Sign in to follow this  
joshuaslater

Warlord Roleplay

Apologies if this has been posted before.

Does anyone know what Reaper has in store for a roleplaying supplement or whole system based on the world of Warlord?

Will it be it's own system or a d20 OGL chumpie?

It's hinted at in the rulebook, and I would love to see it take off. I'm hoping they come up with an original system, where you can roleplay using the same mechanics as the tabletop game. That would be cool, and convenient for when you attract your followers and have big battles!

The current d20 is able to absorb all the generic stuff that Warlord encompasses, but as an older gamer, I yearn for the days of 1st edition, and the simplicity that made it so much fun. Something hearkening back to those days is what I hope for, but I'm sure Reaper will surprise me with whatever they do and I'll be into it. One thing I can say about Reaper is that they take their time--Warlord was heavily playtested before release, and I'd expect nothing less regarding the roleplay material.

Cheers.

. . .as an older gamer, I yearn for the days of 1st edition, and the simplicity that made it so much fun.

Wow, I've never heard anyone call 1st edition "simple". Lol. :lol:

I actually began writing some ideas for a Warlord RPG that would use the basic RAGE mechanics, allowing PCs to be used as Elites or Leader in the wargame, but I don't know what Reaper has in mind officially. There is mention of a Dark Heaven RPG in the core rules, but they said they planned to keep the Taltos setting system-nonspecific.

I'm not sure if there are any specific plans for a continued RPG. There was a module out awhile back, Eldest Son, set in the DHL Apocalypse world IIRC, of which Taltos is but a small nugget.

Additionally, with the additional fluff, and for folks that have the old Apocalypse boxed set still floating around out there, you could easily adapt Taltos, or all of Adon as a campaign setting for your RPG of choice. ^_^

I bought the Apocalypse Box set specifically for the additional fluff. There's some cool coat of arms in there too if people want to go extra fancy with their painted figures and use the heraldry associated with various locations throughout the world.

Yup, Taltos is easily adapted for any RPG system, but my question pertains to what Reaper has in mind for their own game. Maybe luck will favor us with somebody from Reaper throwin' us a bone.

@kengar--I would love to see these ideas of yours.

As for 1st edition being simpler, well maybe that's just me remembering my adolescent gaming being so much more fun than gaming now, under 3.5.

If d20 is your flavor, AEG is finally releasing the Accordlands RPG in the near future and there are a lot of similarities between their world (coincidentally the "Warlord CCG") and Taltos. AEG's d20 seems too have a history of being a d20 with a superior system to the base system.

@Ranzadule--thanks for the tip; I love the idea of using the Taltos region as the background, and probably will end up running a 3.5 game in that setting, this fall. I'll have to check out their book. Cheers.

I would think that using typical RPG Elves of the Tolkienesque variety would work for the Elves in Taltos and using the evil elves from the Accordlands and changing their necromantic leanings to Daemonic, would work for Darkspawn. The Dwarves look like a fit without much hassle and if you and your players are not too stuck on perfection, you can likely use them straight up. The Overlords and Necropolis are easily enough populated by looking to evil Deverenians and Mercs and the Free kingdoms are a great start for the Crusaders. For Reven, the Nothrog are as perfect a fit as anyone could ask.

I think that the books will be flashed around at GAMMA in March and released some time between now and Origins in June. AEG's site has some previews up and you can always look at the ccg fluff to get a head start.

Now if Reaper does their own rpg, then disregard everything I said and buy that. ;)

It does look useful, I checked out the AEG site, it looks pretty adaptable to me.

When ya boil it all down, I really am going for a backdrop that let's me use ALL my minis!

Even if Reaper never writes any official type Warlord adventure modules, I'd LOVE to see a "world book" in print with even more fluff such as the names of the weekdays (as found in the Crusader book) or languages of races (such as found in the Reven book). If the remaining faction books live up to the standard of those out thusfar, filling in the backdrop to any adventure to resemble Adon will be possible.

I am working on Rolemaster set in Taltos. This is for the amusement of myself and my group.

Woohoo, I am not the only Rolemaster player left! :).

But, on a slightly more serious note, could you please keep us informed on the progress? I'd love to see rules for using RM in Adon.

@josh, I only outlined a brief character generation concept so far, but if I can organize my notes, I'll see if I can't post a "teaser." ::):

@Spike--Yup, even a book with no stats/system and just the fluff of the surrounding world would rock.

@kengar--thanks; I'd love to look at your notes.