Ceramic Palettes?

:0)

The problem I have with the wells is that I have to clean the palette more often. And I hate cleaning my palettes.

Currently, I'm using a wet palette, so I don't have to worry so much about the paint drying too quickly, and I don't have to clean it up every seven colors. Also, I get to do alot more palette blending this way, which helps me get better transitions.

Basically what I've done is I've adopted a modified Derek Schubert technique. I'm just using a wet palette instead of a plain piece of paper.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got one of the ceramic ones at RAC last year but I may pick up one of the flower ones at Hobby Lobby with the 40% off coupon. There's times when I'm really painting and run out of wells. Yes I know, I can wash the paint off and keep going but that interrupts the flow.

I've used the tiles and old CDs as well but I like the palatte much better. I still use flat ones for simple quick jobs but overall I use my palatte.

Don't feel bad... I've got six of 'em because of the same reason AND because I bring 'em to my classes so folks can "try before they buy"... tee hee

I travel with my ceramic pallets too. I have one rectangular one like what Qwik linked to (but I got mine in an art supply store in the KC area and paid a whole lot more for it- OUCH) and the flower shaped ones (which I actually got at my local Hobby Lobby-so it doesn't hurt to check). So far I haven't had any trouble with mine breaking, but I haven't dropped one yet either. I know if I ever do the flower shaped ones are toast, but the other one is just like Qwik said, pretty heavy and could survive a fall.

Yeah, I paid closer to $20 for mine from Dick Blick as well, but it was about 2.5 years ago. I'm actually a bit curious to see if the $10 one they are selling now is the same heavy porcelin or if it's a thinner, more fragile one. My rectangular one is a hefty lad.

I've actually knocked mine off the kitchen table and hit the linoleum floor, and dropped it (slippery when wet) while cleaning it in a stainless steel sink and it didn't even chip. Granted both times I froze up stiff and was preparing for a string of cussing, which I didn't need since it remained intact.

I also have a hunge Tom Lynch one as well. It weighs a small ton, but seems more fragile than the smaller one. I also never use it anymore. Too big and cumbersome to deal with, and it's a pain to clean in anything but a large kitchen sink.

And Flynn, I hate cleaning my wells too, especially the square ones...stupid corners...pain to get into. The round wells are a snap though. Part of why I've been sticking more with flat tiles is because they clean up so much easier.

If you are using flat ceramic tiles and cleaning them in a sink, DON'T SOAK THEM. The unglazed backing sucks up moisture and takes awhile to dry. After they are cleaned, leave them finished side down and let them air dry for a spell.

I had a pallette with wells way back when I first started painting, and couldn't be bothered to clean it, either. Now when I run out of white space on my tile I just dash into the kitchen and start hitting it with water from the sprayer hose. 2 minutes and I'm back to a clean white surface.

If you are using flat ceramic tiles and cleaning them in a sink, DON'T SOAK THEM. The unglazed backing sucks up moisture and takes awhile to dry. After they are cleaned, leave them finished side down and let them air dry for a spell.

This is one of the reasons I have so many of the flat ones. I only clean thim about once a week. Usually tuesdays, then stick them in the dish rack to dry. Because I am impaitent so I soak them.

I did find out the soak up water part the hard way though.

i've used a wet palette for about 2 years now with great success though i can sympathize with those who have alternate preferences.

i raved about ti to my wife as she was about to do a canvas painting in acrylics. she however preferes to use a simple dinner plate! my brother-in-law gave us the remnants to an old Corell set which we used until we purchased a better pattern. rather than through out the ugly patterned old set, my wife appropriated one for her palette. it is what she trained on hence her preference.

though it is not compartmented, it is glossed on all sides so it won't soak up water but cleaned up like the tile or other palettes, quite like washing the dishes... :blink:

it does have a [ugly!!] pattern on it, but it was free!! and there is the rest of the settings to back it up. rather than raid mom's cupboard though, i would suggest looking in the dollar store or Wally-Wolrld [Wal-Mart :wacko: ] for a cheap plate - maybe even find a dinner plate with sections [so the corn and potatoes and meat don't touch?]

to transform it into a sort of wel palette one could ven find a Rubbermaid or Tupperware sealable platter to store it in. i recall a suggestion similar to this when wet-palettes were discussed before, but with the ceramic plate inside - the union of both worlds? - keep the paint open longer and the "comfort" of the ceramic surface? perhaps an idea for a traditional ceramic palette as well. i may try this out myself if i give up the wet palette i use now.

We use this:

03071-1002-4ww.jpg

03071-1002 Flower Palette, with 7 Wells 4-3/4" Dia × 3/4" H from Dick Blick

I also discovered they fit exactly in the Ziploc® Containers with Snap ’n Seal Lids. It will keep paint wet for about a week or so. After that it starts to mold. The containers will fit two pallettes stacked on top of each other. They also make great containers just to carry or store the pallettes safely.