KC area and paid a whole lot more for it- OUCH) and the flower shaped ones (which I actually got at my local Hobby Lobby-so it doesn't hurt to check). So far I haven't had any trouble with mine breaking, but I haven't dropped one yet either. I know if I ever do the flower shaped ones are toast, but the other one is just like Qwik said, pretty heavy and could survive a fall.

I prefer the pallets with wells to the tiles because my paint dries too fast on the flat tile. If that isn't a problem for you--go with the tile. You can't beat the price and any home improvement store has lots of them.

My Hobby Lobby store has the flower shaped pallets as well. I also find that paint stays workable longer with the puddles in a well as opposed to the tiles. Tiles are cheap and useful though.

I got one of the ceramic ones at RAC last year but I may pick up one of the flower ones at Hobby Lobby with the 40% off coupon. There's times when I'm really painting and run out of wells. Yes I know, I can wash the paint off and keep going but that interrupts the flow.

I've used the tiles and old CDs as well but I like the palatte much better. I still use flat ones for simple quick jobs but overall I use my palatte.