Today is a special day!

:0)

I was given a link from Lanse to Dick Blick.

I took a look at the brushes. I saw W&N Series 7s for six something dollars.

I ordered a few today. :bday:

Does anyone have any special advice for their care besides the obvious dab of brush soap and lots of water and gentle dabbing on a towel, or should that be fine? Perhaps ritual altar sacrifices?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I started to use just normal hair conditioner like Suave or such like to keep the bristles in excellent shape....make sure that it's a leave in conditioner and don't forget to rinse before painting. That and also investing in a bottle of W&N brush cleaner restorer is recommended.

Ahh brush licking. I was a brush licker once. Till I found out that the allergic reactions I was having were directly related to the days I painted. I stopped brush licking... I stopped having the allergies!

It was VERY hard to stop too. I kinda miss it. :down:

You know just get a bush without paint. :devil:

there is one tip i was referred to a few years ago that we may all use but for get to suggest. pre-wet the brush. i dip the brush in clean water, pause for a heartbeat and then wipe the the brush onto a towel before i dip it into the paint, ink or whatever.

the goal, as explained to me was to fill the brush with water under the ferrule - if it's full of water, less paint will drag [via capilary action] up there to dry and ruin the brush. it seems to have worked so far - i've yet to throw away a brush because of paint gummed into a ruined ferrule. come to think of it, i haven't tossed a brush at all since then.

i've also stopped using tissue and paper towels in the hobby area of my table. my wife was going to throw out some threadbare handtowels from the laundry [oddly after they were laundered]. i now use them for brush cleaning, wicking off the ecess paint, etc. since they were trash bound anyway, there is no expense and i can re-wash them with the work clothes, or bleach them with the whites and keep reusing them - try that with those supposed tough Bounty and Brawny paper towels!

Don't let anyone else use them.

Thats my rule with my Kolinsky's. "These are mine, you can use the other brushes, don't touch my kolinsky's."

AMEN!!!

I actually have a secondary set of brushes for guests to use when they come over to paint and don't bring their own gear.

My good brushes are exactly that...mine.

I also find that if you lick your brushes in front of other people it discourages them (usually) from wanting to touch your saliva soaked equipment.

(Wow, that can be taken a few ways...) :mellow:

Eek, the brushes arrived today, but one of the brushes had some hairs bent down accidentaly by the brush protector. How do I get them all back into a point? Licking is not helping.

*EDIT* Nevermind, a friend suggested brush soap. It worked. ::D:

Both brushes are now happy and sharply pointed.