Chat Room D&D

twjolson

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummm - when did you first hear of the internet?

Long ago and far away - MUDs were quite popular, and there were a couple D&Desque ones. For something a bit more personal, there were/are a number of IRC scripts that you can load up to handle the mechanics of D&D and use on any IRC server freely. I use one to handle one of the campaigns I run with people I used to be in the service with.

Now the vast majority of people who want to play, but have no local group turn to MMOG like EQ or WoW. And than you have the more personal graphic games like NWN.

I have several online games running right now. We use AOL's chat for 2 groups and a program called OpenRPG for another. Finding a group you can game with is sometimes harder than finding a way to game... for that, I'd suggest you find some gaming related message boards and look to see if you can find people looking for group members. another option might be a play by post game on said message boards....

The T$R site is down, for obvious reasons.

WotC has some chat areas at their site where games take place. I've gamed on OpenRPG as well. I prefer IRC to AOL for a large number of reasons, provided there's a dicebot around to do the rolling.

Once you start getting a feel for what you like and where to look, it's not hard to find at all. You just have to learn to dig through all of the "18+ Anime-Flavor-Of-The-Week RPG freeform drama" chat areas.

OpenRPG isn't such a bad way to go. I have tried it for similar reason to yours. Access to other players.

You download 3 programs and join up on servers or start your own. I've seen games from Farscape to

various D&D rulesets to Star Wars games. (multiple servers available)

A server called Aerthon (3.5 rules) seems very willing to aide D&D newcomers and offer pickup games off an on.

Doesn't hurt to look.

...I prefer IRC to AOL for a large number of reasons, provided there's a dicebot around to do the rolling.

Once you start getting a feel for what you like and where to look, it's not hard to find at all. You just have to learn to dig through all of the "18+ Anime-Flavor-Of-The-Week RPG freeform drama" chat areas.

Ditto on that. You can also (as I prefer) host the dice bot yourself as the GM/DM. Takes very few clock cycles, and by doing so you know what is going on after you familiarize yourself with the script.

Once you get a group, be sure to password protect the chat as well. Helps avoid a lot of the drama. Send out an email with the password and room name to those who need to know and it should be good to go. I generally leave my DM account signed in all the time in order to keep messages from players as well as allowing them to do maintenance and what not when we can not all be on at the same time (considering one player is in Japan and another in Italy right now...that happens quite often). They can hop in and roll a few dice. My bot records it all and I can review it later as needed.

Back when I first heard of the internet, a friend showed me a site that you could play d&d in a chatroom, I think it was on the TSR website. I was wondering if there is anything like this still around nowdays? I want to play D&D but there isn't anyone locally.

The Site you are talking about was the TSR web site on AOL. It has since closed down and went to the actual web outside of AOL. It has moved twice since TSR no longer owns it.. You can play online dungeons and dragons games on the site itself in thier game rooms. There is a good following of people on there too.

It is also a good place to ask questions and such about the game itself too.

Here is the site if you want to go there.

http://boards1.wizards.com/community_chat.php

(I have been going there for about 10 years now. I was formerly known as TSRO_Kip, WizO_Kip now just plain kip since I gave my chat moderator status up :) )

Hope to see you there :)

-jon