Sign in to follow this  
KenM

Primer color

I'm trying to finish painting all my old figs befor I buy new ones. Some of my old figs have black primer, but I have since used white primer, the fig looks better. Can I just spray white primer over the black and it still have the same look?

You are probably better off stripping them and re-primering. I usually just prime right over myself, but I am somewhat more tolerant of "get it done" painting. Probably has something to do with having a few hundred unpainted minis queued up.

I found simple green worked fine on stripping the primer off of old lead minis as well as the new ones.

YMMV

cbs :upside:

I pour enough  Simple Green to cover the mini in a glass jar, put the lid on loosely and let sit.

With a toothbrush I brush off the primer after it has soaked for about an hour.  Might have to repeat this step.

not very difficult, any problems, PM me.

cbs :upside:

Definately use SIMPLE GREEN to strip your minis!  The stuff rocks, although I've found that for black you need to let it sit for awhile.  On white though the stuff works almost instantly!

My two cents on primers....

I agree with you on using white primer.  I've found that it can help make colors a little brighter (but that may be just me).  The black primer cult (you know who you are) would say otherwise and there is the benefit of having all your black lining done.  Of course, now there's the new clear primer folks (never tried it and don't know where to start) out there that swear clear primer is the way to go.  My advice, keep to what you like and use what you prefer.    :unclesam:

If the minis are thickly primed, strip them and reprime.

If they are thinly primed but might have some thick spots, strip and reprime.

Otherwise just spray over the existing primer.

If you just want to ensure that the minis are evenly primed, strip them and reprime.       :p

I will warn you now...

Simple Green and Pine Sol will discolor your lead minis (I've used both on my old lead ones)... they turn almost black in color. I've since gone to using 3M Safest Stripper (I found it at Lowe's). It doesn't discolor the metal and works well even on paint that is 10+ years old. If the paint is really old, however, it might take several applications. I normally let it sit for about three to four hours after coating the mini, and use a toothbrush on the loosened bits. A quick cleaning with Simple Green afterwards will remove any residue left over. After that I also use mild dishsoap for a thorough cleaning. Let dry completely overnight, primer new, and viola, you're ready for that first coat of paint !!

I will warn you now...

Simple Green and Pine Sol will discolor your lead minis (I've used both on my old lead ones)... they turn almost black in color. I've since gone to using 3M Safest Stripper (I found it at Lowe's). It doesn't discolor the metal and works well even on paint that is 10+ years old. If the paint is really old, however, it might take several applications. I normally let it sit for about three to four hours after coating the mini, and use a toothbrush on the loosened bits. A quick cleaning with Simple Green afterwards will remove any residue left over. After that I also use mild dishsoap for a thorough cleaning. Let dry completely overnight, primer new, and viola, you're ready for that first coat of paint !!

Odd, I've used Simple Green on several minis, even leaving them in overnight and I've never had them get discolored!  I will agree with you on the Pine Sol though, that stuff not only gives me a headache but can really mess up a mini.  I'll keep an eye out for discoloration though now that you've mentioned it.

Another good thing to avoid (not to turn this into a stripping thread) is a mix of Goof Off, Turpentine, and that Orange cleaner.  I'll never do that again!  :O

I will warn you now...

Simple Green and Pine Sol will discolor your lead minis (I've used both on my old lead ones)... they turn almost black in color.

Oh, absolutely. I find that white primer will still cover the discolored minis with no problem, but do not be suprised when they turn nearly black.

OK, if they discolor the minis, will the paint still be normal cor? it just discolors them, does not weaken them?

The paint will be fine; so will the primer. The lead is discolored but it does not affect the ability of the primer to stick to it nor the paint to stick to the primer.

Not worth worrying about, but it will happen to lead minis. I have yet to strip a non-lead mini so I have no idea what happens when you do so.

I have entirely too many minis to worry about stripping ones that come out less than perfect, I just paint a new one. :)

Actually, we have no results yet on what the discoloration will do to the lead minis. I know some things will lead to lead rot (such as certain woods). Since lead rot can take a long time to show itself, I still don't know the effects of the cleaners as strippers yet.

This has been a public service announcement.  :unclesam: